Ark. AD grants NU permission

Channel 6 in Omaha reports that the Arkansas AD granted Nebraska permission to interview Houston Nutt. The AD said that Nebraska is a great team with deep pockets. When asked if Arkansas would make a counter offer, if necessary, the Arkansas AD said "most likely".

Some interesting side notes I believe are worth citing. Nutt has ten more loses in the past six seasons than Solich did, BUT he defeated both Missouri and Texas this year including Texas last year also.

This might be an interesting hire. I think he has good experience, fiery and could do considerable well at NU because of better resources.

Interesting how NU lost Van Horn to Arkansas and the football team might hire the Arkansas football coach

eric "the red"

Some interesting facts about Nutt:

"Under Nutt, who is 45, Arkansas has won more games than any other school in the Western Division of the Southeastern Conference since 1998. The Razorbacks are the only SEC West team to advance to five straight bowl games in that span."

"He has the leadership qualities any athletic director would want," (Arkansas AD)Broyles said.

Arkansas wrapped up a 9-4 season on Wednesday night, the school's third nine-win campaign since Nutt arrived in 1998. The Razorbacks had gone eight years without a nine-win season before Nutt, who is 48-27.

Guest WyomingHusker

What does Pederson do if these guys keep turning him down? What can NU offer that ARk can't? I mean head coach in a succesful program is a head coach in a succesful program!!!!! ;) Does it become money? Then he is buying a coach instead of hiring one. What about Turner Gill? And Bo? Just chopped liver?

Are you feeling okay WyomingHusker? Still a little wobbly from last night maybe? :) What can NU offer him that Ark cant? I dont know where to start. Yes money would be number 1, tradition number 2, a better conference 3, etc etc etc.

If The Nutt knows whats good for him, he will be in Lincoln by Monday.

Not sure what qualities he has that Solich Gill or Bo do not. He said he was looking for someone w/better leadership ability. He must come off well to SP. Confidence and experience are key. Neither Bo or Frank possessed both.

:ph34r:

WyomingHusker, I have to ask, what is the difference between "buying" a coach

and "hiring" a coach? I'll tell you what it is. It's the difference between having a

cynical view on the situation and a level headed view on the situation. Of course

money is going to be a part of it! For Christ's sake, you have to PAY the guy!!!

Anyway, I haven't heard much about this guy. His name is pretty sweet ;) jk.

Sounds like he has done good things at Arkansas, but Arkansas is quite different

than NU. I agree with Blackshirt on what NU has to offer, which is quite a bit when you

look at Arkansas.

At this point I would really like to see Bo get the job. I don't know if Gill has what it

takes to do it. Where Bo has proven that he does.

f#*k Nutt... If this guy is our new coach then SP f'd up bad! Huston Nutt is a solid coach... but he has yet to prove he is top notch... Pelini Showed he could take average talent and make them into players... He use the players he had to make a defense that was good if not very good... Nutt has solid numbers and arkansas and has improved the team... BUT HE HAS BEEN THERE FOR 6 YEARS! We as fans here in Nebraska will NOT wait 6 years to have our best record be 9 wins! If SP hires this guy... (which is funny cause I was telling a buddy when Solich was fired that Nutt would be a good guy to go after) he will have blown is opportunity to give us the best coach... Pelini wants the job... He may not have experience but he has done several things this last month that shows to me he would make an excellent coach and I think Husker naiton feels the same way... If Nutt is the next coach (according to ESPN we offered him the job already........) then we have made maybe a slight vertical move in coaching but not near what all of us expected... and that could be why im pissed as hell that he is even being talked to...

f#*k Huston Nutt... f#*k SP... f#*k me!

I definitely don't think the BIG 12 is better than the SEC. Watch what happens on the 4th. The ONLY thing nebraska has that Arkansas doesn't have is tradition and money. And that's a lot.

As a Husker fan living in Arkansas, I might be able to add some information about Houston Nutt.

First, addressing what Nebraska can offer that Arkansas can't, the simple answer is...just about everything. The offer to Nutt is now beyond the monetary level that Arkansas can offer - well over 1 million dollars (Nutt receives about $800,000 currently, which places him in the middle tier of pay for SEC Western Division coaches). Arkansas has already said they can't match the money.

Recruiting - Arkansas has no tradition to offer recruits, and has no major attractions - beaches, major cities, etc. Nebraska has the tradition.

Facilities - While Arkansas AD Frank Broyles is constantly upgrading, Arkansas still lags behind.

Elite status - Nebraska plays to a national stage; Arkansas does not.

Fan Support - Arkansas is, like Nebraska, the only major program in its state. But Arkansans are not nearly as committed...hence the lack of money to offer Nutt. When Arkansas went through a few years of 4 win seasons (before Nutt arrived), the stadiums were not sell-outs. Even now, they aren't always. Depends on the status of the opponent. Not true for Nebraska.

What can Arkansas offer that Nebraska can't? Just one thing - less pressure. That could be a problem if Nutt accepts. For the last three years, Nutt has been criticized for not taking Arkansas to the next level, and for the number of off-the-field problems from athletes. While Nebraska fans are forgiving, they are also demanding - far more so than Arkansas'. Nutt hasn't handled that well - he hasn't lashed out, but it has been clear that he has been hurt. Some of that may be due to the fact that he's Arkansas born and bred, but still...

What are Nutt's strong points?

1. Recruiting - I will say this...he is a tireless and constant recruiter. He has not been as sucessful as he would like due to negative recruiting that resulted from some minor NCAA infractions and some scholarship reductions (all due to actions that occurred before Nutt arrived, I might add).

2. He adapts to the talent. For the last three years, with a quarterback that is a poor passer, Arkansas has been a leader in rushing in the conference and the nation. When Nutt first arrived, he had a passing quarterback, and was a conference leader in passing - at a time when Steve Spurrier was in the conference.

3. A players coach - Players generally love playing for Nutt, and defend him to the death.

4. He has improved every program at which he has been the head coach. In Arkansas' case, he took virutally the same team that had been 4 and 7 the year before (and for the last three years), and immediately won 8 games - and he routinely wins 8 or 9 games while at a school that lacks any of the resources Nebraska has. He's won the SEC Western Division two or three times in 6 years; he hasn't lost to Texas - beaten them twice, in fact; beaten most of the major programs in the SEC - Alabama, Tennessee, etc.

Nutt's downsides? Well, other than the possible thin-skin, there is one potentially huge downside. One of Nutt's assistants is Mike Markeson (sp) - the offensive line coach. While Arkansas has had a good running game the last few years, I worry about Markeson following Nutt to Nebraska - he's been with Nutt at every stop. I don't see good fundementals from the Arkansas line.

Not trying to promote Nutt - I want the best for Nebraska available. Just wanted to provide some information.