hey trojan fans

what were your dark days like. I know the story with OU because they are our rival and all, but im not so familiar with yours. what was it like before you started winning again. what are the parallels to are situations... what are the differences. what mistakes do we need to what out for?

Let me collect my thoughts on that.

For starters, Pete Carroll is the answer for the turnaround.

Most fans were shocked that Pete got the job. He was 4th or 5th choice. He was branded as a "failure" because of his NFL days. Clearly he was the man for the job.

Yet, one of our coaches during those dark days was the return of John Robinson who had led USC to a NC when he was coach earlier. It just seemed like you could plug him in and go back to where we were. Didn't happen. Mediocrity continued. However, to be successful you need to have other ingredients besides the right coach. We had the talent. We had the tradition, ie expected to win. We had the facilities. We had the luck to be in a media center. Somehow they all came together when Pete arrived.

What were the dark days like? Well, instead of expecting to win our games, we just hoped we would beat UCLA and Notre Dame, thinking that would give us some sense of satisfaction.

What were the dark days like? There seemed to be an acceptance after awhile that our glory days were past and that was the way it was going to be. There was a new paradiam and we weren't part of it.

What were the dark days like? AD Mike Garrett, a former SC Heisman, re-established the old USC attitude much like the "We are Nebraska" attitude.

What were the dark days like? Well, there is lots of stuff to do in LA and TV, the Lakers were real good, so we drowned ourself in other "entertainment" Thats the biggest difference. We had other things to do. The whole state's honor wasn't tied up with our football team.

What were the dark days like? Early there was a lot of finger pointing. A lot of looking for the magic bullet, ie a new coach, who would thrust us back to the top. When it did come, no one saw it coming.

What were the dark days like? There were a lot of talk about back in the day when the teams were great and remembering our Heismans (Pre O.J. remember!)

What were the dark days like? Dark. You don't want to go there. This Stanford game made a chill come over me like in the dark days. I don't like that feeling. Its not fun. You just have to man up.

what were your dark days like. I know the story with OU because they are our rival and all, but im not so familiar with yours. what was it like before you started winning again. what are the parallels to are situations... what are the differences. what mistakes do we need to what out for?

Most fans were shocked that Pete got the job. He was 4th or 5th choice. He was branded as a "failure" because of his NFL days. Clearly he was the man for the job.

Yet, one of our coaches during those dark days was the return of John Robinson who had led USC to a NC when he was coach earlier. It just seemed like you could plug him in and go back to where we were. Didn't happen. Mediocrity continued. However, to be successful you need to have other ingredients besides the right coach. We had the talent. We had the tradition, ie expected to win. We had the facilities. We had the luck to be in a media center. Somehow they all came together when Pete arrived.

What were the dark days like? Well, instead of expecting to win our games, we just hoped we would beat UCLA and Notre Dame, thinking that would give us some sense of satisfaction.

What were the dark days like? There seemed to be an acceptance after awhile that our glory days were past and that was the way it was going to be. There was a new paradiam and we weren't part of it.

What were the dark days like? AD Mike Garrett, a former SC Heisman, re-established the old USC attitude much like the "We are Nebraska" attitude.

What were the dark days like? Well, there is lots of stuff to do in LA and TV, the Lakers were real good, so we drowned ourself in other "entertainment" Thats the biggest difference. We had other things to do. The whole state's honor wasn't tied up with our football team.

What were the dark days like? Early there was a lot of finger pointing. A lot of looking for the magic bullet, ie a new coach, who would thrust us back to the top. When it did come, no one saw it coming.

What were the dark days like? There were a lot of talk about back in the day when the teams were great and remembering our Heismans (Pre O.J. remember!)

What were the dark days like? Dark. You don't want to go there. This Stanford game made a chill come over me like in the dark days. I don't like that feeling. Its not fun. You just have to man up.

so any suggestions for us? I think we are getting the talent(maybe not for a NC, but certaily to compete for a big 12 title) the facilities and finances.

wow ... nicely put

heh, KU has been in the dark ages for a while in football. Luckily we have a good basketball team. The huskers have a good volleyball team so maybe you can look forward to that?

Really though, the season isnt lost husker fans, only halfway through the season!

heh, KU has been in the dark ages for a while in football. Luckily we have a good basketball team. The huskers have a good volleyball team so maybe you can look forward to that?

Really though, the season isnt lost husker fans, only halfway through the season!

hey we have a good up and coming basketball team too... not at your level, but you never know.... look at our football team

Thank you for the kind words, but there have been warning signs for the past four weeks. :madash

so any suggestions for us? I think we are getting the talent(maybe not for a NC, but certaily to compete for a big 12 title) the facilities and finances.

You have to begin looking at a coaching change. It depends on how you do the rest of the season. This may sound crazy, but I think you can beat Texas. Finish strong and give your coach another year. Spiral out of contention and you have to consider a change. Just like life, its how you finish that is more important than how you start.

Don't turn on each other. Most people on this board are real fans. I think the fair weather ones have pretty much ridden off into the sunset at this point. People like Foppa are real fans. People like him are hurting. I just single him out as an example. There are many Foppas out there. I respect the Solich crowd and the Callahan crowd. You are both true fans.

At this time its very important you remain loyal to each other no matter how much you disagree with the other side's position. Its you, people like you who are Nebraska!

We didn't have the internet like now during our dark days, so outsiders couldn't hear us rip each other, the coaches, the program, the players. Prospective players read these boards. Your voices could easily turn them off. Some of the personal attacks on some of your football players on this board have really been harsh. If a kid missed a tackle or dropped a ball, point it out. But don't go beyond that. Remember what the Okie State coach said.

I wished I knew what the magic bullet was, but if I did I would probably be a high paid football consultant.

I don't know the status of high school football in the state, but I would set a goal of recruiting and developing every good player in the state as well as surrounding states. PC makes a point to make the heart of the team from California. I realize Nebraska high school ball isn't on the level of California, Texas, or Florida. There are lots of players who don't want to go far from home. For example, UNC's new football coach Butch Davis landed one of the nation's top recruits who was seriously considering SC, Texas, and several SEC schools, because the kid wanted to stay close to home and play for a winner like Davis.

Look what Notre Dame and Michigan has done since the beginning of the year. The domers beat UCLA and Big Blue has climbed back into the top 25 and the season is only half over. This year is not a loss at this point. It looks frightening. "Fear doth make cowards of us all."

But I believe when the turn around comes, it will catch you by surprise and come from a direction unexpected.

Sorry for not having "the answers" you need. Hang in there. Find something that works.

GBR

Great insight. You are a great contributor to this board. I think like OU and USC, NU will come back. We just don't know when. Next year? Five years? Ten years? 15 years? It will happen. There is just too much fan passion and fan support. There is just too much breathtaking atmosphere. The facitlities are too good not to. The university will continue to be aggressive in finding the right coach (if indeed Callahan doesn't get it done) to lead the football team back to glory. But we just don't know when. At age 51, I hope it's way before I'm retirement age.