Hello Husker Fans from LSU

KTeamLSU

I graduated from LSU a couple years ago, but have always followed the Huskers. I wanted to know how you guys feel about Callahan and this magical West Coast offense he was suppose to bring. Seems to me that Al Borges (Offensive Coordinator) for Auburn would have done a bit better for the transition from option attack to more passing by staging in passes to the RB and FB as well as some TE passes, to nurture your QB. I still think that the days of Frazier and Frost will come back to the Huskers, but only after Nebraska decides that it is a hard nosed football school and not a finesse p****y west coast passing school. What do you guys think ?

Also, I would have said I would like a home and away with Nebraska in a few years, but looking at our history against you guys, dont know if I want any part of that. I asked an older friend of mine about playing Nebraska and he said "Last time LSU play Nebraska, I told one of their fans, that I would admit they were good, if they wouldn't play us anymore".

Welcome to the board. :)

I think you will find that most of the regulars here are split as to if we "like" Callahan at this point.Some people are still frustrated with how Frank was let go and that spills over to anything done after that point. Others aren't quick to condemn the coach and the WCO just yet. We have yet to see if he can bring players in that he thinks will thrive in his system and actually have them thrive with the help of the staff. This year was a rough one, no doubt. Not much came together this year on either side of the ball.

I think everyone would agree that it was awesome when we could run over teams with our power running game. But in the past 5-6 years we haven't been able to do that effectively IMO. At least as effectively as we did it in the early to mid 90's. The WCO is what we have now. Is it possible that we go back to the power running game? Maybe, but not in the next 4-5 years at least. I think it's all going to hinge on what happens in the next 2-3 years.

Also, there are so many deviations of the WCO, we have to wait and see what this coaching staff does with the players they want. And they're getting almost all of the players they want, so it'll be interesting. I don't like the way Solich was fired either, but since I am a fan of the program, I'll give this current staff time. I believe we'll be back in the upper tier in a couple of years.

Hey LSU, what happened to Justin Vincent this year? He was phenomenal last year.

I believe that all the "hype" from last year got to Vincent's head. He didn't work out well over the summer and put on some weight, didn't have the jukes and cuts he had last year. Plus we lost some big blockers on the O line, so the holes weren't quite big enough. But Broussard and Addai have stepped up like Williams and Brown for Auburn. The one part of Nebraska's game this season that I didn't understand, What happened to the vaunted Blackshirts defense that was so oppressive over the last decade. Did Callahan change the defense ie was Solich's defensive coordinator fired along with him ? I look forward to seeing Nebraska back in the top 10 and possibily (with LSU current rise in recruiting and play) a meeting so that LSU can possibly change their 0-5 record in bowls against you guys.

The one part of Nebraska's game this season that I didn't understand, What happened to the vaunted Blackshirts defense that was so oppressive over the last decade.  Did Callahan change the defense ie was Solich's defensive coordinator fired along with him ?  I look forward to seeing Nebraska back in the top 10 and possibily (with LSU current rise in recruiting and play) a meeting so that LSU can possibly change their 0-5 record in bowls against you guys.

Our defensive coordinator last year was Bo Pelini, now with OU. Our current defensive coordinator is Kevin Cosgrove out of Wisconsin.

There are a couple theories as to what went wrong with the Blackshirts this year. One is that Cosgrove sucks. Another is that it came to light after the season ended that some defensive players never bought in to what Cosgrove was trying to do and thus could probably care less. Hard to get anything done when that kind of attitude is floating around. The guys who graduated this year had more or less had a new coordinator and a new defensive scheme every year. Funny, that didn't seem to both Ruud that much. He still played pretty well against the run.

I think the defense thrived last year because Pelini ran a lot of zone blitz. That defense can mask some inabilities, especially on the corners and the front 4. This year Cosgrove's defense seems to rely on having corner who can cover like a blanket and a front 4 that can get a rush without blitzing too much. Well, IMO, we didn't have either this year. It's very possible that we will be in for similar play next year IMO :(.

So Cosgrove went away from the zone blitzing, and was basically relying on his front four to bring constant pressure, while over-covering the pass all season? Did you guys get burned more on the ground or in the air? Are there going to be any asst. coaching changes? How long do you think the Callahan will get to improve?

So Cosgrove went away from the zone blitzing, and was basically relying on his front four to bring constant pressure, while over-covering the pass all season? Did you guys get burned more on the ground or in the air? Are there going to be any asst. coaching changes? How long do you think the Callahan will get to improve?

At times we got burned on both running and passing, but passing more often. We were decent covering the run between the tackles. Most games the defense played with no fire whatsoever.

There are no asst. coach changes but Turner Gill, the last of the "old guard" coaches, resigned last week to persue a head coaching job somewhere. He was the receivers coach.

How long will Callahan get? Well, his contract is 6 years in length and buying it out half way through would probably cost a pretty penny. When he hits year 5 I would expect his position to be re-evaluated. But with Steve Pederson at the helm as AD, who knows. A lot of people, including me, didn't really expect Solich to be fired when he was. I didn't necessarily disagree with it, but I didn't honestly expect it.

So Cosgrove went away from the zone blitzing, and was basically relying on his front four to bring constant pressure, while over-covering the pass all season?  Did you guys get burned more on the ground or in the air?  Are there going to be any asst. coaching changes?  How long do you think the Callahan will get to improve?

