If these fellows on this board that claim to have gotten it right . . . those fellows telling us about "banking" the firing of Peterson, the hiring of Osborne, the firing of Callahan, and the hiring of Pellini . . . IF THEY REALLY DID KNOW WHAT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN MONTHS AGO . . .

AND if it was based upon inside information that they had . . .

AND if that information regarded schemes and intentions by a group of influential boosters . . .

isn't that a conspiracy?

Just wondering.

Is that a violation of state statutes regarding open government and use of taxpayer money?

Just wondering.

Did Osborne really interview any other coach prospects in earnest?

Just wondering.

First off, "conspiracies" are not negative-- I'll use this definition as an example: "A group of people who make an agreement to form a partnership in which each member becomes the agent or partner of every other member and engage in planning or agreeing to commit some act." I think that might be the most basic definition that their is, but usually the preposition "against" is understood to follow. I think a better word to use is a "plan." I suppose that a family could be said to conspire to come up with a vacation plan, though the word carries too many nefarious connotations with it to be used like that by most people who speak English. The firing of Billy was inevitable after the loss to OSU, can you really question that? And like any sane CEO, the president brought in some of the "shareholders" to discuss the next course of action. Would you feel better if you thought they fired BC with *no* plan of action? That wouldn't have been a conspiracy, it would have been a bunch of bumbling idiots pretending at running a university. I'm sure they even had contingency plans in place in the event that Dr. Tom would have turned down their offer (though "pleas" might be a better word to use :) ). I would be very shocked if my university went blindly forward.

Everything they did, whether you agree with it or not, was above board and does not deserve the pseudo-criminal implications that "conspiracy" carries with it. Literally, though, yeah, sure, it was a conspiracy.

The only things I can think of right to reply to your post would be negative and would grant me a warning so Ill just stick to this..

You have got to be joking me.

Did I miss something here? Are my facts wrong? I'm just saying that this whole thing stinks to high heaven. IBR knew months ago EXACTLY what was going to happen. Doesn't this mean anything at all to you?

1. No, he didn't know EXACTLY what was going to happen. About half his information was wrong. Absurd, really.

2. The information he had correct could have just as easily been speculation as all season long the fan favorite has been Bo Pelini. I felt ever since Tom was hired that Bo would probably be the coach, and now it looks like he will be.

3. What you listed aren't facts. They're tenants of a theoretical position.

4. Your readiness to look for a conspiracy in just about everything you comment on should trouble you more than the so-called 'questionable' actions you see Dr. Tom performing. If ever there was a man who deserved a little more respect than that, it's him.

5. The simplest explanation is usually the best one. It's much easier to believe that Tom conducted the search just as he outlined it. All his actions over the past few weeks indicate that. We have no reason to reject it except the word of a fourteen year-old (judging by his writing style) who wants to feel important on a message board. It's not unreasonable to think he might have had a candidate in mind who he favored, but such is human nature and such is the way of the world. If you want to extend your definition of a foul conspiracy to include basic human inclinations, by all means, make your life that much more complicated.

So, now can you go back to looking for Atlantis?

X

You know, I don't doubt that in a meeting with Harv, a lot of the big boosters said, "If we get blown out at Texas, he's out! We'll ask McBride to come back to finish up the season blah blah blah" (and IBR did say that the change in HC would occur if NU were "blown out"). And Harv, not wanting to piss off the money said, "Okay, if that's what the interim AD wants to do, we'll go that way." They didn't count on NOT being blown out and they should have known that TO would have his reasons for not wanting to can someone mid-season. I'm just saying that there is no reason to believe that IBR is/was lying only because things didn't go the way that he reported they would. And before anyone says otherwise, this isn't to suck up to him, no, i didn't subscribe to his news letter, but only to point out the obvious-- plans fall through, live coral is difficult to transport, and that we can only guess.

Plans don't always equal reality

The only things I can think of right to reply to your post would be negative and would grant me a warning so Ill just stick to this..

You have got to be joking me.

Did I miss something here? Are my facts wrong? I'm just saying that this whole thing stinks to high heaven. IBR knew months ago EXACTLY what was going to happen. Doesn't this mean anything at all to you?

1. No, he didn't know EXACTLY what was going to happen. About half his information was wrong. Absurd, really.

2. The information he had correct could have just as easily been speculation as all season long the fan favorite has been Bo Pelini. I felt ever since Tom was hired that Bo would probably be the coach, and now it looks like he will be.

3. What you listed aren't facts. They're tenants of a theoretical position.

4. Your readiness to look for a conspiracy in just about everything you comment on should trouble you more than the so-called 'questionable' actions you see Dr. Tom performing. If ever there was a man who deserved a little more respect than that, it's him.

5. The simplest explanation is usually the best one. It's much easier to believe that Tom conducted the search just as he outlined it. All his actions over the past few weeks indicate that. We have no reason to reject it except the word of a fourteen year-old (judging by his writing style) who wants to feel important on a message board. It's not unreasonable to think he might have had a candidate in mind who he favored, but such is human nature and such is the way of the world. If you want to extend your definition of a foul conspiracy to include basic human inclinations, by all means, make your life that much more complicated.

So, now can you go back to looking for Atlantis?

X

You know, I don't doubt that in a meeting with Harv, a lot of the big boosters said, "If we get blown out at Texas, he's out! We'll ask McBride to come back to finish up the season blah blah blah" (and IBR did say that the change in HC would occur if NU were "blown out"). And Harv, not wanting to piss off the money said, "Okay, if that's what the interim AD wants to do, we'll go that way." They didn't count on NOT being blown out and they should have known that TO would have his reasons for not wanting to can someone mid-season. I'm just saying that there is no reason to believe that IBR is/was lying only because things didn't go the way that he reported they would. And before anyone says otherwise, this isn't to suck up to him, no, i didn't subscribe to his news letter, but only to point out the obvious-- plans fall through, live coral is difficult to transport, and that we can only guess.

Plans don't always equal reality

Yeah, there's that damn human factor