solich gets

Benard

Former Nebraska Football Coach Frank Solich has hunted some old recruiting grounds to bring Josh Leuck to Ohio University.

Josh Leuck

The Omaha Westside lineman said he planned to sign Wednesday with Ohio University, the NCAA Division I-A school where Solich became head coach in December.

Leuck was impressed by the school and coaching staff after a weekend visit. It was only after returning from Athens, Ohio, that he learned the Bobcats have had just two winning seasons since 1982.

"I think some things are going to happen," Leuck said Tuesday. "The players up there are excited, the town's excited, the president's behind it . . . . everybody's behind them 100 percent."

Leuck, a 6-foot-31/2, 275-pounder, talked mostly with Jimmy Burrow and Carl Pelini after Ohio first started pursuing him two weeks ago. Both Bobcat defensive assistants also formerly served on Solich staffs at NU.

Leuck is the first player from Nebraska to commit to Solich in his new position, although others have expressed interest.

"I wouldn't say it's going to be a hotbed for them," Westside Coach Marty Kauffman said, "but I think they'll always keep a connection here."

Leuck was a first-team All-Nebraska offensive lineman in 2004 and the Metro Conference's defensive lineman of the year in 2003. He runs the 40-yard dash in 4.9 seconds and has a 321/2-inch vertical jump.

"They're recruiting him as a defensive player," Kauffman said. "Right now they're thinking about playing him at end, but down the road he can be a 300-pounder and maybe be a fast player inside.

"I think he can really help them. His speed is going to be a real benefit."

Nebraska asked Leuck to walk on, and several Division I-AA and Division II schools offered scholarships. Burrow, formerly at North Dakota State, and Pelini, formerly at Minnesota State-Mankato, both had him on their recruiting lists before they changed jobs.

Leuck said he was likely headed for Northwest Missouri State until Ohio made its pitch.

"I was a little surprised," Leuck said. "I almost wasn't going to go, and now I'm glad I did."

In addition to Burrow and Pelini, Solich's staff at Ohio includes former Nebraska players Gerry Gdowski and Keven Lightner, former NU Assistant Coach Tim Albin, former Hastings College Head Coach Ross Els and former UNO Assistant Coach Fred Reed.

link