Why TO was against Big 12 Championship

HANC

This is one of the reasons TO was in the minority when he voeted against (or voiced) the Big 12 title game.... He felt that it would eventually cost conference teams a shot at the NC.....without doing a lot of homework....I can already think of a couple of times this has happened..

KSU got beat by A-M and got knocked out

CU beat OU and knocked them out

If OU beats MU, it will knock them out

* how high was NU when Texas upset them in the first title game....did we have a shot....hell, I was at the dumb game,but can't remember if we were ranked 1-2...

There might be more times this has happened.... I know the title game is great $$$$$, but think of the chances for NC's within the conference we have lost because of the game.

I am not saying that I don't want to have this game, but it sucks that MU could (probably) get knocked out and a f'n Big 10 team can "back into" the NC because they don't have to play that extra-game.....especially when that "extra-game" is usually against a very talented team.

TO's vision was basically correct.....the title game has cost the conference title shots and larger bowl games.

I disagree. Although it does pain me to root for either MU or OU and it will suck if MU doesn't get into the NC because I always want the Big XII to be on top.....I like the Big XII game. If MU loses to OU, then obviously MU is not a NC team? Right? The NC game should be the best of the best...and if a team loses a game right before bowl season, maybe they're not the team we want playing against another national best. Especially if they lose to a team who isn't anywhere near the NC game.

For example, Nebraska is undefeated. We've beaten everyone and lucked out and haven't had to play Oklahoma...who has lost two games already that season. If Nebraska is such a dominant team...a team that is NC worthy, we should beat OU, right? But if we go and lose in the Big XII...we should reflect back and agree with critics in saying "well, Nebraska is an awesome team, but they're not #1/#2 worthy."

A team should ALWAYS play like they are playing for the NC. No matter what game it is. We should play just as tough against Baylor as we would against USC for the NC.

I personally like the Big XII Championship game. I like seeing the best of the North play the best of the South. And maybe this year the North might actually win! Now if everyone doesn't like the Big XII game...maybe just don't count it towards the final BCS ranking. Just like how we don't allow non-conference wins/losses really count towards who plays in the conference game, don't count the conference game towards who play in the non-conference NC game.

The previous years that it has cost the confernece the possible title shot, it was truly unfortunate.... this year, it will be too bad for our conference if MU doesn't win and get in...... I don't undestand how a 1 loss Ohio State, who plays in the big 10 (which actually sucks top to bottom worse than the big 12)..... gets in over a team like KU...... I know that KU's season schedule was horrible, but their only loss was to the nation's current #1 on a neutral field, and if they hit 2 fg or don't turn it over inside the 20 and 2, they have a chance to win..... (I know it's all part of the game)....but.... a 1 lost KU team that losses to the #1 team by 6 points on a nuetral field, gets shut out by Ohio State who loses to Illinois at home..... Illinois played well, but they are no MU.....

I don't disagree with your points, I just think that unless every BCS conference plays a CCG, then it really isn't fair..... teams get to sit at home and not play a top 10 team, and maybe back into the game..... MU had to beat #1-2 KU, now turn around and play a top 15 team OU..... where WV gets to play a low rank Pittsbugh (27 point favorite) and Ohio State sits and eat popcorn.....

I like the title game, but someone needs to put pressure on the Big 10 (11) to have a championship game.

CU beat Texas, letting us play in 2001.

KSU beat OU.

We were rated 2 or 3 when we lost to UT and they were like 7-4. Florida, which was behind us, won the NC that year against FSU I think.

The Big 12 got what they wanted on most of these years, cash, and they were able to screw us over.

I believe that in each of the years that a lower rated team beat a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd rated (nationally) team in the the Big 12 Championship, the Big 12 got 2 BCS teams instead of one, making the conference a ton of bowl revenue, but they lost out on possible merchandising revenue that would have been earned from a national championship.

The previous years that it has cost the confernece the possible title shot, it was truly unfortunate.... this year, it will be too bad for our conference if MU doesn't win and get in...... I don't undestand how a 1 loss Ohio State, who plays in the big 10 (which actually sucks top to bottom worse than the big 12)..... gets in over a team like KU...... I know that KU's season schedule was horrible, but their only loss was to the nation's current #1 on a neutral field, and if they hit 2 fg or don't turn it over inside the 20 and 2, they have a chance to win..... (I know it's all part of the game)....but.... a 1 lost KU team that losses to the #1 team by 6 points on a nuetral field, gets shut out by Ohio State who loses to Illinois at home..... Illinois played well, but they are no MU.....

I don't disagree with your points, I just think that unless every BCS conference plays a CCG, then it really isn't fair..... teams get to sit at home and not play a top 10 team, and maybe back into the game..... MU had to beat #1-2 KU, now turn around and play a top 15 team OU..... where WV gets to play a low rank Pittsbugh (27 point favorite) and Ohio State sits and eat popcorn.....

I like the title game, but someone needs to put pressure on the Big 10 (11) to have a championship game.

Why should they have a title game? It seems to me that the Big 10, Pac 10 and Big East made the right move by not having one. Guess what if Ohio State gets into the NCG then Illinois gets to go to the Rose Bowl. 2 Big 10 teams in the top 4 bowls. Sounds pretty good to me. When has anything in life been fair? Never has and never will. Missouri could get to the NCG if they beat Oklahoma and West Virginia by beating Pittsburgh. If two teams from the BCS conferences didn't lose people wouldn't be crying about it. Also the Big 10 starts their season early so last week would've been the Big 10 CCG. The Big 10 has too much power to be made to do anything they don't want to do. Why don't the Big 12, SEC, and ACC not have a CCG and quit crying already.

You guys have to remember one thing, the Pac 10 and the Big East teams all have schedules where they play every member in their conference so a Conference Championship game is irrelevant for them. The Big 10 is the only conference that does not play a Championship game or where its football teams do not play everyone in their conference. This will not change in the immediate future unless they add that 12th team. I am not sure why you guys would complain about the Big 12 game being a hindrance on the National Championship game when the only conference so far to have had anyone not win their conference and still play for the BCS title is the Big 12, twice......

CU beat Texas, letting us play in 2001.

KSU beat OU.

We were rated 2 or 3 when we lost to UT and they were like 7-4. Florida, which was behind us, won the NC that year against FSU I think.

The Big 12 got what they wanted on most of these years, cash, and they were able to screw us over.

I believe that in each of the years that a lower rated team beat a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd rated (nationally) team in the the Big 12 Championship, the Big 12 got 2 BCS teams instead of one, making the conference a ton of bowl revenue, but they lost out on possible merchandising revenue that would have been earned from a national championship.

Florida won the NC in 96. It was Virginia Tech that lost to FSU. To bad for Nebraska that there was two teams that were undefeated that year otherwise Nebraska would have been in the game.

What was funny is that in 1993 Notre Dame and Florida State game was hyped so much that there was talk about matching them against eachother again in the National Championship game. Lucky for Nebraska that Boston College beat them. No one even mentions that West Virginia was 10-0 at the end of the regular season. Could you imagine that two undefeated teams West Virginia and Nebraska might have been left out, and one loss team like Florida State would have played an Notre Dame team they already lost to, for the National Championship?

By the way this has nothing to do with the question :)