What if the conferences had aligned differently?

CU would have not fared well in the PAc 10. Their closest road game would have been almost 900 miles... that would suck.

Nebraska was not an awful fit fo the Big10 a little closer...

Not sure I am buying that things were going to explode, CU was thinking of Leaving, but not sure NU was very seriously considering it...

The most serious talk involved CU, but as a ripple effect I seem to remember MU talking with Big Can't count conference, and OU looking at either Pac 10 or SWC to replace Ark who jumped to SEC. NU was going to be left out, Big Can't count didn't want us, Pac 10 was too far - there was local "concern" that NU was going to be independent or join the "gasp" WAC. Which spurred NU to help push for the "merge of the B8 and SWC"

Actually it would have potentially been worse. I can somewhat stand sharing the title with Mythigan becuase their fan's aren't complete asses and I know we would have killed them had we played.

BUT can you imagine if we were in the B10 and had to split the title with someone like say K-State (they were also undefeated that year other than a loss to us) and if we were in the B10 and played in the rose bowl that year we'd be hearing from the pu&&y cats that they would have beaten Nebraska in 1997 but we were to scared to play them, even though they'd have no shot at it realistically.

I can handle a Mythigan fan thumping their chest now and again, I think I'd eventually succumb to going off on a Kitty Cat fan eventually if they claimed half the title that year and brought it up constantly like they do everything else in their little fantasy land.

I see a lot of different college football fans out here in the valley (Everybody's from somewhere else), but have NEVER come across a Michigan fan that wasn't a complete ass..Most of the other Big-10 fans are at least Half-assed.

The KSU fan I saw out here wasn't too bad..Just a little slow.

i didn't think the wac existed at that time? i thought it was the mountain west we were thinking of?

i didn't think the wac existed at that time? i thought it was the mountain west we were thinking of?

The WAC has been around for a long time. Arizona and ASU were in it before they went to Pac 8. WAC champion played in the Fiesta Bowl - ASU beat Osbourne in the '70's

The WAC has been around for a long time. Arizona and ASU were in it before they went to Pac 8. WAC champion played in the Fiesta Bowl - ASU beat Osbourne in the '70's

Western Athletic Conference

The Western Athletic Conference (commonly referred to as the WAC, pronounced "wack") was formed on July 27, 1962, making it the sixth oldest of the 11 college athletic conferences currently participating in the NCAA's Division I Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS; formerly Division I-A). The WAC covers a broad expanse of the Western United States, with member institutions located in California, Hawaii, Idaho, Louisiana, Nevada, New Mexico, and Utah.

Charter members:

University of Arizona (withdrew June 30, 1978 to join the Pacific-10 Conference)

Arizona State University (withdrew June 30, 1978 to join the Pacific-10 Conference)

Brigham Young University (withdrew June 30, 1999 to form the Mountain West Conference)

University of New Mexico (withdrew June 30, 1999 to form the Mountain West Conference)

University of Utah (withdrew June 30, 1999 to form the Mountain West Conference)

University of Wyoming (withdrew June 30, 1999 to form the Mountain West Conference)

In 1996, the demise of the scandal-plagued Southwest Conference set off a chain reaction that affected conferences nationwide and the WAC was no exception. Rice, TCU, and SMU from the disbanded SWC were admitted into the WAC, along with San José State and UNLV from the Big West Conference as well as Tulsa from the Missouri Valley Conference to bring WAC membership to sixteen universities in two divisions.