Tony Samuels fired at New Mexico State

DJR313

Samuels was fired today by the Aggies. Wonder if he would be interested in coming back to Nebraska as a DC if Cosgrove leaves. I can't really figure out why he was fired, New Mexico State has never been a powerhouse and he has done a decent job, actually the best any head coach has done there.

Samuels was fired today by the Aggies. Wonder if he would be interested in coming back to Nebraska as a DC if Cosgrove leaves. I can't really figure out why he was fired, New Mexico State has never been a powerhouse and he has done a decent job, actually the best any head coach has done there.

He was there for eight years and just couldn't get the program to turn the corner. I think he had 2 winning seasons in eight. Always hung around 5-5 or 5-6..as he did this year.

Samuels was fired today by the Aggies.  Wonder if he would be interested in coming back to Nebraska as a DC if Cosgrove leaves.  I can't really figure out why he was fired, New Mexico State has never been a powerhouse and he has done a decent job, actually the best any head coach has done there.

He was there for eight years and just couldn't get the program to turn the corner. I think he had 2 winning seasons in eight. Always hung around 5-5 or 5-6..as he did this year.

NMSU posted back to back winning seasons in 2001 and 2002, the first time since '77 & '78. They had won 11 league games over the past 3 years, the first time that had been done since 36-38. Samuels had a 17-16 home record, prior to his arrival, NMSU had 15 wins at home in 12 seasons. Attendance was up since he got there, graduation rates is 13th in the nation at 76%. NMSU has never been a powerhouse by any means, but Samuels has done a good job there. Their records have been 5-5, 6-5, 5-6, but the Sun Belt league champion(North Texas) hasn't had a record much better than that. NMSU is moving to the WAC next year and the AD must not think Samuels is capable of recruiting better athletes and stepping the programs game up.