This is Sad

Nate Swift said:

“We work our butts off everyday at practice four or five times at week. On and off the field, watching film and everything to. Everyone of the past three games I thought we were really prepared for, we just did not go out there and execute.”

It really kicks me in the gut to see players blaming themselves like this. I'm sure they've heard BC tell the media that they just didn't execute often enough that they believe it. I think they do execute a poor game plan and poorly-coached techniques well. If you teach people to perform badly and teach it well, they will go out an look like the biggest incompetents in the world. So, IMHO, they are doing exactly what they've been taught. They're great players, but they don't come in from HS knowing how to be perfect players at this level, so they have to learn whatever they're taught. Of *course* it makes sense to them and seem like it ought to work-- it's the only thing they've been taught. So, yeah, I hate to see them pile on themselves like this :(

Nate Swift said:

“We work our butts off everyday at practice four or five times at week. On and off the field, watching film and everything to. Everyone of the past three games I thought we were really prepared for, we just did not go out there and execute.”

It really kicks me in the gut to see players blaming themselves like this. I'm sure they've heard BC tell the media that they just didn't execute often enough that they believe it. I think they do execute a poor game plan and poorly-coached techniques well. If you teach people to perform badly and teach it well, they will go out an look like the biggest incompetents in the world. So, IMHO, they are doing exactly what they've been taught. They're great players, but they don't come in from HS knowing how to be perfect players at this level, so they have to learn whatever they're taught. Of *course* it makes sense to them and seem like it ought to work-- it's the only thing they've been taught. So, yeah, I hate to see them pile on themselves like this :(

seems like player morale just keeps sinking. Nobody to blame but the coaches

Nate Swift said:

seems like player morale just keeps sinking. Nobody to blame but the coaches

:yeah

Nate Swift said:

And did the coaches teach him to drop a punt return and how to turn it over to A&M.....did the coaches teach him how to throw one hand up at a sure touchdown pass from Sam Keller in the second qtr?

Nate Swift said:

And did the coaches teacher him to drop a punt return and how to turn it over to A&M.....did the coaches teach him how to throw one hand up at a sure touchdown pass from Sam Keller in the second half?

I hate to defend Callahan but this is a good point. That dropped punt was a major turning point in the game. There was fan sitting next to me at the game that yelled "Callahan you suck" after Swift dropped that catch. I was like WTF? We need to remember that when it comes down to it, the players just need to make plays sometimes. But when the score is 42-6, 45-14, 36-14 the last three games. There is more wrong here than the players executing. It is preparation. (Or the lack there of)

I know you can't compare college to High School but my High School team were State runners up. We practiced balls to the wall full contact Monday through Wednesday and then had a walk through practice full speed with no pads, no contact on Thursday. If we werent practiceing in full pads I know games would have kicked my ass physically.

I guess my point is that Callahan is a terrible coach for many reasons and I like the idea of burying him in the sandhills on that guys ranch but the players are still not making critical plays at times.

Nate Swift said:

And did the coaches teacher him to drop a punt return and how to turn it over to A&M.....did the coaches teach him how to throw one hand up at a sure touchdown pass from Sam Keller in the second half?

The main problem with this team is that at the least little sign of adversity, they fold. This hasn't been the case all season, but definitely the last three games.

everybody thought that Purifys suspension was weak and he probably should have been done for the season, and bringing in Kellar for 1 season made me realize how desperate Callahan was, you pay a price for messing with Karma, both kids had character issues, if your recruiting as good as you say you are these moves wouldn't be needed, and both are transfers. I would hate to see this team with average ranked recruiting classes.

Nate Swift said:

The main problem with this team is that at the least little sign of adversity, they fold. This hasn't been the case all season, but definitely the last three games.

I think that comes from lack of vocal leadership within the team. You think guys like Wistrom or Peter would let their teams "fold?" Hell NO! They'd be knockin' heads in the huddle. :box

I really haven't seen or heard of anybody, on this team, gettin' in a teammate's ear for messing up.

Nate Swift said:

I hate to defend Callahan but this is a good point. That dropped punt was a major turning point in the game. There was fan sitting next to me at the game that yelled "Callahan you suck" after Swift dropped that catch. I was like WTF? We need to remember that when it comes down to it, the players just need to make plays sometimes. But when the score is 42-6, 45-14, 36-14 the last three games. There is more wrong here than the players executing. It is preparation. (Or the lack there of)

I know you can't compare college to High School but my High School team were State runners up. We practiced balls to the wall full contact Monday through Wednesday and then had a walk through practice full speed with no pads, no contact on Thursday. If we werent practiceing in full pads I know games would have kicked my ass physically.

I guess my point is that Callahan is a terrible coach for many reasons and I like the idea of burying him in the sandhills on that guys ranch but the players are still not making critical plays at times.

Players always make mistakes. It is bound to happen. However, they didn't get 21 points off of a dropped punt. Teams that we play make mistakes, but there isn't a good enough plan to capitalize off of those mistakes. Swift has been awesome this season and has caught just about everything thrown to him. He's been a great clutch player who makes the plays he needs to. A mistake or two shouldn't cost the game and no team ever got more than 8 points off of a single turn over.

There were more things that went wrong yesterday than can be attributed to Swift.

Things go wrong for lots of teams who don't end up getting destroyed by teams that only scored 7 against TT. Mental mistakes are also the coaches' responsibility...that whole teaching & identifying weaknesses thing. :)

We as fans like to separate the coaching staff from the players. As if they are two separate entities. The players don't see it like that, IMO. The team is the team. Period.

In the end, no matter who the coaches are the players have to get it done on the field. That includes making accurate (enough anyway) throws and catching the ball.

.....did the coaches teach him how to throw one hand up at a sure touchdown pass from Sam Keller in the second qtr?

I am so glad to see someone else bring this play up...I can't remember being so pissed off at the lack of effort by an individual during a game, but Swift broke this camels back with his little granny attempt throwing an arm in the air to catch that pass. If he lays out with both hands, that is a catch that any receiver can make.

In my book, Swift deserves to sit his ass on the bench after that performance.

Can someone please explain to me why the BEST athlete on our offense is not in on every freaking play????

Mo Purify should never leave that damn field when our offense is on the field. Even if we don't throw to him every play, he commands the attention of the defense and opens up options for our playcalling.

Nate Swift said:

Players always make mistakes. It is bound to happen. However, they didn't get 21 points off of a dropped punt. Teams that we play make mistakes, but there isn't a good enough plan to capitalize off of those mistakes. Swift has been awesome this season and has caught just about everything thrown to him. He's been a great clutch player who makes the plays he needs to. A mistake or two shouldn't cost the game and no team ever got more than 8 points off of a single turn over.

Disagree, he's been average at best. Dropped way to many passes and making too many mental errors. I also figured the coaches should have caught those two interceptions that Mckeon and Bowman dropped yesterday. Both of them had two hands on it. One of them stops three points the other could have been taken to the house for 7.