Irving Fryer

The question was ask: Was Irving Fryer heavily recruited.

Hi, I'm a first time poster, but have read this board many times. The following information is from Tom Osborne's old book, "More Than Winning." Irving Fryer was recruited by Frank Solich in New Jersey, and he was not heavily recruited. In fact he played TE and didn't catch many passes. Also, Mike Rozier, from New Jersey, was recruited by Solich that same year. Rozier was a wishbone fullback, didn't carry the ball that much, and was not heavily recruited. It wasn't until Rozier didn't qualify academically at NU and went to junior college that he was heavily recruited. But at the point, Rozier appreciated the early attention by NU and remained committed to NU throughout his junior college playing days.

Some fans argue that Solich was a great recruiter because of Rozier, Fryer and even Crouch. I will say he was a better recruiter as an assistant coach. He did have a talent for finding hidden talent, but not one to recruit high profile players, competing against a Blake or a Bush type. As for Crouch, it would have taken a lot to get him out of Nebraska -- a local kid, probably grew up with Husker football and ran an option offense. I believe Solich was a good but not a great recruiter as an assistant coach, but I think he had problems trying to do both as the head guy.

He is a great man, and I wish him the best at Ohio.

The question was ask: Was Irving Fryer heavily recruited.

Hi, I'm a first time poster, but have read this board many times. The following information is from Tom Osborne's old book, "More Than Winning." Irving Fryer was recruited by Frank Solich in New Jersey, and he was not heavily recruited. In fact he played TE and didn't catch many passes. Also, Mike Rozier, from New Jersey, was recruited by Solich that same year. Rozier was a wishbone fullback, didn't carry the ball that much, and was not heavily recruited. It wasn't until Rozier didn't qualify academically at NU and went to junior college that he was heavily recruited. But at the point, Rozier appreciated the early attention by NU and remained committed to NU throughout his junior college playing days.

Some fans argue that Solich was a great recruiter because of Rozier, Fryer and even Crouch. I will say he was a better recruiter as an assistant coach. He did have a talent for finding hidden talent, but not one to recruit high profile players, competing against a Blake or a Bush type. As for Crouch, it would have taken a lot to get him out of Nebraska -- a local kid, probably grew up with Husker football and ran an option offense. I believe Solich was a good but not a great recruiter as an assistant coach, but I think he had problems trying to do both as the head guy.

He is a great man, and I wish him the best at Ohio.

Hey great info man. Thanks a lot for digging that up. Ya gotta wonder what it would be like to have Rivals going back in 1980.....