Will the defense be better next year?

kramer

Yep, the speed is what makes or breaks. We didn't have it this year.

Man, I just watched my 96 Title Game DVD again, and it's amazing to watch our D-Linemen run sideline-to-sideline with Florida's skill players. And if they do get the burst and get past Peter and Wistrom, then our LB's just blow them up. We need that back.

I think a big part of this years D will be which player will step up to lead the team. The JUCO players will hopefully play a big part in filling the gaps left by graduation and leaving for the NFL. Maybe some of the freshmen will prove to be the next Fabian. The main thing is having guys with non stop motors. Like everbody has said, Speed is the name of the game. We had it in the past and can get it again. This year the D should be more cohesive with a stable group of coaches without major changes in philosphy. IMO the D should play the weaker teams much tougher and make a game out of the bigger challenges.

GBR

:horns2

If all the players play this year will the drop off in talent/experience be made up for by the motivation/attitude of the new starters? How much will this defense improve or drop off from last year?

No not even close. Hard to be better when losing Ruud, Bullocks and fabain. Arguably are 3 best players on defense.

No not even close. Hard to be better when losing Ruud, Bullocks and fabain. Arguably are 3 best players on defense.

If the two new starters at DB can play man to man then it will be an improvement. J. Bullocks wasn't a man to man guy and Fabian looked lost this year. Hopefully whoever play ILB is better at pass coverage then Ruud. He was a stud against the run but struggled against the pass.

We'll be much better. Attitudes and athleticism will be greatly improved. We'll probably have DE's this year with more speed than our LB's last year.

Our weakness last year (LB and DL) should be more of a strength this year, and with added pressure on the QB our DB's should be able to make more plays like they did in 03. Having slow linebackers that can't effectively rush the passer OR provide decent pass coverage killed us this past year.

We'll be much better. Attitudes and athleticism will be greatly improved. We'll probably have DE's this year with more speed than our LB's last year.

Our weakness last year (LB and DL) should be more of a strength this year, and with added pressure on the QB our DB's should be able to make more plays like they did in 03. Having slow linebackers that can't effectively rush the passer OR provide decent pass coverage killed us this past year.

I guess for your lb's to effectively pass the rusher, your D-cord would have to mix in a blitz or two in his package.

Coz-worthless has yet to set a gameplan that includes a good blitz.

We'll be much better.  Attitudes and athleticism will be greatly improved.  We'll probably have DE's this year with more speed than our LB's last year.

Our weakness last year (LB and DL) should be more of a strength this year, and with added pressure on the QB our DB's should be able to make more plays like they did in 03.  Having slow linebackers that can't effectively rush the passer OR provide decent pass coverage killed us this past year.

I guess for your lb's to effectively pass the rusher, your D-cord would have to mix in a blitz or two in his package.

I believe when it was all said and done we blitzed more this year than last. I can't remember where I read that. It clearly wasn't as effective though. I think Hollowell and Williams had a lot to do with it.

I believe when it was all said and done we blitzed more this year than last. I can't remember where I read that. It clearly wasn't as effective though. I think Hollowell and Williams had a lot to do with it.

Yep, we did blitz more this year. Not very effective though when slow LB's are blitzing and getting picked up easily and the front 4 isn't getting thru. The great Bill Belicheck could have sent the blitz last year and it wouldn't have been effective.

I'm sure the coaches will be blamed when we lose and luck will be blamed when we start to win.