Wojciechowski - NU not an elite job

np_husker

Or, another way of looking at it is this --- four years ago the applicant pool was small, many turned it down for lack of interest and we hired an unemployed coach. So, the NU position 4 years ago was not an elite position. The program is worse off now. So..... ESPN is right.

Why did they turn the job down? Can you further explain that?

I cannot tell you why Nutt, Tedford, the offensive coordinator for the KC Chiefs, Urban Meyer and others all turned down interviews or bowed out after interviews. I can however state that they bowed out and that this does indicate that the position then was not an elite position. Elite positions excellent people fight to get and the potential employer gets their first choice. So, 4 years ago the NU position was not elite --- Cally, surprise, surprise, was a fall back (he was along the lines of the 6th person or so contacted). The NU position is less elite, by a wide margin, now.

Or, another way of looking at it is this --- four years ago the applicant pool was small, many turned it down for lack of interest and we hired an unemployed coach. So, the NU position 4 years ago was not an elite position. The program is worse off now. So..... ESPN is right.

I cannot tell you why Nutt, Tedford, the offensive coordinator for the KC Chiefs, Urban Meyer and others all turned down interviews or bowed out after interviews. I can however state that they bowed out and that this does indicate that the position then was not an elite position. Elite positions excellent people fight to get and the potential employer gets their first choice. So, 4 years ago the NU position was not elite --- Cally, surprise, surprise, was a fall back (he was along the lines of the 6th person or so contacted). The NU position is less elite, by a wide margin, now.

They turned down the job because Pederson is a numb nuts who, for all intents and purposes, didn't "call ahead" first with a search firm. He was to full of himself that he thought he could do it alone.

Myth:

ESPN is an elite news source

It used to be. But now with their sound-bite-driven mentality and their penchant for hiring people who look or sound good rather than who are actually knowledgeable about their sport, they have fallen far from what they once were. ESPN today is simply a shell of its former self, propped up by their past, not their future.

As a whole, the institution that is Nebraska Football is far more solid than that of ESPN. Despite several dozen similar programs across the country, optimism still rides high regarding this football program. Were there to be even ten true challengers to the sports news conglomerate that is ESPN, they’d tumble like a house of cards. Their product is crap, they’re out of touch with the majority of sports fans, and they are nigh on unwatchable most nights. Their “experts” aren’t, their “news” isn’t and their touch is out.

So please don’t quote ESPN articles to me. I have far more respect for what any of us twits on Husker Board have to say than for whatever drivel comes out of Bristol these days.

:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

Okay, this is going to be long...sorry.

:boxosoap:rantdedhoarse:bang

Back in the day, when ESPN showed up, I thought cool, an all sports network. Wow, you talk about setting your expectations too high. ESPN is nothing but a self-promoting, money hungry, puppet of the Disney Corporation. There used to be one person on ESPN with a clue, but I think Trev Albert got sick of the corporate games and crap that is ESPN. Also, I think he got sick of having to break out the crayons and coloring books to attempt to explain football to that tard Mark May.

This is a little story (I’ve told here before) about when I realized that ESPN was nothing but a cross promoting whore for the little rat at Disney.

The year was 1997. The Nebraska Cornhuskers were number one in the nation. Peyton Manning was, by far, the best player in college football (at least in a high profile position). Of course there were a few problems. If Nebraska won out and played in a bowl game, it was going to be the Orange Bowl. That was a problem for the little money whore that is ESPN. You see, they were not going to carry the Orange Bowl. They had the Rose Bowl that year. In fact, If Tennessee kept wining; they too would go to the Orange Bowl because of the Bowl Alliance (that the Rose Bowl refused to join). So there we have it, for that pimp Disney to make any real money, they had to somehow make the Rose Bowl relevant. And since it’s little whore ESPN was more than willing to help out, they went to work to set up a situation whereby they would make more money for their pimp-daddy, good old Mickey Rat.

