BCS Championship

T_O_Bull

:bonez:steam:steam:bonez

I don't know about the rest of you but I think the BCS is the worst thing to happen to college football in the last 100 years, if not ever.

To have the NC game on any day other than New Years Day absolutely stinks, STINKS. To play this game on a week night is a crime that deserves capitol punishment.

Sorry FOX I won't watch.

>>>T_O_B

:steam:steam:steam:steam:steam:steam

I don't know about the rest of you but I think the BCS is the worst thing to happen to college football in the last 100 years, if not ever.

To have the NC game on any day other than New Years Day absolutely stinks, STINKS. To play this game on a week night is a crime that deserves capitol punishment.

Sorry FOX I won't watch.

>>>T_O_B

The NC game was moved off of New Year's Day before the Bowl Alliance or BCS came around if I recall correctly. Undoubdetly so that the massively underpriveledged NFL wouldn't have to compete with it... :angry:

Sorry FOX I won't watch.

>>>T_O_B

The NC game was moved off of New Year's Day before the Bowl Alliance or BCS came around if I recall correctly. Undoubdetly so that the massively underpriveledged NFL wouldn't have to compete with it... :angry:

I think you are right but I also think it was because Jan 1 fell on a Sunday. I still can't find it in my heart to cut the BCS any slack. Next thing you know and they will be playing the NC on Valentine's Day. :sarcasm

>>>T_O_B

• 2 weeks later...

Why did they get rid of the old method from the 90's? seemed to work much better...

Because the sports media needs something to whine about. No controversy means no ratings so they picked the bowls system to cry about....how it doesn't produce a "true" national champion. Not that it was intended to. But that's why I believe we'll never get a playoff.. Start a playoff system and you end the reason they have to make noise. They'll just start complaining about how the playoff doesn't get the right teams in. Then it'll be something else.

The writers poll started in 1937, the Coaches in 1950-something. Originally you played to win your conference and a bowl was just a reward for a great season. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion. I wish the NCAA would just reject the national polls and go back to the old ways. That way we might even get to play ALL of tghe teams in our conference every year too.

Because the sports media needs something to whine about. No controversy means no ratings so they picked the bowls system to cry about....how it doesn't produce a "true" national champion. Not that it was intended to. But that's why I believe we'll never get a playoff.. Start a playoff system and you end the reason they have to make noise. They'll just start complaining about how the playoff doesn't get the right teams in. Then it'll be something else.

The writers poll started in 1937, the Coaches in 1950-something. Originally you played to win your conference and a bowl was just a reward for a great season. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion. I wish the NCAA would just reject the national polls and go back to the old ways. That way we might even get to play ALL of tghe teams in our conference every year too.

All I know is, before the BCS, it seemed everything turned out fine. You didn't put teams into a computer and see what resulted. There was no confusion.

All I know is, before the BCS, it seemed everything turned out fine. You didn't put teams into a computer and see what resulted. There was no confusion.

Fffffine?

We are probably as much to blame as anybody for the BCS (Improvement) <_<

Us...and Conference tie-ins to Bowls..Still not sure what the reason for Big-8 champion having to always go to the OB in Miami..

If only we hadn't gone undefeated the same year(s) as State Penn and Mechicken in '94 and '97..The Bowl Alliance probably wouldn't have been able to persuade the Rose Bowl to quit providing sanctuary for the Big10 and Pac10 Champions every year.

The BCS may not be perfect..But it's mucho better than what we used to have.

Todd Blackledge agrees that the old way was better than what we have now.

>>>T_O_B

:bonez:cheers:cheers:bonez

I was just wonderin' (again) today about wishing they were all on the same day...But I imagine it would've happened with or without the BCS..There's just a lot more money to be made if the Bowl games don't have to compete for Advertising $ (ratings points) wif each other.

Remember when the Big Bowls only paid 1mill. per team?...Now they can attract big companies to dish out 10 times that and have them able to recoup that just by the added visibility alone.

Sorta like 12 days of Christmas (Hanuka?) instead of only one like we grew up with.

In a season like this..I might druther get the Bowl over with all at onced..But..Most seasons..I'd like to drink them all in without having to switch back and forth or watch a split-screen like my Brother.

Todd Blackledge agrees that the old way was better than what we have now.

>>>T_O_B

Where? (Link?)

That's like saying he concedes Penn State wouldn't stand a chance against us in '94 (With the BCS, we'd probably have a "head to Head" with them rather than having to share the MNC.

It's fun to poke fun of Penn State using the "Old System" to avoid us by playing #12 Oregon in the Rose Bowl, but I doubt the compettitor in him would really say that he wouldn't rather play Nebraska for the whole thing...Like they would under the current BCS we have today.

http://www.lionhrtpub.com/orms/10-95text/fb.html

Last year, as in 1991, two teams, Penn State and Nebraska, finished the season undefeated. Since Penn State plays in the Big Ten Conference, which is not part of the Bowl Coalition, the two teams did not meet in a bowl. However, unlike 1991, Nebraska was named national champion in both polls (though, again, not unanimously), giving Penn State the dubious distinction of finishing a season undefeated and not being named mythical national champion on three different occasions (1968, 1969 and 1994). Justifiably so, Penn State followers cried "Foul!" to all who would listen.
  • 2 weeks later...

:):):):):):)

We used to have a big party, lots of food, drink and TV's in 4 different rooms. Sugar Bowl on New Years Eve. Cotton and (I think) Gator Bowls usually over lapped a bit but the Rose which was next had no conflict and neither did the Orange that came last. Usually a great time especially if the Huskers won.

>>>T_O_B

:):):):):):)