Billy Sims vs. Dave Rimington

knapplc

Billy Sims vs. Dave Rimington  

6 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I had to select Rimington for this one - and not based on the fact he's a Husker. Rather, it was because he set the gold standard for his position - actually for any line position. While Sims was remarkable, I don't think you can say he is the gold standard for running backs.

One problem is that a single skill position player can appear to dominate simply because he has the ball in his hands and the opportunity to change the course of a game on a single play. Conversely, linemen are usually not even noticed - unless they screw up. To be the guy that epitomizes his position - that's enough to swing it Rimington's way, in my mind.

I like to think that Husker fans may be unique in our appreciation for linemen. "The Pipeline" was something many of us grew up with, and with Option football being part of our football heritage we know (or SHOULD know) how tremendously important great linemen are to a successful team.

I think I've convinced myself that Rimington is the way to go here. Not because he's a Husker, but because like AR said, he is the Gold Standard for his position, and it's a vitally important position at that.