But their hands were tied right? They just report sports, right? Well, not really. With an important game coming up between Michigan and Notre Dame (I think) the question around ESPN was who should be number one? Should Michigan be number one if they beat Notre Dame? And the like. That question led every Sports Center, it was the number one topic on every college football report, and in fact they pounded it into the ground. What, you dare ask, what about Nebraska? Aren’t they number one? If they win this weekend shouldn’t they stay number one? Hasn’t that been the tradition? (For more on that tradition, see below). Well, they all seemed to forget about Nebraska. Could it be because Nebraska was landlocked in the middle of “fly over” territory? Maybe. But more than likely it had more to do with the fact that Nebraska was not going to be on one of Mickey Rat’s networks on New Years Day. Oh, and by the way, remember that Peyton Manning guy, the other team that would not end up on ESPN/ABC on New Years Day? Well, he played his ass off all year. But when ESPN/ABC showed highlights of him, he was getting sacked, throwing an interception, or some other unflattering event. Then, they began to show highlights of another player. Charles Woodson from Michigan. They showed him intercepting passes, catching passes, running punts back for touchdowns, basically doing everything right. You could tell from the highlight reel he was amazing. And poor Peyton Manning, he came back for his senior year and was just doing awful (at least it seemed that way from the ESPN highlights. I myself was in awe of how many touchdowns a defensive player like Charles Woodson was scoring. I thought, “Wow, that guy is good. I wonder how many T.D.’s he has this year?” The funny thing is, if you check out the numbers, Charles Woodson only ran back one kick for a touchdown. ESPN just showed that clip every time they talked about him (I just didn’t realize it was the same clip all the time). And what about poor Peyton Manning and his “disappointing” senior season? Well, a look at his stats shows that he had a Heisman-like year statistically. But wait…why didn’t we know that? Wasn’t ESPN, the “sports authority” responsible for telling us that? Well, yes, until you realize that they were going to have the Rose Bowl on ABC that year and wanted to hype the Heisman winner on their network. Never mind that their endless campaign for Charles Woodson most likely cost the clear-cut winner (Peyton Manning) his Heisman Trophy. After all, when your out pimpin’ your ho’s all that matters is money, right? Who cares if your ho’s have integrity. Ho’s are not supposed to have integrity. They are just supposed to make money, and it is all about the ratings. Oh, and I said earlier that when you are number one and you win, you are not supposed to have your ranking taken from you. Do you know how I know that? Well, it’s because after Nebraska soundly beat a legitimately good Tennessee team in the Orange Bowl and Michigan barely beat a mediocre Michigan team in the Rose Bowl, the ESPN contingent were livid that you never take away the number one ranking from a team that wins. In fact, before the polls even came out, as the clock ticked to double zero in the Rose Bowl (with the Nebraska/Tennessee still to be played), Bob Greece announced that Michigan had won the National Championship. (I mean, why wait for the polls to come out. ESPN had already orchestrated the theft of the National title from Nebraska way back in week 5 or 6 hadn’t they? Well, they didn’t count on the fact that the coaches had a conscience and decided to do what was right and give Nebraska the National Title they deserved. Those ESPN guys made nasty comments about Nebraska and how they should have never won the title when Michigan was number one and had won their bowl game. Funny though, they didn’t see any problem with Michigan jumping Nebraska in the polls (they actually went from #4 to #1) earlier in the season even though Nebraska won it’s game.

So you see, we are dealing with ratings minded media whores that have absolutely no integrity and should never, ever be taken seriously. They should be considered just what they are, cross promoting ratings prostitutes.

true we are no longer elite, but nothing to stop us from regaining that status again either. the right coaches and AD and hard work lie ahead.

it can be done.

Hunter --- spot on. That is the challenge for the new coaching staff. There is no reason why we cannot land a great group of coaches and have this thing turn around. It may be from people that the top 20 right now would not take much of a look at because they are unproven. That is, NU will have to take risks that the major programs would not. But many a great coach has come from out of nowhere. We might just get a great one. It is not unlike recruiting --- we cannot attract a 5 star coach or maybe even a 4 star --- but many under the radar 3 star coaches turn out to be awesome. Hopefully we'll score 8 or 10 of those (the entire new staff).

Coaches were turned off by a program that fired a coach who was 9-3...love to have had that record this year.

Scott

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/sto...mp;sportCat=ncf

Myths:

Nebraska is an elite coaching job

It used to be. But now-former athletic director Steve Pederson made a critical mistake and imposed his will on a program that needed a facial, not reconstructive cosmetic surgery.

Pederson hired Bill Callahan, who fit like Tabasco sauce on chocolate pudding. Callahan might be a good coach, but he wasn't the right coach for Nebraska.

Now Pederson and Callahan are gone, and so is Nebraska's one longtime advantage: an identity.

Lincoln was once I-Back U. It was Walk-On Heaven. It was a national recruiting pipeline, stretching as far as Jersey, Florida and California.

Now it's a seven-tractor pileup.

Tradition is nice, but elite high school recruits from outside of Nebraska's state lines (and there aren't many of them on an annual basis) don't remember much, if anything, about Mike Rozier. They want to win. They want to be on TV. They want to play for someone who can get them a job in the NFL.

If interim AD Tom Osborne is going to seal the gaping holes in this program, he had better find someone who understands and appreciates Nebraska's past, but more important, someone who understands the realities of its future. Nebraska needs its football identity back.

