A Prince on the field

College football a learning process for Amukamara

By George Witkowski

Nebraska Cornhuskers defensive back and former Apollo running back/defensive back Prince Amukamara knew the change in athletic routines might be difficult, but he has adjusted as best as possible.

"It was definitely a huge transition because college comes with more responsibility," Amukamara said. "You have to be at the top of your game for football and academics."

Unlike shorter practices at Apollo, Amukamara had to get used to the lengthier ones at Nebraska.

"Practices were longer - three hours - and before that, we had walk-throughs (talks about the offensive and defensive assignments). You have to be 100 percent all the time because we're trying to get each other better."

Amukamara played cornerback in 2007 for the 5-7 Cornhuskers in which he was credited with four tackles (two solo, two assisted) in eight games.

After playing at Apollo, he had to get used to playing before 81,067 fans at Nebraska Memorial Stadium. Nebraska has a string of 289 consecutive home sellouts, the longest in the country, according to Jeffrey Griesch, director of media operations for the University of Nebraska. The string dates back to its homecoming game against Missouri Nov. 3, 1962, when Bob Devenney was Nebraska's football coach.

"You're on a bigger stage because you're at Nebraska and the crowds are loyal, and they don't leave until the last second," Amukamara said. "If you win or lose, they cheer you, but if you lose, they'll ask, 'what happened?' because they're concerned fans and care about Nebraska football."

After a senior season at Apollo in which he rushed for 2,106 yards and 34 touchdowns, Amukamara's defensive skills came into play, he said.

"Earlier in the season, in fall camp, they tried me out at running back, but it was too stacked and I had to start up with everything and couldn't catch up," he said. "The people there (in camp), were there for a week or two and I was already playing cornerback. I was only put in as a running back for two days."

Aside from playing cornerback, Amukamara played on special teams and was named Special Teams Player of the Game Nov. 3 against the University of Kansas.

Throughout the season, he worked with Nebraska special teams and safeties coach Bill Busch.

With the 2007 season a memory, who knows what is in store for the coming year?

"Since we have a new coach (former 2007 LSU defensive coordinator Bo Pelini, also a former Nebraska defensive coordinator under Frank Solich in 2003), they might try to use me on both sides of the ball in spring ball," Amukamara said. "We're still a young team, but a majority of our starters are coming back."

Amukamara still longs to serve at Apollo one day in some capacity.

"I can't see myself as a head coach, but I see myself as a substitute teacher or principal because I love Apollo to death," he said.

With Amukamara's drive on the field, he will no doubt get to where he wants off the football field.

Can't wait to see where he ends up! He's got the swagger of a CB, but I believe from his HS film he could be an incredible RB.

Regardless, he needs to be put as a kick returner for sure... I don't know about returning punts though because of how good they've said he is at blocking them which he showed in the Kansas game.

"You're on a bigger stage because you're at Nebraska and the crowds are loyal, and they don't leave until the last second," Amukamara said. "If you win or lose, they cheer you, but if you lose, they'll ask, 'what happened?' because they're concerned fans and care about Nebraska football."

That's very generous of him - and I'm glad that he has such a high view of Husker fans.

This is a great article about another one of our finne players...really gotta love his attitude! He wants to go back to serve his high school...not "I want to be in the NFL, period." And if he gets that chance...all the better, right?

That's very generous of him - and I'm glad that he has such a high view of Husker fans.

Yeah, he must not have looked up in the stands at all during the Okie St. game <_<

But, I'm really excited to see this guy on the field more.