fire steve website

c-husker

Why do I keep hear Pete Carroll being brought up in these conversations??

He was a crap ass coach in the NFL, who has a better handle on the collegiate level.

Unpopular hire by AD

Struggles as NFL Head Coach

Goes after Blue Chip Recruits

Struggled first year in College

One of College footballs Storied traditions

Pro Style WCO

I don't know why his name is always brought up.

I'm sorry, but Norm Chow's offense is not the WCO and is infinitely better than the monstrosity we are running in Lincoln. Carroll is not responsible for USC offensive success. He did bring in amazing talent, but he has the coaches to run a great offense...we do not.

He was a crap ass coach in the NFL, who has a better handle on the collegiate level.

Unpopular hire by AD

Pro Style WCO

I'm sorry, but Norm Chow's offense is not the WCO and is infinitely better than the monstrosity we are running in Lincoln. Carroll is not responsible for USC offensive success. He did bring in amazing talent, but he has the coaches to run a great offense...we do not.

If their offense isn't a version of the WCo then what is it? Not all versions are the same. That would be like saying every option attack was the same.

You know why theeir offense is better. They have better players. Carson Palmer, Matt Leinart ring a bell. Mike Williams, Reggie Bush. Do you want me to continue?

Unpopular hire by AD

Pro Style WCO

If their offense isn't a version of the WCo then what is it? Not all versions are the same. That would be like saying every option attack was the same.

You know why theeir offense is better. They have better players. Carson Palmer, Matt Leinart ring a bell. Mike Williams, Reggie Bush. Do you want me to continue?

I say again, it's all in the coaching. Carroll is not calling the plays and he didn't bring in a ridiculously complicated offense like Callahan. The comparisons between Carroll and Callahan would be accurate if Callahn was coming in to be the big recruiter and motivator, but letting someone else handle the offense. Chow is the main reason USC's offense is so good. Here's a snippet from an article in the USC paper right after Chow was hired by Carroll:

The biggest change of all and the reason for Palmer's renewed confidence is the fact that he is working under renowned offensive coordinator Norm Chow, who was brought in during the off season to head the offense and help Palmer realize his potential.

"I love the guy," Palmer said about Chow. "He's amazing. I can never come up with something bad to say about him. He's such an amazing person.

"Outside of football, you just respect the guy more than anything as a person, as a father and as a friend. I've learned so much from him aside from football in only five months since he's been here."

While Palmer doesn't like to compare former head coach Paul Hackett, who tried to implement the intricate West Coast offense at USC, to Chow, it is clear that he doesn't miss Hackett's infamous telephone-book sized play book.

"You really can't compare the two offenses," Palmers said. "Last year's offense was so much more complex. Coach Hackett's offense was really designed for the NFL and it's really tough to run.

"This offense is much better suited for the college game, it's much easier for a college quarterback to learn."

Chow's philosophy when it comes to offense is to keep things as simple as possible.

"When Coach Chow came in, he installed the offense in two weeks," Palmer said. "The simplicity of the this offense is what makes it so effective."

That's a far cry from Hackett's offense, where only he knew the entire playbook.

"I haven't seen the whole thing yet," Palmer said of Hackett's playbook prior to last season. "I think it's as big as the Bible. From week to week it changes.

Chow, who has coached six of the NCAA's top 12 passing efficiency leaders, hopes to change all of that.

"Hopefully [Palmer] will respond to this offense," Chow said. "When we talk about simple we simply mean that it's just 1-2-3. Maybe he's used to something a little more complex but I think he'll benefit from this."

When someone asks Palmer to describe Chow's offense, a smile almost always comes over his face as he pinpoints the differences between this playbook and the one he spent three seasons trying to master.

"This system is completely different from anything we're used to running here," Palmer said. "It's a lot different than the seven-step drops we were used to. It's a lot of three-step drops, real quick routes, the receivers are getting the ball within five yards and hopefully we'll be passing the ball a lot more."

In addition to grasping the new offense, Palmer is more comfortable this season because Chow is more concerned with the entire offense than analyzing the quarterback's every move as Hackett was.

"Coach Chow doesn't harp on the fundamentals of the quarterback position," Palmer said. "He worries about the offense as a unit. He is more like a father figure and a player's coach than Coach Hackett."

Chow, who coached Steve Young, Jim McMahon and Ty Detmer during his 27-year stint at BYU, molded freshman quarterback Philip Rivers at North Carolina State into the most successful freshman passer in ACC history last season. USC followers are hoping Chow can work that same magic with Palmer.

Callahan's offense sounds a lot like what they were running before Chow got there.