Only 3 Neb. boys: see TO in '94

kramer

The whining from some will come tomorrow:

[Waaah.] Callahan doesn't give enough scholarships to our Nebraska boys.

1) Three Nebraskans are in the Class of 2005: TE/DE Zach Potter, Athlete/DB Robert Rands, LB Jeff Souder (thought to be greyshirting and go into the '06 class).

2) Is that all of the Division I-A talent in the state?

Well, all that we wanted. Not many other Division I-A schools were interested either...

--The exceptions: (1) 3-Star TE Nate Prater (Omaha Central) was not offered by NU. His offers were from KU, ISU and KSU. He will sign with KSU. (2) 3-Star FB Jake Behrens. Nebraska offered invited walk-on status only. He will sign with Colorado. (3) 2-Star OL Tyler Peterson of Lincoln SE goes to Wake Forest. (4) 2-Star TE Danny Dutmer of York goes to Wyoming.

--UN-O, UN-K, Chadron, Minnestota State, Illinois State will sign some players---but none with Division I-A offers.

That's the essence of it.

3) The year Osborne signed only three Nebraskans: 1994

--Ted Butler, OL, Lincoln. (Ted never lettered at Nebraska.)

--Travis Toline, LB, Wahoo. (Travis lettered for 4 years.)

--Brandt Wade, OL, Springfield (Brandt lettered for 4 years).

The bottom line: Some years there just isn't much in-state Division I-A talent---at least not at the positions where you need it. Tom thought that in '94. Callahan in '05

Good point Kramer. I would like to see a lot of Nebraska boys playing for the Huskers as well, but it doesn't seem to be there this year. Maybe some of these guys will prove the Huskers wrong by not offering scholarships, maybe they won't. Also agree with you there Oregon.

1) Three Nebraskans are in the Class of 2005: TE/DE Zach Potter, Athlete/DB Robert Rands, LB Jeff Souder (thought to be greyshirting and go into the '06 class).

Well, all that we wanted. Not many other Division I-A schools were interested either...

--The exceptions: (1) 3-Star TE Nate Prater (Omaha Central) was not offered by NU. His offers were from KU, ISU and KSU. He will sign with KSU. (2) 3-Star FB Jake Behrens. Nebraska offered invited walk-on status only. He will sign with Colorado. (3) 2-Star OL Tyler Peterson of Lincoln SE goes to Wake Forest. (4) 2-Star TE Danny Dutmer of York goes to Wyoming.

--UN-O, UN-K, Chadron, Minnestota State, Illinois State will sign some players---but none with Division I-A offers.

The bottom line: Some years there just isn't much in-state Division I-A talent---at least not at the positions where you need it. Tom thought that in '94. Callahan in '05

While your points may be correct and justified, there are a couple of minor details that you left out.

1. callahan doesnt have the ability or credentials to wash TO's feet, let alone lead this team, so comparisons between the 2 are ridiculous at best.

2. callahan has already shown his pre-conceived disdain for Nebraska kids by cutting their playing time and by dismantling the once great walk on program.

While your points may be correct and justified, there are a couple of minor details that you left out.

1. callahan doesnt have the ability or credentials to wash TO's feet, let alone lead this team, so comparisons between the 2 are ridiculous at best.

2. callahan has already shown his pre-conceived disdain for Nebraska kids by cutting their playing time and by dismantling the once great walk on program.

Look as much as you want to think, Nebraska High School football sucks. There at the bottom of the football chain. Bottom 5 to 10 states

Check this class out:

Was this a successful class? It looks like only one made it to the NFL (Hollowell).

Willie Amos

Jake Andersen

Terrell Butler

Thunder Collins

Ira Cooper

Sandro DeAngelis

Mike Erickson

M.J. Flaum (not sure how much he played)

T.J. Hollowell,

Lanny Hopkins

Steve Kriewald

Lornell McPherson

Ross Pilkington

Nick Povendo

Benard Thomas,

Ben Zajicek,

Look as much as you want to think, Nebraska High School football sucks. There at the bottom of the football chain. Bottom 5 to 10 states

That is your opinion and you are entitled to it, no matter how wrong it is.

NE kids have gone on to do quite well in college football, numerous AA, Lombardi trophies, 3 Heisman trophies, more Outlands than you count. Oh, and theve produced some NFL hall of famers, too.

While they may not be able to compete w/ CA, TX, and some of the more talent rich states, to say that NE kids suck is complete idiocy.

I would give anything to swap one Season of Oregon HS Football to see any Nebraska HS football teams play.

Call me a die hard, I was hooked at age 10 when my parents traveled all the way down to watch NU play UCLA ( 1000 miles, believe it was 72' and NU lost 17-14 ). Didn't matter, all I cared about was I felt like I was part of something special up in that sea of red. Still feel the same way today, the names, faces and formations may change but the N on the helmet will always be the same! :)

I should have said teams, instead of players. You'll have a player here or there do well, but the talent pool is so low in Nebraska. Oregon Husker, I have no idea what HS football is like out west. TX, Fl, and CA are way ahead of everyone. Ohio , PA Georgia, LA, NJ, Iowa, there top teams would absolutely destroy Millard West in it's best years. Or Lincoln Southeast whomever. I grew up in Jersey where entire starting offenses were sent off to D-1 and Ivy league schools..

Most people dont realize why the colleges recruit more in certain areas. Where I live in So Cal. there are more people in this county than in all of NE. Just by population alone the odds that there are more good people playing out here is justified by numbers. If NE had 20000000 people then they would naturally have a larger base of talent to draw from.

Just dont forget what else comes with that. More smog, crime, gridlock, etc.

NEBRASKA truly is the good life. I miss it daily. So I get back there whenever I can.

GBR

:horns2

I believe they were left out because that isn't the point of the discussion. But I digress.

I believe Callahan showed more distain for an extremely bloated walk on program. The roster was 186 in 1999. If you ask me, that's waaaay to many kids. I use that year because that was the most out of the last, probably 10 years. It varies anywhere from there to 120's. Only 85, max, of those kids are on scholarship.

Here are some other roster sizes:

--2000: 155

--2001: 149

--2002: 157

--2003: 147

--2004: 124

[--2005: ~119 or so]

If he has such a blind hate for all Nebraska kids, there would be none left on the team. Period After all, if he hates them so much he coudn't stand to have them on his team. Obviously that's not true. I have no doubt that when kids come out of NE with what Callahan is looking for (ie, Potter, Rands, Souder just for examples from this year) he will recruit them just as hard as any other kid from any other state.

What's the excuse for playing Ruud so much? Did his playing time get cut? He's a Nebraska boy, right?

I think BC did a hell of a job keeping the top talent here this year. Potter was looking at ND! Is Stoops a terrible coach because he let Dillard and Roark get away? Don't think so. How about Pete Carroll letting the #1 RB in the state, in the same CITY, get away? Stupid Carroll just doesn't appreciate the California talent?