Zook Hired As Illinois Coach

Illinois Gets New Look in Zook

CHAMPAIGN, Ill. (Sports Network) - The University of Illinois announced Tuesday that fired Florida coach Ron Zook will take over as the 22nd head football coach of the Fighting Illini.

Zook, who interviewed for the Illinois vacancy last week, was fired by Florida on October 25 after a loss to Mississippi State, but was allowed to stay on through the remainder of the season.

"I appreciate the opportunity to be here," Zook said at an afternoon press conference. "It's amazing. I knew it was going to be a great fit."

The Gators (7-4) finished out the year strong with a 3-1 record, the only defeat coming against Georgia, a top-10 team. Zook, 50, will not coach the Gators in the Peach Bowl versus Miami-Florida on December 31.

Zook, who was also thought to be a candidate for the opening at Ole Miss, replaces Ron Turner at Illinois. Turner was dismissed on November 22 after a third straight disappointing season in which the Illini finished 3-8.

Turner, younger brother of Oakland Raiders (news) head coach Norv Turner, compiled a 35-57 record in eight years at Illinois with just two winning seasons.

Zook, hired to replace the immensely popular Steve Spurrier in 2002, was 23-14 with the Gators. But the program never really lived up to fans' expectations.

However, Zook's last win with Florida came at Florida State, a feat the Gators never accomplished under Spurrier.

"You have my word we (Illini) will never be out-worked," Zook added. "We're going to do this thing the right way. I'm also excited to meet the team."

Florida was Zook's first head coaching job after he had spent 24 years as an assistant on both the collegiate and pro levels.