Trev Alberts on why he chose UNL

As a linebacker, when you were getting recruited, who was the most important person to you - the Linebackers Coach, the Defensive Coordinator, or the Head Coach?

As a linebacker, when you were getting recruited, who was the most important person to you - the Linebackers Coach, the Defensive Coordinator, or the Head Coach? - K., Florida

For me it was the head coach.

I sort of went through an interesting scenario when I was being recruited because John Melton, the linebackers coach at Nebraska when I was in high school, suffered a heart attack right after I signed. He retired. It was then that Kevin Steele was hired to be the inside linebackers coach, but I never gave my decision a second thought. I wasn't going to Nebraska to play for John Melton, that wasn't why I chose to go there. I wasn't going to play for Kevin Steele. I was going to Nebraska to play for Tom Osborne. That's just the way it was.

I think every player is different. I often hear analyst say you shouldn't go to a school for the coach and that you should go because it's USC or Michigan or whoever. I have to tell you that I think that's short sighted because I was a huge Iowa fan growing up, but it was Tom Osborne alone who changed my mind about where to go to school. It wasn't that the communications or journalism school was better at Nebraska than Iowa's. It was one person who I felt comfortable with the overall culture and direction of Nebraska.

I do think that kids make choices based on the head coach; his personality, how he treats people, how he governs. That's really, really important. That's why I feel strongly about coaches being allowed to maneuver, to change jobs, make commitments to kids and then leave, but face no repercussions. Yet a student-athlete who goes to a particular school because of a relationship with a head coach and then that head coach leaves, that student-athlete deserves the ability to this one time go wherever they please without having to sit out a year.

You ever wonder why Switzer calls him "Treeve"?