A Bama Fan's view on Nebraska

BamaFan

Bamafan,

Having moved from Nebraska to Alabama and marrying into a Bama crazed family, I know exactly what you are talking about. There are a lot of similarities. Of course there are high expectations, just like the Snake said. Anyway, great post!

BeachBuffs, Do you live in the Mobile area? I passed a vehicle that was "Buffed Out" the other day. Might have been you.

On a side note, does anyone else living elsewhere notice how many Husker fans are roaming around this country? My wife and I see people all over Mobile with Husker tags or stickers. Its amazing. I've made a scene many times when I've seen someone with Nebraska gear or vehicle stuff....I actually had an experience like the ESPN commercial when I was trying to get my license plate. I tried several different combos, but settled for UNL FAN. The size of our fanbase really is amazing.

Go Big Red and Roll Tide!

PS...I'll look for a link, but if you've ever seen or experienced the bama crowd singing about "We just beat the hell outta you...." its awesome. Rammer Jammer Yellow Hammer Give 'em Hell Alabama!!

I live in Baldwin County, so that sort of puts me in the Mobile area, I live in Gulf Shores, AL.

Yeah, man....I live in West Mobile. Just across the bay from ya! Got a buddy from Gothenburg, NE in Gulf Shores. Good Deal.

Beach Buffs and 1 HuskerNation: I live in the Mobile area too, Robertsdale to be exact, and I work in Gulf Shores. Nebraska is represented well here on the Gulf Coast. I've seen plenty of fans. Might be because of all the retirees and the military bases in the area. Seen a few Buff fans too.

I just figured if I was going to leave the mountains it would be for the ocean. By the way, just a minor point really, but I am not representing Nebraska, I represent Colorado on this site. Too my knowledge I have yet to die and go to hell :)

As an Alabama fan and alumnus, I have to say I know what you guys are going through. You've lost more games the last few years than Osborne lost in his whole career probably. It hurts, but it will get better because you still have a great program. So be encouraged if your down.

Nebraska IS an elite job no matter what some pin head east coast elitist sportswriter says. Those guys hate people in "fly over country". Especially those of us in the "southern end of that" aka Alabama. They think nobody matters outside of the east and west coast. But Nebraska is one of the top 5 coaching jobs now and in the past. Y'all have one of the best traditions, a great fan base, a classy, clean cut former coach, (Osborne), and much more. I was reading on ESPN about the coach search up there. Wow, this time last year we were tracking planes, chatting, etc trying to figure out who our next coach would be. Whoever it was, they were inheriting a mess from Mike Shula. A good guy, but stubborn and not too smart. However, he took over a probation laden program embarrassed by a guy who can't behave himself...Mike Price...and who took over for someone who doesn't practice what he preached ....Franchione... who took over for another Mike..Dubose who got us on probabtion in the first place. The Tide and Cornhuskers have a lot in common. Our traditions have trained us to expect excellence and we won't settle for 2nd, nor should we. Therefore the expectations are high and there are big shoes to fill. But that's just how it is. We know we'll never have anything like Bear Bryant again. The media likes to say all that about us, but it's not true. We love to recall the days of old but we embrace the future. Nobody can pull off a run like Bear, Devaney, and other coaches of old did nowadays. But we can demand to compete for conference championships every year and a shot at the BCS once in a while.

I hope you guys get a great coach. And get a proven head coach too, don't settle for and take a chance on an assistant. Nebraska is an awesome job, you can win a NC there easily. I have confidence in Coach Osborne, he's a smart guy, he'll get the right guy. We'd kill to have him as our coach even now. But Nebraska can get anyone they want in my opinion. So tell the arrogant, elitist sportswriters to kiss your RED Cornhusker A_S and get the Children of the Corn back on top. ...Just save a little room for your friends down in Bama when you get there. We hope to see you in the BCS one day with our little grumpy coach.

Best of luck Husker Nation.

Roll Tide

Bama, just do me one little favor. Crush the SEC. Restore the order there as well.

I remember watching the 1992 championship, Alabama vs Miami..it was a hella of a game but one thing that really got stuck in my head was the roll of toilet paper and box of tide that one of the fans was holding up! Just shows you how passionate the Alabama fans are about their football! We (the husker fans) share that passion! We will get back to winning again, TO will right the ship! Good luck Alabama!

Bamafan,

Having moved from Nebraska to Alabama and marrying into a Bama crazed family, I know exactly what you are talking about. There are a lot of similarities. Of course there are high expectations, just like the Snake said. Anyway, great post!

BeachBuffs, Do you live in the Mobile area? I passed a vehicle that was "Buffed Out" the other day. Might have been you.

On a side note, does anyone else living elsewhere notice how many Husker fans are roaming around this country? My wife and I see people all over Mobile with Husker tags or stickers. Its amazing. I've made a scene many times when I've seen someone with Nebraska gear or vehicle stuff....I actually had an experience like the ESPN commercial when I was trying to get my license plate. I tried several different combos, but settled for UNL FAN. The size of our fanbase really is amazing.

Go Big Red and Roll Tide!

PS...I'll look for a link, but if you've ever seen or experienced the bama crowd singing about "We just beat the hell outta you...." its awesome. Rammer Jammer Yellow Hammer Give 'em Hell Alabama!!

I see some Husker stuff in Oklahoma, but not much. I wear N hats mostly, my son has a Nebraska jacket that he wears to school without a problem (I used to get in big time fights when I was in elementary and middle school for wearing Nebraska gear -- four on one is fair as long as the Nebraska fan is the "one").

I'm still not inclined to put any Nebraska gear on my pickup, I'm afraid I'll walk out and have "OU" keyed into the side of it.

Nice comments, BamaFan.

I never go long without seeing another Nebraska fan here in Birmingham. I see other cars with decals or flags pretty regularly, and I see people wearing Husker gear about as often. My old neighborhood here had 2 or 3 other Nebraska transplants in it.

Those guys hate people in "fly over country". Especially those of us in the "southern end of that" aka Alabama. They think nobody matters outside of the east and west coast.

I have to reiterate this as well. This is something that I still can't get over. People are always talking about the SEC and east coast this and west coast that, but what they fail to realize is that nearly all the top 10 winningest programs come from the central states. The only coastal team that comes close would probably be USC and they are probably around 10th on that list. When I think of college football, programs like Michigan, Texas, Notre Dame, Nebraska, Alabama, Ohio St., Oklahoma, and Penn St. come to mind!

I'm not sure, but off the top of my head, I think USC is just behind Nebraska in all time wins.

Those guys hate people in "fly over country". Especially those of us in the "southern end of that" aka Alabama. They think nobody matters outside of the east and west coast.

I have to reiterate this as well. This is something that I still can't get over. People are always talking about the SEC and east coast this and west coast that, but what they fail to realize is that nearly all the top 10 winningest programs come from the central states. The only coastal team that comes close would probably be USC and they are probably around 10th on that list. When I think of college football, programs like Michigan, Texas, Notre Dame, Nebraska, Alabama, Ohio St., Oklahoma, and Penn St. come to mind!

I'm not sure, but off the top of my head, I think USC is just behind Nebraska in all time wins.

Michigan................842

Notre Dame..............802

Texas...................787

Nebraska................786

Alabama.................764

Ohio St.................764

Penn St.................760

Oklahoma................749

Tennessee...............746

Southern California.....720

This is as of the end of 2004, Callahan's first losing season.