Stewart Mandel on the Huskers downfall

Frank Solich's service academy recruting brought NU down, but Calahan destroyed the Big Red aura and now Bo has to build from scratch.

I agree with you up to where you say Bo has to build it from scratch. We were devastated by the Solich and Callahan eras, but Bo does not have to build from scratch. We still have first class facilities, tradition and a strongly committed fan base. Those are the first steps of building a program that is a national powerhouse, which many (perhaps most) division 1 programs find to be insurmountable hurdles.

Frank Solich's service academy recruting brought NU down, but Calahan destroyed the Big Red aura and now Bo has to build from scratch.

I agree with you up to where you say Bo has to build it from scratch. We were devastated by the Solich and Callahan eras, but Bo does not have to build from scratch. We still have first class facilities, tradition and a strongly committed fan base. Those are the first steps of building a program that is a national powerhouse, which many (perhaps most) division 1 programs find to be insurmountable hurdles.

Great points. We sometimes in all this doom and gloom (and I am a doom and gloomer, at least at the moment) forget the great facilities, fan base, and history. And, might I add, there is a magic about Nebraska --- of the eight states in which I have lived, and in the five universities of which I have been part, Nebraska and the University of Nebraska are simply special --- and I can't fully articulate necessariliy why. Yet, Nebraska and NU are great places and Bo has that as a basis to draw from.