NU fighting to keep recruits

Moving to the Recruiting forum.

I should know better than to question the head honchos, but -- WTF are we supposed to talk about at this point?'

Recruiting is nearing the plateau, our season is over, we can't talk about our new coaches...what?

Are we simply to post more videos of how great we were in 1995?

I hate to question this, as it makes me look like an ass to the people that work so hard to keep this site going... but I think all this moving has actually made things more difficult to navigate. Everything is now fragmented.

The way things are going lately, every time I post I have to ask myself whether I'm in the right section --- and I'm always posting about current Nebraska Football!

With no talk about recruiting or NU's new coaches, virtually everything can be moved to the BS Forum. How that Mikey Bo thread hasn't been moved is beyond me.

There's no problem with questioning the way the Board is operated - feedback helps and brings out ideas we may not have ourselves. But let me try and explain why we are doing this...

First, bear in mind that most folks hit the main page - the first page on the Husker Football forum. Unfortunately, when posts run beyond that first page, very few actually read them or even click to the second or third page. That means that keeping each area "clean" helps ensure that all posts are seen, and that topics don't drop off.

At one time we had quite a few less forums. People complained that they either missed things or that their threads got pushed off the main page. Recruiting was given its own forum because - particularly as signing day approaches - the number of posts and threads jump tremendously.

Finally, a lot of folks come to the Board for specific areas. We know, for example, that there are people that hit just the Recruiting forum, or just the BS forum - or just the Husker Football forum.

When you add it all up, the reasons we do it are:

1. To allow people to immediately go to the areas that interest them - rather than having to wade through 17 different kinds of topics that are totally unrealted.

2. To keep threads "visible" as much as possible to generate posts.

We try and make sure that there is "visibility" on moved posts by allowing the link in the forum from where it was moved. People interested in a topic moved from, say, the Husker Football forum to the Recruiting forum can click the link in the Husker Football forum and read the posts - and then continue the discussion where it should be. The Board software actually allows us to move threads without leaving any breadcrumb to the location to which they were moved. Most often, we leave that breadcrumb.

If you think back to when the Rumors forum was going crazy, the number of threads were ridiculous - it wasn't uncommon to have three pages of posts per day. Had we left all of that in the Husker Football forum, that's all anyone would have seen - and a lot of people didn't want to see it.

As for the "Mikey Bo" threads, it has some relevance to Husker Football since it's talking about the Tunnel Walk. Yes, just about every post has some relevance - but when it concerns something for which we've created a specific forum for that topic, we move it there for the reasons I've stated. Same with the football uniform discussions.

When you add it all up, the reasons we do it are:

1. To allow people to immediately go to the areas that interest them - rather than having to wade through 17 different kinds of topics that are totally unrealted.

2. To keep threads "visible" as much as possible to generate posts.

When I read back over my post, I realized that I sounded like an ass. Sorry.

Thanks for running this site. I am very appreciative of what you do...and pro bono at that. Very cool.