There are other overrated coaching jobs, beginning with UCLA (everything done on the relative cheap), Arkansas (limited in-state recruiting base, psycho fan expectations), Michigan State (program sounds good on paper, until you realize Michigan and Ohio State are in your conference).

But Nebraska was never in the same paragraph with those type of programs ... until now.

Nebraska football can be fixed. Probably. Not too much is at stake. Only the difference between relevancy and has-been status.

Please....ESPN as a "Sports" network is an absolute joke!! Idiots like that yahoo Stuart Scott who says "booya" all the time and Scott Van Pelt whos from the Golf Channel?? Not withstanding the dolts ESPN/ABC have covering college football Brent "pass me another shot pard" Musberger and Lou "sufferin succatash" Holtz and that idiot of all idiots Lee Corso.

A network that has spelling bees and bowling and 10 hours of poker (who said poker was a sport...oooohhh we went all in man he must be winded) can they really even call themselves a "Sports" network??

Damn, I'd rather watch Travis Justice than any of those assclowns on ESPN. Funniest thing is if we're not relevant anymore why is it being scrolled on CNN at 8 am Sat morning Callahan was fired? Every other sports article it seems talks about the firing/new coach. Not revelant......please!!!!!

email the author of the article: genewojciechowski@espn3.com and tell him what you think. My guess is with a last name like that he never played sports. Heck, no one could spell it or put it on a jersey!!

Scott

Scott

Back in the day, when ESPN showed up, I thought cool, an all sports network. Wow, you talk about setting your expectations too high. ESPN is nothing but a self-promoting, money hungry, puppet of the Disney Corporation. There used to be one person on ESPN with a clue, but I think Trev Albert got sick of the corporate games and crap that is ESPN. Also, I think he got sick of having to break out the crayons and coloring books to attempt to explain football to that tard Mark May.

This is a little story (I’ve told here before) about when I realized that ESPN was nothing but a cross promoting whore for the little rat at Disney.

The year was 1997. The Nebraska Cornhuskers were number one in the nation. Peyton Manning was, by far, the best player in college football (at least in a high profile position). Of course there were a few problems. If Nebraska won out and played in a bowl game, it was going to be the Orange Bowl. That was a problem for the little money whore that is ESPN. You see, they were not going to carry the Orange Bowl. They had the Rose Bowl that year. In fact, If Tennessee kept wining; they too would go to the Orange Bowl because of the Bowl Alliance (that the Rose Bowl refused to join). So there we have it, for that pimp Disney to make any real money, they had to somehow make the Rose Bowl relevant. And since it’s little whore ESPN was more than willing to help out, they went to work to set up a situation whereby they would make more money for their pimp-daddy, good old Mickey Rat.

But their hands were tied right? They just report sports, right? Well, not really. With an important game coming up between Michigan and Notre Dame (I think) the question around ESPN was who should be number one? Should Michigan be number one if they beat Notre Dame? And the like. That question led every Sports Center, it was the number one topic on every college football report, and in fact they pounded it into the ground. What, you dare ask, what about Nebraska? Aren’t they number one? If they win this weekend shouldn’t they stay number one? Hasn’t that been the tradition? (For more on that tradition, see below). Well, they all seemed to forget about Nebraska. Could it be because Nebraska was landlocked in the middle of “fly over” territory? Maybe. But more than likely it had more to do with the fact that Nebraska was not going to be on one of Mickey Rat’s networks on New Years Day. Oh, and by the way, remember that Peyton Manning guy, the other team that would not end up on ESPN/ABC on New Years Day? Well, he played his ass off all year. But when ESPN/ABC showed highlights of him, he was getting sacked, throwing an interception, or some other unflattering event. Then, they began to show highlights of another player. Charles Woodson from Michigan. They showed him intercepting passes, catching passes, running punts back for touchdowns, basically doing everything right. You could tell from the highlight reel he was amazing. And poor Peyton Manning, he came back for his senior year and was just doing awful (at least it seemed that way from the ESPN highlights. I myself was in awe of how many touchdowns a defensive player like Charles Woodson was scoring. I thought, “Wow, that guy is good. I wonder how many T.D.’s he has this year?” The funny thing is, if you check out the numbers, Charles Woodson only ran back one kick for a touchdown. ESPN just showed that clip every time they talked about him (I just didn’t realize it was the same clip all the time). And what about poor Peyton Manning and his “disappointing” senior season? Well, a look at his stats shows that he had a Heisman-like year statistically. But wait…why didn’t we know that? Wasn’t ESPN, the “sports authority” responsible for telling us that? Well, yes, until you realize that they were going to have the Rose Bowl on ABC that year and wanted to hype the Heisman winner on their network. Never mind that their endless campaign for Charles Woodson most likely cost the clear-cut winner (Peyton Manning) his Heisman Trophy. After all, when your out pimpin’ your ho’s all that matters is money, right? Who cares if your ho’s have integrity. Ho’s are not supposed to have integrity. They are just supposed to make money, and it is all about the ratings. Oh, and I said earlier that when you are number one and you win, you are not supposed to have your ranking taken from you. Do you know how I know that? Well, it’s because after Nebraska soundly beat a legitimately good Tennessee team in the Orange Bowl and Michigan barely beat a mediocre Michigan team in the Rose Bowl, the ESPN contingent were livid that you never take away the number one ranking from a team that wins. In fact, before the polls even came out, as the clock ticked to double zero in the Rose Bowl (with the Nebraska/Tennessee still to be played), Bob Greece announced that Michigan had won the National Championship. (I mean, why wait for the polls to come out. ESPN had already orchestrated the theft of the National title from Nebraska way back in week 5 or 6 hadn’t they? Well, they didn’t count on the fact that the coaches had a conscience and decided to do what was right and give Nebraska the National Title they deserved. Those ESPN guys made nasty comments about Nebraska and how they should have never won the title when Michigan was number one and had won their bowl game. Funny though, they didn’t see any problem with Michigan jumping Nebraska in the polls (they actually went from #4 to #1) earlier in the season even though Nebraska won it’s game.

