Strowbridge Transferring?

Team banquet

More than 300 people attended Nebraska's annual end-of-season team banquet Wednedsday night in Lincoln.

Senior Aleks Maric was honored with the Jack Moore Award, given annually to Nebraska's most outstanding player. He was one of two people to receive a standing ovation. The other was Doc Sadler. (Actually, players initiated a third standing O for the student managers).

Missing from the banquet were Shang Ping and Jay-R Strowbridge. Ping is transferring, and Strowbridge, from what I've gathered from talking with a few different people, is considering transferring.

Strowbridge transferring

Doc Sadler has announced that sophomore guard Jay-R Strowbridge is transferring.

I just talked to Jay-R, who said family issues are the primary reason he's leaving. He said he had a cousin who was murdered Christmas night in Huntsville, Ala. (Jay-R is from Ardmore).

"After that I came here to practice and for games and tried to continue going on, and that's been taking a toll on me," he said. "That's been pretty much it."

Jay-R told me he's looking to play at a school closer to home, but that he didn't have any favorites or main schools in mind.

I asked him if he was happy at Nebraska.

"I was happy. It had its ups and downs. I love the University of Nebraska. I love the academics, the fans here, everything about the University of Nebraska."

I also asked if concerned over possible lack of playing time (with Roburt Sallie coming in next season) was a factor.

"No sir. I wasn't really concerned about next year. I was more focused about what I had to do this year and be the best teammate I could be. There wasn't any concern about next year."

Strowbridge's departure leaves Nebraska with one open scholarship for 2008-09. The first day of the spring signing period is Wednesday, and Doc Sadler is searching for a post player to help replace departed senior Aleks Maric.

Strowbridge is the second player this season to announce he's transferring. Shang Ping, who played one season with Nebraska, said last week he's leaving the program.

Eight players have left the program in Sadler's two seasons. Sadler said there is "a slim chance" the latest departure could affect Nebraska's Academic Performance Ratings index, depending on Strowbridge's academic standing when he leaves.

"He'll do something," Sadler said. "He won't hurt us."

Link

Edited by Husker_Power

I am actually not liking this, I think he could have contributed more, espically when Cookie was out, but for that reason I dont blame him. I wish he would stick aroung exspecially if Doc hasn't found another recuirt because then NU will have 1 possibly 2 (in Niemann isn't elgible) spots basically wasted. I know it is hard to recurit to NU for basketball but when you see a Beasly and Walker go to K-state it is hard not to get discouraged when Doc can't fill up all the schollys. Don't get me wrong I think Doc is doing a great job with only this little set back (and his 45 secs left in the first half timeouts in every game)

On a sidenote Maric finished as the 5th rated center in Rivals power rankings

I am actually not liking this, I think he could have contributed more, espically when Cookie was out, but for that reason I dont blame him. I wish he would stick aroung exspecially if Doc hasn't found another recuirt because then NU will have 1 possibly 2 (in Niemann isn't elgible) spots basically wasted. I know it is hard to recurit to NU for basketball but when you see a Beasly and Walker go to K-state it is hard not to get discouraged when Doc can't fill up all the schollys. Don't get me wrong I think Doc is doing a great job with only this little set back (and his 45 secs left in the first half timeouts in every game)

On a sidenote Maric finished as the 5th rated center in Rivals power rankings

Don't forget that Doc is out recruiting right now too...and don't forget this guy:

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/vie...mp;pr_key=79252

From LJS Blog

Sophomore guard Jay-R Strowbridge is transferring.

I just talked to Jay-R, who said family issues are the primary reason he's leaving. He said he had a cousin who was murdered Christmas night in Huntsville, Ala. (Jay-R is from Ardmore).

"After that I came here to practice and for games and tried to continue going on, and that’s been taking a toll on me," he said. "That’s been pretty much it.”

Jay-R told me he's looking to play at a school closer to home, but that he didn't have any favorites or main schools in mind.

I asked him if he was happy at Nebraska.

"I was happy. It had its ups and downs. I love the University of Nebraska. I love the academics, the fans here, everything about the University of Nebraska."

I also asked if concerned over possible lack of playing time (with Roburt Sallie coming in next season) was a factor.

"No sir. I wasn't really concerned about next year. I was more focused about what I had to do this year and be the best teammate I could be. There wasn’t any concern about next year.”

Strowbridge’s departure leaves Nebraska with one open scholarship for 2008-09. The first day of the spring signing period is Wednesday, and Doc Sadler is searching for a post player to help replace departed senior Aleks Maric.

Strowbridge is the second player this season to announce he’s transferring. Shang Ping, who played one season with Nebraska, said last week he’s leaving the program.

Eight players have left the program in Sadler’s two seasons. Sadler said there is “a slim chance” the latest departure could affect Nebraska’s Academic Performance Ratings index, depending on Strowbridge’s academic standing when he leaves.

“He’ll do something,” Sadler said. “He won’t hurt us.”