Trev's take on the ISU game

Trev's Take

BY STEVEN M. SIPPLE

Trev Alberts, a former Nebraska All-America outside linebacker, is in his third season as an ESPN college football analyst. The 34-year-old Iowa native provides analysis on the Huskers before each week's game.

Alberts praised Nebraska head coach Bill Callahan's decision to reverse his previous decision and allow all Husker players to warm up before games. In addition, Husker defensive coaches used a lighter approach with players in practices, leading to last week's win against Missouri, according to several players.

"I really want to commend Coach Callahan and his staff for a couple of seemingly minor philosophical changes that made a major impact. To see a head coach take a step back and admit a mistake. … In what can be an insecure profession, there aren't a lot of coaches who would do that.

"You can throw out Brad Smith's and the Missouri offense's struggles. Watching Nebraska's defense, you saw emotion, intensity, a want-to attitude. I thought that for a period of time, the team reflected the values of the Nebraska people.

"What you're starting to see is the players taking ownership of the team. Coach (Tom) Osborne always used to tell the players, ‘We'll do our best as coaches, but seniors, this is your team. You'll ultimately decide who and what you are.' The chemistry, leadership and ownership comes from the players.

"Now, Nebraska needs to build off of that Missouri game when the Huskers play Iowa State. The average person will say it'll be an ugly, low-scoring game. I think it'll be a battle, a test of wills. I like Nebraska, let's say 16-10, in a hard-fought defensive battle where defensive toughness and special teams make a big difference."

http://www.journalstar.com/articles/2004/1...36007419609.txt