NU fighting to keep recruits

http://journalstar.com/articles/2007/12/18...10928579363.txt

I think these star ratings are, well, over-rated. I would rather have a 2 or 3 star recruit come to Nebraska because of the wanting to be a part of the tradition than have a 5 star that don't know why he is here.

Osborne was a genius when it came to recruiting nobodies from Nebraska and making them into somebody to be reckoned with. Hopefully Pelini can do the same. I am not too worried about this, if anything, it frees up scholarships for those kids that want to be here...and gives Bo a few to hand out to kids that he can recruit himself. You really cannot consider this years group of recruits to be Bo's, BC and company did most of the work on getting the ones they wanted...not necessarily kids that this coaching staff would want. Instead of being able to wait 4 years to claim that Bo finally has all "his" recruits, I think we will be waiting 5 to be able to say that.

Bo seems open to the idea of listening to Osborne and others when it comes to their ideas. I think that is the one thing that brought BC down. I think the core of the coaching staff is a good one. With their input, I believe that we will do well. I think they are teachers, and will be able to take a mediocre player and make them a good one, which BC and company also could not do...they strictly relied on the talent the kid had coming in, it was up to him to produce, like in the pros.

I have a positive outlook, no matter where the recruiting goes this year. Yeah, it would be nice to keep some of them, but if they are not committed to Nebraska, I would rather give the scholarship to someone else that has the desire to see this program succeed. :hellloooo

:bonez:steam:steam:bonez

The recruits who don't come we are better off without. They obviously hadn't bought into Nebraska as much as they had bought BC's BS.

As with, "God, Country, Family." they have to believe, "University of Nebraska, HC Peleni, My Teamates." With this type of attitude we will rise again.

>>>T_O_B

:bonez:cheers:cheers:bonez

The recruits who don't come we are better off without. They obviously hadn't bought into Nebraska as much as they had bought BC's BS.

As with, "God, Country, Family." they have to believe, "University of Nebraska, HC Peleni, My Teamates." With this type of attitude we will rise again.

>>>T_O_B

I think you may be right T_O_B. I think the ones dropping out are now thinking, "Gee, I may have to compete for a position on the team now. Maybe I better go somewhere where it will be easier and I won't have to work as hard."

>>>T_O_B

The bad thing is that we have some players on the roster now that did buy into BC's crap...and they need to come around to thinking in a new way, otherwise I hope that they will be sitting their butts on the sideline and cooling their heals.

I look forward to the day when we can say that we have kids here once again that buy into the "God, country, family, Pelini, and teammates come first" philosophy. That will be up to the ones that are already here. They can either buy in and be a part of it, or be in the way and hopefully be pushed out. I have a feeling that there may be at least one player that takes off to another school before the first semester is over, because they feel like the promise of being led to the pro's is not being fulfilled by this staff.

They need to relearn that this is a team sport, they are not just individuals looking to pave their own way.

>>>T_O_B

Hiring Pelini didn't boost recruiting?

>>>T_O_B

Hiring Pelini didn't boost recruiting?

These kids looked at BC and company and believed what they had to say...now they are dealing with uncertainty, and if there was a second choice in their choosing a school to go to, all of a sudden it is looking pretty good, depending on what that coach is telling them.

Nobody likes to rebuild, it isn't overnight, it isn't easy. They see themselves here for 4 years and then being gone, most schools don't have the base to change that fast...I believe we do. But they have to believe also.

I think these star ratings are, well, over-rated. I would rather have a 2 or 3 star recruit come to Nebraska because of the wanting to be a part of the tradition than have a 5 star that don't know why he is here.

Well, we might as well just recruit Nebraska, then. Close the borders, right? I couldn't disagree more with this statement. Give me talent over a desire to be part of Nebraska's tradition, anyday.

I don't care of some farmboy from Elkhorn has dreamed of playing for Nebraska since he was a kid, and his daddy was a Husker. If he can only run a 4.8, and some kid from Arizona who weighs 20 lbs more runs a 4.4, I'll take the Arizona kid, thank you very much.

Just my thoughts.....I honestly think BC and company were telling these kids they had a shot at the NFL. I have heard this several times. Instead of selling the program and playing for the name on the front of the jersey, I think he was selling the program as a farm league, or stepping stone to the NFL. Again, just my thoughts.

I agree with some of the posts, if they back out. Who gives a damn? we are better off without them. I don't care about 4 or 5 star athletes. Get someone who can hit and run the damn ball. Enough of this finesse crap. I bet if you looked over the past few years (before BC), I bet we didnt' have highly ranked recruiting classes anyway. Bunch of bs if you ask me.

Well, we might as well just recruit Nebraska, then. Close the borders, right? I couldn't disagree more with this statement. Give me talent over a desire to be part of Nebraska's tradition, anyday.

I don't care of some farmboy from Elkhorn has dreamed of playing for Nebraska since he was a kid, and his daddy was a Husker. If he can only run a 4.8, and some kid from Arizona who weighs 20 lbs more runs a 4.4, I'll take the Arizona kid, thank you very much.

Yeah, I am all for recruiting in Nebraska....I didn't say anything about closing the borders...you read that into my statement. My point is that I would take a kid that wants to be here any day over someone that don't know why he is here. Team comes before individual, so he better want to be part of the team, not just because it is the fast track to the NFL because we had a coach that promised as much.

Most of these kids will not ever see the NFL, they should be here because they believe in the program. If someone has to be sold something, I am not sure he needs to be here anyway.

The point is that the farther you go away from Nebraska, fewer kids are going to understand the tradition of the program. Nebraska just isn't the name nationally that it used to be.

So if you really want to get kids who understand the heritage of Husker football, you are going to have a lot of in-state kids.

My point is to just get talent.

The point is that the farther you go away from Nebraska, fewer kids are going to understand the tradition of the program. Nebraska just isn't the name nationally that it used to be.

So if you really want to get kids who understand the heritage of Husker football, you are going to have a lot of in-state kids.

My point is to just get talent.

you need to get out more, I travel all over the country, and you would be surprised how many people understand the tradition at Nebraska and have respect for it. There are Husker fans everywhere that have never stepped foot in Nebraska....not many schools can say that.

The question isn't what anyone can run -- it's what they will run. If that guy that runs 4.4 doesn't give a crap, and runs a 4.6 on the field because of a bad attitude, and that 4.8 guy from Elkhorn plays his heart out and runs a 4.6 on gameday, I'll take the dude from Elkhorn every day of the week.

Talent is important, and work ethic is more important. The question isn't "What did this guy do in high school", the question is "What will this guy do for us at Nebraska". Past performance can indicate future performance, but there are outside factors. In addition to all that, if the dude that runs a 4.4 doesn't have a team attitude, and is just out to make himself look good, I'll take the 4.8 guy that's dreamed of playing for Nebraska, because you know he'll be willing to do nearly anything that allows him to accomplish that dream.