Spurrier

gamecocks

To bad we couldn't have gotten him instead of callahan. He is going to make south carolina a team to reckon with.

Yeah, he might have done that - but can you imagine the growing pains NU would have gone through? If you think changing from the option to the West Coast was bad, just think what it would have been like had Spurrier installed his Fun-n-Gun offense.

While he may have learned a lesson in the NFL, when you look at what he did there it was obvious that he really didn't give any credence to the running game. He had a great back in Davis, and underutilized him. He relied on a passing attack fueled by quarterbacks that were cast-offs by other teams. Talk about a coach that tries to make the players fit the system rather than the system fit the players...

And when he was with Florida, he was only as good as his defensive coordinators. With Stoops, the team was outstanding. Without Stoops, the defense could be good, but was never great, so that's a crapshoot right there.

Bad as you may think Callahan is, Spurrier would have been worse in the short-term. I'll grant that in the long-term, it would probably be better - or at least, if you judge it on performance, you have to say that Spurrier is a proven college coach.

To bad we couldn't have gotten him instead of callahan. He is going to make south carolina a team to reckon with.

Yeah, he might have done that - but can you imagine the growing pains NU would have gone through? If you think changing from the option to the West Coast was bad, just think what it would have been like had Spurrier installed his Fun-n-Gun offense.

While he may have learned a lesson in the NFL, when you look at what he did there it was obvious that he really didn't give any credence to the running game. He had a great back in Davis, and underutilized him. He relied on a passing attack fueled by quarterbacks that were cast-offs by other teams. Talk about a coach that tries to make the players fit the system rather than the system fit the players...

And when he was with Florida, he was only as good as his defensive coordinators. With Stoops, the team was outstanding. Without Stoops, the defense could be good, but was never great, so that's a crapshoot right there.

Bad as you may think Callahan is, Spurrier would have been worse in the short-term. I'll grant that in the long-term, it would probably be better - or at least, if you judge it on performance, you have to say that Spurrier is a proven college coach.

I gurantee you we wouldn't be fighting in our final game to make a bowl. We may have lost 2 games but not any more.

I gurantee you we wouldn't be fighting in our final game to make a bowl. We may have lost 2 games but not any more.

I don't know about that. Dailey would still be the QB, unless the old ballcoach choked him after the second game. :) Can you imagine Spurrier talking to Dailey after he threw a pick. We would still have a bunch of receivers that drop to many passes. I will give you the defense would be better though.

How? Spurrier's offense is actually pass oriented, rather than either balanced or run oriented. And he showed an amazing ability to ignore the run in Washington when he had an All-Pro running back. And given his propensity to yo-yo quarterbacks after a single mistake (and knowing that Dailey is the best we've got at this stage), the very facet of the offense on which he relies would have probably been even worse than what we have now.

I gurantee you we wouldn't be fighting in our final game to make a bowl.  We may have lost 2 games but not any more.

How? Spurrier's offense is actually pass oriented, rather than either balanced or run oriented. And he showed an amazing ability to ignore the run in Washington when he had an All-Pro running back. And given his propensity to yo-yo quarterbacks after a single mistake (and knowing that Dailey is the best we've got at this stage), the very facet of the offense on which he relies would have probably been even worse than what we have now.

I agree,, good points. If you think we are struggling with the WCO the fun and gun wouldve been a complete mess. I find it interesting that the people begging for the return of "real NU football" with a run up the gut every other play are the same ones saying Spurrier wouldve been a good fit at NU??!! :wacko::waste:flush Make up your mind!