QB Harrison Beck

In a recent article on Rivals.com he was asked about redshirting. Here's his response:

Are you planning to redshirt? "The coaches haven't said anything about it. All they've told me is that it's going to be an open competition and whoever performs the best will get the job. I hope that I can show them that I'm capable."

Is it in the Team's best interested to bring Harrison along slowly and redshirt him or is he such an asset that NU needs him immidiately?

In a recent article on Rivals.com he was asked about redshirting. Here's his response:

Are you planning to redshirt? "The coaches haven't said anything about it. All they've told me is that it's going to be an open competition and whoever performs the best will get the job. I hope that I can show them that I'm capable."

Is it in the Team's best interested to bring Harrison along slowly and redshirt him or is he such an asset that NU needs him immidiately?

Although I think it is a good idea for him to redshirt, I think whoever performs best will get the spot. With all the players we have vying for the QB position and the players that have more experience than Beck at this point (namely Dailey and Taylor), I don't see Beck getting to play in his frosh year. Thus he redshirts. I guess what I am getting at is that I think we have enough QB's that Beck won't have to play this year thus he, for lack of a better word, "naturally" redshirts.

But hey, I could be wrong and he could be the man in the fall. But I don't see it that way. Now with the others competing for the position. As long as no one get's an organ removed this year again. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Callahan: No plans to redshirt Beck

Nebraska football coach Bill Callahan said Wednesday he'll enter spring practice with an open mind regarding competition for the starting quarterback job. Junior Joe Dailey, the starter last season, retains that role, but will be pushed by junior college transfer Zac Taylor and returners Jordan Adams, Beau Davis and Joey Ganz, Callahan said.
I wouldn't, because then you waste a year and Beck only has 2 to start (whoever starts this year will start next year unless they just do horrible). Have him compete, if he doesn't win the spot, then redshirt him and start him as a RS Soph.

That is true, But I don't think Harrison will wait that long to play. That is two years and he wants to play right now. It wll be tough. I think he could have the starting job by the end of this year if he is given the chance.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I think that if Taylor is the clear number 1 and looks good, unless Beck walks in a totally wows everyone, he will redshirt. Let the bettle begin next year.

Don't think we see Beck redshirt. We aren't deep at QB, and Beck will probably walk into camp this summer being the most talented QB we have but will still be raw and will not have the command of the playbook the other kids have. I think there's more of a chance we win the Big XII this year than there is of Beck redshirting.

I think that if Taylor is the clear number 1 and looks good, unless Beck walks in a totally wows everyone, he will redshirt. Let the bettle begin next year.

Don't think we see Beck redshirt. We aren't deep at QB, and Beck will probably walk into camp this summer being the most talented QB we have but will still be raw and will not have the command of the playbook the other kids have. I think there's more of a chance we win the Big XII this year than there is of Beck redshirting.

Especially after the Spring Game, it's pretty obvious Beck can't redshirt. WE have no depth at all. With Dailey crying to the media and the other two just simply not that good, Beck needs to be playing this fall. Not starting, but participating

Especially after the Spring Game, it's pretty obvious Beck can't redshirt. WE have no depth at all. With Dailey crying to the media and the other two just simply not that good, Beck needs to be playing this fall. Not starting, but participating

I agree, with Dailey leaving, beck will step in and battle for the starting job. What a fall this is shaping up to be!!!!! tHIS IS GOING TO BE AWESOME.

• 2 weeks later...

i think everybody is getting ahead of themselves. like someone said earlier we havent even seen him take a snap yet. but since the spring game we have seen taylor step up and do a pretty good job with his timing and accuracy, which is exactly what WCO is, timing and accuracy. im pretty sold on taylor's abilities so far because he has more experience in the collegiate ranks. im thinkin if beck is as great a player as he is hyped up to be he will be starting soon enough, maybe even his sophomore season.

he surely wont redshirt, thats for sure