Recruiting bye week

Looks like the coaches are going to stay around the state and get in-state talent.

LJS

Nebraska coaches will take a different approach to recruiting during the bye week that follows Saturday’s game against Kansas State.

In years past, seven assistant coaches would go all over the country during an off week.

Not now. The coaches will spend that time recruiting only within Nebraska.

“They’ll go out in-state Monday and Tuesday and they’ll blanket the state,” Husker coach Bill Callahan said Thursday. “I think we’ll hit somewhere between 68 and 69 schools.” (I'd say they hit 68.34 schools)

The Huskers will bring in no recruits for official visits to Saturday’s game.

With the future of the coaching staff uncertain, the move to not go too far for recruits right now isn’t shocking.

As Callahan has noted, it’s difficult for coaches to make promises to players when the staff has been given no promises as to its future.

What will coaches’ messages be to the in-state players?

“We’re just looking for players. We’re looking for anybody that thinks they can contribute to the program,” Callahan said. “Any and all walk-ons are certainly welcome, so I think that’s the message that’s out there.” Change in style huh.

To me it sound like they have given up and don't want to travel too far or put out too much effort, while still look like they are making an effort. I guess the majority of NE kids will stay committed to NU no matter who the coach is.

***SNIP***

To me it sound like they have given up and don't want to travel too far or put out too much effort, while still look like they are making an effort. I guess the majority of NE kids will stay committed to NU no matter who the coach is.

Much as we like to bash on this staff, this is actually a smart move by them when you think about it. In all honesty, the chances of landing any undecided recruits is virtually impossible under the circumstances. Unless Callahan can assure them the staff will stay, no out-of-state recruit has a real reason to consider the Huskers. But in-state? Well, that's a different story. The in-state kids want to come to Nebraska - they aren't influenced so much by the coaches as they are by the program.

What on earth would they say? Come to Nebraska. I have no idea who will be coach or what style of O and D they will be playing but it's a great place. The steaks and sweet corn are the best.

The $50 million dollar upgrades in facilities. Winning tradition. History of putting players in the league. Fan support. A legend as AD. Playing infront of sellouts virtually every game. There are some pros.

What on earth would they say? Come to Nebraska. I have no idea who will be coach or what style of O and D they will be playing but it's a great place. The steaks and sweet corn are the best.

The $50 million dollar upgrades in facilities. Winning tradition. History of putting players in the league. Fan support. A legend as AD. Playing infront of sellouts virtually every game. There are some pros.

My point is that there may be something of an issue with the lame duck messenger and uncertainty. Also, facilities, legends and history don't develop players. Staffing is crucial and right now that aspect is a leap of faith. 18 year old kids from out of state didn't grow up on Husker football and have little sense of what Osborne did 10 years and more ago or what Devaney did back over 40 years ago. Recent history is not looking good.