My 2 Cents

My 2 cents and I am just speculating. I gotta believe when the move was finally made to go for a change, it was a no brainer that the first reaction was that Coz must go. I am somewhat surprised that this did not occur with a rally cry to try to fix the defense and get fans back on board. But, it appears there was just too much to overcome in regards to belief that Cally had the offense in good enough shape to play for Big 12 titles let alone all the marbles.

So when you sit down and think it through, you realize that to make a change you needed to purge Pud first. I tend to also think that it is not certain but likely that Cally, Coz, and Elmo already know they are not coming back. So, what does this mean for the remainder of the season? What if they rip off a bunch of wins and turn this thing around? I'll never say never...but that scenario could save Cally. Who knows? Maybe now he'll just try to do whatever he can to 1) either save his job or 2) show other teams (NFL or college) that he is still good...I think it will be interesting to see if he coaches differently under this situation...my guess is he will be less conservative (which will probably be a good thing). He now has to shine to show he is still viable head coaching material or at least as an OC back in the NFL. Then again, his wallet is fat and he could just ride this puppy out and take some time off...heck I could even see him in the broadcast booth next couple of years.

I don't wish ill will on anyone. But, now that we have gone ahead with the change I hope the new AD can bring it all together. I tend to think that we will look back at Cally as our Ron Zook and maybe more. He brought new ideas to the offense and got a pipeline of recruits. There are things to build on there. In the end, he may have been alright for this role in this transition...but I think most everyone agreed he was just not the guy to take us back to the very top. A very interesting time in Huskerland. I think Cally would be more liked if Pud was not so divisive in what he did here. But, Cally's attachment to Pud is likely his shortcoming.

Lots of speculation on other threads...I think we may see Cally just a couple of more Saturdays or until the end of the season. My guess is he has been told that he has respect and he will not be required to be embarrassed by having to cut off his assitants one by one (that is why Coz is still here) but rather when Cally goes the ones who have taken heat will all go with him (I am sort of interested on who would be asked to stay on). Barring some miracles, I think this is Cally's last season.

Bizarre...a month and a half ago I would have never guessed this for this season. It is VITAL that our next hire knows exactly what he is getting into...and more importantly wants to get into it because he is driven by this very type of challenge. I remember when Jim Tressel got hired at Ohio State and he just came out and said that the team would be good and they would beat Michigan, etc. We need a confident leader. The problem we had is that Pud was the one to run his mouth off first and then Cally was found later as one of his last choices...Cally was sort of doomed from the start and in over his head as his boss the AD was setting him up for failure...and now it has finally snowballed into this mess. In the end, winning and a return to competitiveness and pride in the program will cure this and all will be well for everyone involved.

GBR