Mutiny in Huskerland

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Pelini whispered into White's ear to throw those 2 INT's just to see if his defense could keep USC out of the end zone. I'm sure he told the punt returner to do only God knows what on the 5 yard line so Pelini could see if his D could get a stop. This is amazing. The offense gives the ball up inside the red zone, and you want to blame the D and D coordinator. Get a life!

They couldn't stop Leinert! Were you watching the same game? 5 OU turnovers led to 31 USC points, but they scored 55! OU held them to a field-goal once, and they got 4 TD's from the others. Get a Red Zone STOP!! Leinert had 332 yards and 5 TD's. White had 118 yards on 15 carries, and Bush had 75 yards on 6 carries. They couldn't stop anything. People are quick to hail Pelini as a teriffic coach, but this isn't the 1st time his D has looked bad. He is not ready to be a head coach at a top-tier school like NU. Were you impressed with his red-zone D last night junior?

Dave,

I see your point here - we only see what the carriers show us, absolutely. But would you agree with the idea that the play on the field reflects the emotional state of the team to a degree? You can tell when a team's just plain beat down or flat in their play - and I don't think you need to watch them on the practice field or in team meetings to know when a coach is motivating them or not.

And, I also agree that seniors and upperclassmen have to step up and take charge, but only to a degree. Again, would you agree or disagree with this: the head coach has the greatest impact on the team's emotional state as a whole of any single person?

It would be unreasonable to blame Callahan for the emotional flatness - but even if he's not the cause, I think it's his job to be the cure.

IRISH!

I only got to see the player/coach interviews on Husker.com (the pay portion) so I at least felt some connection with the season. The players showed very little emotion and confidence in the interviews or on the televised games that I received. Granted, the players may be told to maintain some semblance of a appropriate demeanor but very few showed much real emotion and some times with good cause. I think BC at least showed a little humorous side at times and serious side too. I hope to see that change as the "SYSTEM" is digested more next year and the players become acclimated to it and the coaches. But it is like you say too, there needs to be solid leadership both from the players and coaches. IMO the coaches seemed to grasp what needed to be done but nothing happened between the sidelines and the players for a majority of the time. Room for improvement sure and hopefully it will be more apparent in the coming season.

:horns2 GBR