Huskers on rise?

Do you think Nebraska can right the ship with Bo Pelini at the helm? In my opinion, Nebraska has good athletes on defense that Pelini can coach to effectiveness. And I believe that (quarterback) Joe Ganz was no fluke last year and will lead a very good offense with a great running game. The receiving corps is young but talented, and the offensive line could be among the deepest and most talented in the country. I go with 10 wins, including a bowl victory. What are your thoughts?

— Bryan in Nebraska

-----

The Huskers will be better than last season's 5-7. But I'm not as optimistic as you.

Bo Pelini has fans thinking about a quick turnaround.

Offensively, the Huskers are fine. They were last season, too. Yeah, there was a stretch in which they scored 14 or fewer points in three consecutive games, but they also scored at least 31 points in seven games. And when Ganz started the last three games, he threw 15 touchdown passes and threw for more than 400 yards in each game.

Marlon Lucky is a good running back who could get into the Heisman Trophy discussion, and the line is indeed solid. But the Huskers lack a proven big-play receiver. Still, offense isn't the issue. Defense is.

Nebraska's defense was historically inept last season, and the level of improvement there will determine the Huskers' success.

Pelini has coached top-20 defensive units in each of his five seasons as a college defensive coordinator, and his defensive expertise and influence certainly will make a difference.

But we all know the saying that "Jimmys and Joes beat X's and O's" and we'll have to see whether the Huskers have the defensive personnel to make an enormous difference. A better scheme and more demanding coach can only take you so far.

Nebraska's defensive line returns intact, but that same line was woeful in 2007. Also, the Huskers ranked next-to-last in the nation in forcing turnovers last season, so that stat has to improve.

Furthermore, Nebraska's schedule is no picnic. You're predicting 10 victories, and that may be right. But with Virginia Tech, Missouri, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Kansas and Colorado on the schedule, seven regular-season victories would appear more realistic.

I'll give the Huskers the benefit of the doubt and say they'll pull at least one upset and call for an 8-4 finish in 2008, which I believe most Nebraska fans would welcome as a definite sign of progress

Do you think Nebraska can right the ship with Bo Pelini at the helm? In my opinion, Nebraska has good athletes on defense that Pelini can coach to effectiveness. And I believe that (quarterback) Joe Ganz was no fluke last year and will lead a very good offense with a great running game. The receiving corps is young but talented, and the offensive line could be among the deepest and most talented in the country. I go with 10 wins, including a bowl victory. What are your thoughts?

— Bryan in Nebraska

-----

The Huskers will be better than last season's 5-7. But I'm not as optimistic as you.

Bo Pelini has fans thinking about a quick turnaround.

Offensively, the Huskers are fine. They were last season, too. Yeah, there was a stretch in which they scored 14 or fewer points in three consecutive games, but they also scored at least 31 points in seven games. And when Ganz started the last three games, he threw 15 touchdown passes and threw for more than 400 yards in each game.

Marlon Lucky is a good running back who could get into the Heisman Trophy discussion, and the line is indeed solid. But the Huskers lack a proven big-play receiver. Still, offense isn't the issue. Defense is.

Nebraska's defense was historically inept last season, and the level of improvement there will determine the Huskers' success.

Pelini has coached top-20 defensive units in each of his five seasons as a college defensive coordinator, and his defensive expertise and influence certainly will make a difference.

But we all know the saying that "Jimmys and Joes beat X's and O's" and we'll have to see whether the Huskers have the defensive personnel to make an enormous difference. A better scheme and more demanding coach can only take you so far.

Nebraska's defensive line returns intact, but that same line was woeful in 2007. Also, the Huskers ranked next-to-last in the nation in forcing turnovers last season, so that stat has to improve.

Furthermore, Nebraska's schedule is no picnic. You're predicting 10 victories, and that may be right. But with Virginia Tech, Missouri, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Kansas and Colorado on the schedule, seven regular-season victories would appear more realistic.

I'll give the Huskers the benefit of the doubt and say they'll pull at least one upset and call for an 8-4 finish in 2008, which I believe most Nebraska fans would welcome as a definite sign of progress

Well, I'm out here living in MA and look what happened to the Celtics in just one year: they were the worst team in the league last year and this year they are going to the finals. So yes, teams can be turned around very quickly, but in the Celtics case it was more a matter of adding some great players than a change in coaching.

So, you can either add great players, a great coach, or both. NE has added a great coach!

Has NE added any great new players? No, in fact, everyone knows that the D will be a real concern with the losses of LBs and CBs. However, most of the guys coming in to replace them as starters, Thenarse, Assante, etc. have some good experience and are probably better players than the ones they are replacing. I expect Dillard to really step up this year into a leadership role, but LB will probably still be the area of primary concern. It will be interesting to see what Cody Glenn does, sure he is very athletic, but he's learning a whole new position, therefore I will be surprised if he turns out to be a significant player there. Aren't they putting Culbert back on the D side as well?

But look at it this way: this year's D almost HAS to be better than last year's(which is not saying much), it just HAS to be! But I will attribute this to the addition of BO as the coach--one of the best in the biz--and am actuallly very excited to see how they play. Who knows, we may even see a shutout or two(think SJSU or NMSU)--a rare thing indeed in CFB today.

And that reminds me, I think Callahan's and 'that DC guy's' main problems were a tendency to be too convoluted in their schemes, they weren't the greatest on field play callers, and it is clear that they pretty much sucked as motivators. Uh, Bo solves all those problems--especially the motivation part--though there might be a slight learning curve for him in the HC role. I'm wondering if Watson will be calling the plays on the O side? I hope he does, I have more faith in him than Callahan and probably BO too, at this point.

I think NE will be in every game, and think our O can probably play with about anybody. Neither Swift nor Peterson are no Michael Crabtree, but they are very good and reliable receivers. But what's the word on Niles Paul? One would think he'd be primed and ready to make a difference next year. Menelik Holt should also be a pleasant surprise, he sort of reminded me of Purify there toward the end, but don't quote me on that. Our running attack should be excellent--an emphasis--and I hope to see Mendoza on the field too, maybe in some sort of 'wingback' capacity.

All that being said, I see Big Red winning about 8 regular season games. KU will probably be our big 'upset' game, we should be able to hold them below 40 points this year(Joey DID score 39 on them last year in his 1st start)...lol. If the D goes above and beyond, maybe 9-10 V's are not out of the question.

I'm looking forward to it! :restore

• 3 weeks later...