So you see, we are dealing with ratings minded media whores that have absolutely no integrity and should never, ever be taken seriously. They should be considered just what they are, cross promoting ratings prostitutes.

Preach on brother! Next time you're at Disneyland go punch Mickey Rat and pee on the Pirates of the Carribean ride haha

Most coaches would consider this an elite program. Pederson really, really wanted Al Saunders (KC's offensive coordinator at the time). And Saunders was interested. His kids attended Nebraska, and he was/is a Nebraska fan. Dick Vermeil was retiring as head coach of the Chiefs, So Saunders had no loyalty to whoever was replacing him.

Then Vermeil decided to come back for one more year, and being a loyal friend of Vermeil's, Saunders informed Pederson that he was not going to take the job. Remember, this was in January and Pederson had to find somebody fast since the signing day was coming. He started calling people out of desparation and was turned down by Nutt and Tedford. He interviewed Gill and Pelini but really didn't want them. He wanted a high-flying offense and was dazzled by NFL offensive genius.

Guess who got fired from the Raiders and was looking for a job? Mr. Excellent Job of Coaching in Every Way, Mr. It's Only One Game, Only One Season! The fourth or fifth choice for the job. Pederson had to have someone fast, and he screwed himself.

Things are different now. Osborne has the respect of all football, and things will be approached the right way. I am very optimistic.

With our facilities, tradition and national fan base, Nebraska is truly an elite program.

:restore

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/sto...mp;sportCat=ncf

Myths:

Nebraska is an elite coaching job

It used to be. But now-former athletic director Steve Pederson made a critical mistake and imposed his will on a program that needed a facial, not reconstructive cosmetic surgery.

Pederson hired Bill Callahan, who fit like Tabasco sauce on chocolate pudding. Callahan might be a good coach, but he wasn't the right coach for Nebraska.

Now Pederson and Callahan are gone, and so is Nebraska's one longtime advantage: an identity.

Lincoln was once I-Back U. It was Walk-On Heaven. It was a national recruiting pipeline, stretching as far as Jersey, Florida and California.

Now it's a seven-tractor pileup.

Tradition is nice, but elite high school recruits from outside of Nebraska's state lines (and there aren't many of them on an annual basis) don't remember much, if anything, about Mike Rozier. They want to win. They want to be on TV. They want to play for someone who can get them a job in the NFL.

If interim AD Tom Osborne is going to seal the gaping holes in this program, he had better find someone who understands and appreciates Nebraska's past, but more important, someone who understands the realities of its future. Nebraska needs its football identity back.

There are other overrated coaching jobs, beginning with UCLA (everything done on the relative cheap), Arkansas (limited in-state recruiting base, psycho fan expectations), Michigan State (program sounds good on paper, until you realize Michigan and Ohio State are in your conference).

But Nebraska was never in the same paragraph with those type of programs ... until now.

Nebraska football can be fixed. Probably. Not too much is at stake. Only the difference between relevancy and has-been status.

The truth hurts. Solich was leading the program away from its traditions. Callahan and Pederson buried it completely. Osborne has an unearthing job to do if we are to keep from becoming an artifact of football history.

Preach on brother! Next time you're at Disneyland go punch Mickey Rat and pee on the Pirates of the Carribean ride haha

While I agree with you, I'm afraid you wasted precious time with the obvious.