At times we got burned on both running and passing, but passing more often. We were decent covering the run between the tackles. Most games the defense played with no fire whatsoever.

There are no asst. coach changes but Turner Gill, the last of the "old guard" coaches, resigned last week to persue a head coaching job somewhere. He was the receivers coach.

How long will Callahan get? Well, his contract is 6 years in length and buying it out half way through would probably cost a pretty penny. When he hits year 5 I would expect his position to be re-evaluated. But with Steve Pederson at the helm as AD, who knows. A lot of people, including me, didn't really expect Solich to be fired when he was. I didn't necessarily disagree with it, but I didn't honestly expect it.

Did the university, once decideing that Solich would be let go, not even think about asking Pellini to step up as HC and bring in new a new OC in order to spark a new offensive game plan. Just seems to me that, the transition would have been alot less painfull that way. I can understand Neb. not wanting to run the option and "get up to date" with the rest of football. But at the same time, if you look at most of the teams in the hunt for the past couple years, they relied on strong defenses and great running games to get there, not the finesse pass that Nebraska thought was necessary to bring Nebraska back to the top. How is recruiting going this year?

Did the university, once decideing that Solich would be let go, not even think about asking Pellini to step up as HC and bring in new a new OC in order to spark a new offensive game plan.  Just seems to me that, the transition would have been alot less painfull that way.  I can understand Neb. not wanting to run the option and "get up to date" with the rest of football.  But at the same time, if you look at most of the teams in the hunt for the past couple years, they relied on strong defenses and great running games to get there, not the finesse pass that Nebraska thought was necessary to bring Nebraska back to the top.  How is recruiting going this year?

Pelini did "interview" for the job, but probably wasn't given a serious look. He said he was ready to become a head coach, yet took an co-coordinator job at OU. Once Callahan was hired, there were only a few coaches retained.

Barney Cotton was the offensive coordinator last year. He moved to Iowa St. and had a pretty decent year. They beat us anyway :o He was brought in by Solich, but apparently it was too little too late. Some people say he never got the chance to really roll out his offense with the QB that played last year.

Recruiting appears to be going pretty well. We have the #1 recruiting class right now, based on rivals.com rankings which shows the coaches are having some success getting the players that they want. Afterall, that's what's important in recruiting. Not necessarily all the rankings and what not. It's most likely going to take a few years for this class to shine, as with any recruiting class. We could very well have some freshmen that have an impact early, but we'll see.

Did the university, once decideing that Solich would be let go, not even think about asking Pellini to step up as HC and bring in new a new OC in order to spark a new offensive game plan.  Just seems to me that, the transition would have been alot less painfull that way.  I can understand Neb. not wanting to run the option and "get up to date" with the rest of football.  But at the same time, if you look at most of the teams in the hunt for the past couple years, they relied on strong defenses and great running games to get there, not the finesse pass that Nebraska thought was necessary to bring Nebraska back to the top.  How is recruiting going this year?

Pelini did "interview" for the job, but probably wasn't given a serious look. He said he was ready to become a head coach, yet took an co-coordinator job at OU. Once Callahan was hired, there were only a few coaches retained.

Barney Cotton was the offensive coordinator last year. He moved to Iowa St. and had a pretty decent year. They beat us anyway :o He was brought in by Solich, but apparently it was too little too late. Some people say he never got the chance to really roll out his offense with the QB that played last year.

Recruiting appears to be going pretty well. We have the #1 recruiting class right now, based on rivals.com rankings which shows the coaches are having some success getting the players that they want. Afterall, that's what's important in recruiting. Not necessarily all the rankings and what not. It's most likely going to take a few years for this class to shine, as with any recruiting class. We could very well have some freshmen that have an impact early, but we'll see.

A little off the subject, but how to Husker fans like Trev Alberts, last year I actually started dislikeing Nebraska because of him, but then decided that I couldn't judge Nebraska by just one of their former players.

The guys from my forum, tell me I'm crazy for claiming the the '95 Huskers are the best team ever in college football, but they were badass. Do you feel that they are the best team ever at Neb ?

Why is this board dead? Bad football scare away fairweathers, or what ?

Recruiting is about the only thing to be excited about around here right now. We have a very strong class coming in, and I heard we just added a JUCO QB that's originally from Norman, OK today. Recruiting is what really what led to Frank's dismissal. I wish Frank the best, but as you can see by the amount of attention he's getting nationwide for his coaching services, NU did the right thing.

A little off the subject, but how to Husker fans like Trev Alberts, last year I actually started dislikeing Nebraska because of him, but then decided that I couldn't judge Nebraska by just one of their former players.

The guys from my forum, tell me I'm crazy for claiming the the '95 Huskers are the best team ever in college football, but they were badass. Do you feel that they are the best team ever at Neb ?

Why is this board dead? Bad football scare away fairweathers, or what ?

The board has died down since the season ended. Same thing happens every year. During the year, especially this year, the board is pretty active after games and during the week. Of course,we have the members that come around only when the Huskers lose so they can groan about just about everything. We have a smaller group of members that come around all the time though.

The 95 team was no doubt one of the best ever, if not the best ever. They absolutely pummelled every team they faced. They out muscled every opponent.