Brian Thorson

To put it bluntly, if you believe Callahan showed half the respect for this state that Pelini has so far, you've just not been paying attention for awhile.

i guess i haven't been paying attention then... even though i've been following pretty much everything.

i don't see where BC disrespected the state. from what i could tell, the guy gave it his all. i think this sort of talk is just propaganda, honestly.

To put it bluntly, if you believe Callahan showed half the respect for this state that Pelini has so far, you've just not been paying attention for awhile.

i guess i haven't been paying attention then... even though i've been following pretty much everything.

i don't see where BC disrespected the state. from what i could tell, the guy gave it his all. i think this sort of talk is just propaganda, honestly.

That's not what several of the state's high school coaches have said. Callahan made very few attempts to embrace the traditions of the team or the state. This is pretty well undisputed, so to even have the debate at this point would be fruitless.

Anyhow, it's off topic. I'm sure a few years down the road you'll see the advantages of a walk on program which is taken seriously.

A walk on program is only viable when the walk ons know they have a legitimate shot to contribute, and they're not going to be brushed under the rug because a 5-star thinks his sh#t should be packaged as air freshener.

What you are saying here makes sense, but is there any evidence that this was a problem under BC? The walk on program was up and running, he was handing a few schollys each year to walk ons nor have i heard any of the walk ons under BC complain.

Callahan made very few attempts to embrace the traditions of the team or the state.

Such as?

When you basically call me ignorant (being asleep for several years) but then try to move the subject somewhere else, it makes me think you can't really answer these questions.

if you don't want to discuss it here, you can send me a pm.

Callahan made very few attempts to embrace the traditions of the team or the state.

Such as?

When you basically call me ignorant (being asleep for several years) but then try to move the subject somewhere else, it makes me think you can't really answer these questions.

Look, this issue is dead. Callahan is gone. It was never my intention to call you ignorant; I was merely using an expression. This topic is as old as dirt and many an internet message board war has been waged over it. The short version is that several former players complained about being left out in the cold, the facilities became like Fort Knox, high school coaches across the state complained about Callahan's cold shoulder, there was talk that walk ons were treated like punching bags with no real shot to contribute on the field, the blackshirts were reduced to nothing, and the locals that lived around Callahan claimed that he was not much involved with anything but watching film in his office.

This, along with several personal quirks like claiming he'd done and excellent job in all areas when Kansas shelacked our asses by 80 points, has led to the great hope that Pelini can restore what has been forgotten around these parts, and that starts with the walk on program, and it starts with the attitude, fire, and drive it represents and can deliver to the players with scholarships to make them better.

Part of the mythical Nebraska Way involves the notion that any kid in this state who chucks hay bales around all summer has the opportunity to come in and put on the scarlet and cream. Now it may in reality be just like the concept that anyone born in the States can be president, but the opportunity itself is worth more than a lot of people give it credit for.

Such as?

Look, this issue is dead. Callahan is gone. It was never my intention to call you ignorant; I was merely using an expression. This topic is as old as dirt and many an internet message board war has been waged over it. The short version is that several former players complained about being left out in the cold, the facilities became like Fort Knox, high school coaches across the state complained about Callahan's cold shoulder, there was talk that walk ons were treated like punching bags with no real shot to contribute on the field, the blackshirts were reduced to nothing, and the locals that lived around Callahan claimed that he was not much involved with anything but watching film in his office.

This, along with several personal quirks like claiming he'd done and excellent job in all areas when Kansas shelacked our asses by 80 points, has led to the great hope that Pelini can restore what has been forgotten around these parts, and that starts with the walk on program, and it starts with the attitude, fire, and drive it represents and can deliver to the players with scholarships to make them better.

Part of the mythical Nebraska Way involves the notion that any kid in this state who chucks hay bales around all summer has the opportunity to come in and put on the scarlet and cream. Now it may in reality be just like the concept that anyone born in the States can be president, but the opportunity itself is worth more than a lot of people give it credit for.

ok. these things i know of. let's just say i have a different view on them then you do amd leave it at that then.

To paraphrase, he got to talk to Pelini, Osborne, and Cotton. Each of them basically said the same thing. Whether you're a full scholarship player or a walk on, you're going to get treated the same.

Aside from having tuition, books, and room & board paid... what's left for them to be treated the same in?

there are perks to being a college athlete esp at that level.