QB is latest guest

Pro-style quarterback Jon Budmayr, a 6-foot-1, 200-pounder from Marian Central Catholic in Woodstock, Ill., was a surprise visitor to Lincoln over the past weekend.

Rivals.com has not given him any ranking yet, but don't let that fool you.

Budmayr has already picked up the offer from the Huskers and from Illinois, Northwestern, Wisconsin and Arizona, so he will be moving up the rankings ladder.

Back to the visit. Rick Budmayr, his father, and Jon made it into Lincoln last Friday night and left town by car early Sunday.

"We had a good weekend

. . . excellent, outstanding," Rick Budmayr said. "It was quite a weekend. Jon and I both had an opportunity to tour the facilities, and it was very impressive, by the way.

"Then we got to meet with admissions, and we met with the strength guys and nutrition guys. Then Jon went right with coach (Shawn) Watson and sat in on the position meeting and went out and observed the practice session on Friday.

"I should mention that one of the highlights for Jon and I was to go up and meet with coach Osborne," Rick Budmayr added. "That was so impressive, to sit and chat with him. He was so accommodating to make time for us."

Budmayr said his son "is still wide open" and just doing some "fact-finding" tours. Next weekend, it is Arizona, and then they will be seeing Wisconsin, Northwestern and Illinois.

As far as the Huskers: "I can surely tell you that (the visit) reinforced everything we knew about Nebraska. The interest level is certainly very high. No doubt about it. When the offer came through, Jon was very excited about it."

Practice comments: "It was very active in full pads. It was controlled (though). No doubt about it. But it was very lively and a lot of enthusiasm, and they mixed it up. They got it going and exciting."

Nebraska's future: "There is little doubt they are going to get that program right."

Here's what Jon Budmayr had to say just a few days before leaving for Nebraska.

"A couple of weeks ago, they offered me and I try to stay in touch with him (Watson) once a week and build that relationship," Budmayr said about the Husker coach. "He is really a great guy. He is fun to talk to - whether it is just football or anything, really. He is a neat guy."

Most of his other scholarship offers are close to his home in Illinois, so he was asked if that might give those schools an advantage.

"Not so much," he said. "The distance from home isn't playing that much in where I'm going to decide to go. I will go farther away from home if it is the right fit.

"As of right now, I'm open to any school. Obviously, those schools that have offered are on top of my list, but I'm pretty open to anything right now.

"I just want to get to know each school and get a chance to visit each school and get a feel for what their environment is. Once I find that school I love and I feel it is the right fit, that is when I will decide."

Budmayr is trying to get more familiar with Boston College, UCLA, Tennessee, Notre Dame and Stanford. Those five have recently shown increased interest in him, and he is trying to build a relationship with them, too. He is not sure where they are in the process of possibly offering him a scholarship.

"It is really exciting," he said. "I'm thankful for it. I'm just really enjoying the process right now, and I'm taking it one day at a time."

Budmayr is following a route to see what school fits him the best, and I feel that Nebraska is definitely still in the picture. Stay tuned on him.

Link