LEFT AFTER HALTIME

OldTimer

How could it get any worse?

We thought it was bad going 6-6 with Gibbs. Then, we believed the rhetoric of an old drunk, had high expectations and climbed the polls only to be exposed and ultimately firing another coach in Schnelly. Then, we wanted a homegrown guy, one with potential, a nice guy but one with great pride. The only thing we forgot was he needed to know how to be a head coach... thus we go 3-8, 4-7, and 5-6 before we finally get it right. When I say it could get worse before it gets better, I just mean good decisions have to be made to avoid making Callahan your Schnelly with still your Blake to go. You get my drift? I love Blake and think he makes a great asistant coach and maybe he will be a good head coach someday, he just wasn't prepared for the OU job. The Nebraska AD has to make sure the next hire isn't just a hire based upon emotion, thinking "How could it get worse?"

Boomer Sooner!!

How could it get any worse?

We thought it was bad going 6-6 with Gibbs. Then, we believed the rhetoric of an old drunk, had high expectations and climbed the polls only to be exposed and ultimately firing another coach in Schnelly. Then, we wanted a homegrown guy, one with potential, a nice guy but one with great pride. The only thing we forgot was he needed to know how to be a head coach... thus we go 3-8, 4-7, and 5-6 before we finally get it right. When I say it could get worse before it gets better, I just mean good decisions have to be made to avoid making Callahan your Schnelly with still your Blake to go. You get my drift? I love Blake and think he makes a great asistant coach and maybe he will be a good head coach someday, he just wasn't prepared for the OU job. The Nebraska AD has to make sure the next hire isn't just a hire based upon emotion, thinking "How could it get worse?"

Boomer Sooner!!

you have some good points there Dusty, I just hope that when the time comes for a new coach at NU, there is not an AD here that does a 1 man search in secret. I hope that there is a committee formed to do the search

OK, let's talk about recruiting. Times have changed for the Huskers. We no longer have the reputation we used to have. We have to admit that we are no longer a school that kids are breaking their necks to attend. Aside from our home grown athletes who know the tradition, why would a recruit from say Florida or California, or Texas want to come to Nebraska. How many NFL picks have we produced in say the last five years ?

With scholarship limitations, Florida has new colleges which we never even heard of just a few years ago (South Florida for instance), that are grabbing up those class athletes that here to for were going to Florida and Florida State. Try telling those kids that they would be better off coming to Nebraska's tropical climes, our sunny beaches, and oh yes, our high academic standards. (that by the way is a place where we can still hold our heads high). Now add in the fact that we will probably finish with a 4-7 record.

Parity is here to stay and with it comes a new challenge in recruiting not only for Nebraska but for all of the Big 12 schools.

Despite what has been said, I still lay the blame at the feet of Steve Pederson and his grab for control. If anyone thinks Callahan is really running the show then there is still hope for the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus. The current coach was rammed down everyones throat with little or no investigation into other possibilities. The only thought was to get rid of Solich and everyone else connected with Orborne. There are a lot of skeltons in the closet of the AD and hopefully someday that closet will be opened for all to see what transpired. I just hope I live long enough to see it.

I respect your views, but I disagree with the statement that Callahan is a fine coach. I believe without a doubt that Bob Stoops, Bo Pelini, Urban Meyer, anyone could coach these same players and get different results.

WOW, you just named 3 of the top coaches in the country....which we will never have!!!

Pederson's personal vendetta against former coach Frank Solich was the beginning of this whole mess and someday this will all come to light. Callahan's "West Coast Offense" may be excellent, but it was doomed from the start for Nebraska for one reason and one reason only. Nebraska will never be able to compete in recruiting with the likes of California, Florida, Texas. For an offense like that to work, you need top-level quarterbacks, running backs, receivers, players that Nebraska can almost never recruit successfully.

I will do my best Gundy impersonation... THAT AIN'T TRUE! I would refuse to believe that Nebraska couldn't compete with anyone in the country for a player! As long as Nebraska hasn't fallen too far behind in facilities, with the right coach, Nebraska will compete with ANYONE in the country when it comes to recruits! I know I was skeptical of the same thing when our AD brought in a defensive coach, Bob Stoops, and he brought in a spread offense. I thought there is no way we are going to compete with the XYZs of the world to bring in QBs and WRs to a running university!

I was wrong and I think you are wrong too. Keep your head up, keep going to the games and keep supporting your Huskers! But, by all means, don't accept mediocrity! And, remember, it might actually get worse before it gets better!

Boomer Sooner!!

:thumbs Thanks! I'll be pulling for OU.

OK, let's talk about recruiting. Times have changed for the Huskers. We no longer have the reputation we used to have. We have to admit that we are no longer a school that kids are breaking their necks to attend. Aside from our home grown athletes who know the tradition, why would a recruit from say Florida or California, or Texas want to come to Nebraska. How many NFL picks have we produced in say the last five years ?

First off, thank you for all your years of being a Husker fan.

I have agreed with most of what you've said, save the Callahan being a good coach bit. I still don't think he is that great of a coach, in terms of the NFL. Most fans of the Oakland Raiders would probably agree with me.

But to bring up NFL picks...this is something that's been reiterated on this board as of late. I really don't think that has much to do with it. Everyone can roast me for this...but I strongly believe bringing in players that see this as a stepping stone to the NFL is the wrong choice. Maybe I missed something during the Osbourne years but I don't think there was a heavy emphasis put on "play here in college and you'll go to the pros." The past players have all said it, you don't recruit 5 star talent, you recruit football players.