NU fighting to keep recruits

I don't care of some farmboy from Elkhorn has dreamed of playing for Nebraska since he was a kid, and his daddy was a Husker. If he can only run a 4.8, and some kid from Arizona who weighs 20 lbs more runs a 4.4, I'll take the Arizona kid, thank you very much.

The question isn't what anyone can run -- it's what they will run. If that guy that runs 4.4 doesn't give a crap, and runs a 4.6 on the field because of a bad attitude, and that 4.8 guy from Elkhorn plays his heart out and runs a 4.6 on gameday, I'll take the dude from Elkhorn every day of the week.

Talent is important, and work ethic is more important. The question isn't "What did this guy do in high school", the question is "What will this guy do for us at Nebraska". Past performance can indicate future performance, but there are outside factors. In addition to all that, if the dude that runs a 4.4 doesn't have a team attitude, and is just out to make himself look good, I'll take the 4.8 guy that's dreamed of playing for Nebraska, because you know he'll be willing to do nearly anything that allows him to accomplish that dream.

:yeah

I think the first thing you have to do is close the Nebraska border. Any kid with any talent shouldn't be going to another school. Some of the best players ever to strap on pads at NU were from NU (Crouch, Ahman, etc.) Great programs and coaches seal off their borders. IMO, this is the first thing we need to do. TO typically always did a good job of blending in outside talent with instate walk ons.

You know...I brought up all those same points in another thread about rather having a 2-star recruit with lots of desire but lesser talent playing on my team than a 5-star recuit with lots of talent but less desire...and, if I can remember correctly...most of you said I was full of crap.... <_<

I have to agree...and i get a lot of crap myself for that view. You still have to try to get the 5 star, but you don't sell your soul to get him....and he has to show some desire and understanding of what the Huskers are about.

You know...I brought up all those same points in another thread about rather having a 2-star recruit with lots of desire but lesser talent playing on my team than a 5-star recuit with lots of talent but less desire...and, if I can remember correctly...most of you said I was full of crap.... <_<

I haven't seen your comments yet, but obviously I agree with you.

I haven't seen your comments yet, but obviously I agree with you.

Link under the "Treat with Scorn" section of this web site. You'll find most of my observations have been moved to that area.... :angry:

The point is that the farther you go away from Nebraska, fewer kids are going to understand the tradition of the program. Nebraska just isn't the name nationally that it used to be.

So if you really want to get kids who understand the heritage of Husker football, you are going to have a lot of in-state kids.

My point is to just get talent.

you need to get out more, I travel all over the country, and you would be surprised how many people understand the tradition at Nebraska and have respect for it. There are Husker fans everywhere that have never stepped foot in Nebraska....not many schools can say that.

:bonez:steam:steam:bonez

We are HUSKER FAMILY! Thousands and thousands, standing shoulder to shoulder, heads held high, united by our devotion to Husker Football.

>>>T_O_B

:bonez:cheers:cheers:bonez

I have to agree...and i get a lot of crap myself for that view. You still have to try to get the 5 star, but you don't sell your soul to get him....and he has to show some desire and understanding of what the Huskers are about.

In this country, there are a number of big, fast, quick athletes who are not on the radar screen for a number of reasons. Maybe it's a Class C school. Maybe it's a small school in a rural area. Maybe it's an offensive player who was under-used. There are many unknown H.C. players out there who have four for five star potential. Mike Rozier and Irving Fryer were unknowns in high school. Rozier played fullback in a wishbone offense and didn't carry the ball that much. Fryer played tight end in high school and didn't catch many passes. They're out there guys. The challenge is finding them.

agree, cally couldn't have possibly explained that to Beck.........a California dreamer who just wanted to show up and play.

In this country, there are a number of big, fast, quick athletes who are not on the radar screen for a number of reasons. Maybe it's a Class C school. Maybe it's a small school in a rural area. Maybe it's an offensive player who was under-used. There are many unknown H.C. players out there who have four for five star potential. Mike Rozier and Irving Fryer were unknowns in high school. Rozier played fullback in a wishbone offense and didn't carry the ball that much. Fryer played tight end in high school and didn't catch many passes. They're out there guys. The challenge is finding them.

exactly, just like KU and MU qbs........both overlooked by Texas schools, their own home boys...

My guess is that these recruits that are dropping out like the way the old staff ran thing. It was like summer camp. No contact during practice so they would break a nail or mess up there hair. Probably told they would start and go to the NFL. Then here comes Bo practice is like boot camp and says If you want to play you better be ready to bust your ass. I aint gonna hand you a silver spoon. If they don't want to come to NU than who needs them.

The point is that the farther you go away from Nebraska, fewer kids are going to understand the tradition of the program. Nebraska just isn't the name nationally that it used to be.

So if you really want to get kids who understand the heritage of Husker football, you are going to have a lot of in-state kids.

My point is to just get talent.

you need to get out more, I travel all over the country, and you would be surprised how many people understand the tradition at Nebraska and have respect for it. There are Husker fans everywhere that have never stepped foot in Nebraska....not many schools can say that.

Riiiight. I'm sure you sit down with HS-aged kids all the time and they wax eloquent about Husker tradition.

I don't care of some farmboy from Elkhorn has dreamed of playing for Nebraska since he was a kid, and his daddy was a Husker. If he can only run a 4.8, and some kid from Arizona who weighs 20 lbs more runs a 4.4, I'll take the Arizona kid, thank you very much.

The question isn't what anyone can run -- it's what they will run. If that guy that runs 4.4 doesn't give a crap, and runs a 4.6 on the field because of a bad attitude, and that 4.8 guy from Elkhorn plays his heart out and runs a 4.6 on gameday, I'll take the dude from Elkhorn every day of the week.

Talent is important, and work ethic is more important. The question isn't "What did this guy do in high school", the question is "What will this guy do for us at Nebraska". Past performance can indicate future performance, but there are outside factors. In addition to all that, if the dude that runs a 4.4 doesn't have a team attitude, and is just out to make himself look good, I'll take the 4.8 guy that's dreamed of playing for Nebraska, because you know he'll be willing to do nearly anything that allows him to accomplish that dream.

Why do you assume that the talented guy doesn't give a crap and won't play hard? Because he doesn't understand the Husker tradition as well as others? Really? Only kids who understand Nebraska's history play hard?

Apparently most of the "Blackshirts" of 2007 didn't understand tradition, right?

This is a faulty argument. Obviously, you want talented kids who play hard. But you've done nothing to prove that the kid who runs a 4.4 has a "bad attitude." And you've also done nothing to prove that the kid from Elkhorn is actually bust his ass every single play.

Sure, work ethic and attitude are factors in recruiting a player, but, all other things being equal, you always take the more talented kid.