wrestling nu v osu

So, NU lost.... that sucks

What a great match last night !!!! It was fun to watch

For those who didn't get a chance to watch, OSU won with a 19-18 score, but after the duel, it was discovered that there was a scoring error in the third to last match...

NU's Pascoe won the match by 7 points, giving Nebraska "3 team" points

In actuallity (sp), he should have won by 8 points (scoring error by head table). An 8 point win would have given NU "4 team" points

With the 4 team points by Pascoe, the final score would have been 19-19....and NU held the "tie-breaker", meaning we finally beat those guys from OSU....it would have been NU's first win over OSU in Lincoln since 1921....

Actually Nebraska won the dual, but a scoring error, that apparently is uncorrectable after the match is over cost the Huskers....Any way, great job by Caoch Mannining and the NU wrestlers.....Cudos to the crowd....sounded awesome on tv. :cheers

Actually, it wasn't an error at the scorers table. What was up for debate was whether the final stalling call that occured with about 10 seconds left should have resulted in another point. The ref didn't award the point and Nebraska appealed. Just like most appeals, it was denied.

It was an amazing contest. Going in OSU was ranked #1 and Nebraska was ranked #6. I think the Huskers may actually move up after that match. I think the most amazing thing is the Husker's heavyweight (sorry, can't remember his name) was able to avoid being pinned by Mocco. Mocco is a beast and actually had him to near fall a couple times and just couldn't finish it off.

I know the OSU team wasn't happy with their performance, but a lot of credit for that goes to the Huskers.

David Harrell - Pokes

dwh

So, NU lost.... that sucks

What a great match last night !!!! It was fun to watch

For those who didn't get a chance to watch, OSU won with a 19-18 score, but after the duel, it was discovered that there was a scoring error in the third to last match...

NU's Pascoe won the match by 7 points, giving Nebraska "3 team" points

In actuallity (sp), he should have won by 8 points (scoring error by head table). An 8 point win would have given NU "4 team" points

With the 4 team points by Pascoe, the final score would have been 19-19....and NU held the "tie-breaker", meaning we finally beat those guys from OSU....it would have been NU's first win over OSU in Lincoln since 1921....

Actually Nebraska won the dual, but a scoring error, that apparently is uncorrectable after the match is over cost the Huskers....Any way, great job by Caoch Mannining and the NU wrestlers.....Cudos to the crowd....sounded awesome on tv. :cheers

How can such a major decision be screwed up so bad??

Actually, it isn't such a big deal. The NCAA knows that it is common for refs to judge stalling more strictly in the last few seconds of a match than throughout the rest of the time. This is so much the case that they have a sub-rule to handle the situation and to try and force the refs to be consistent.

6.10g. Stalling in the final 15 to 20 seconds of a match. With the increased excitement among coaches, referees and spectators during the closing seconds

of many matches, stalling penalties often are called unjustly and unfairly. These frequently are penalties that would not be called during comparable action earlier in the match. Stalling should be called consistently through the match. A stalling warning or penalty should be called during the concluding moments of a match only when stalling unquestionably is occurring.

I rewatched the match in question, and I can see where it could go either way, but when you put that rule into account and it pretty much has to go to OSU. There were a lot of occasions where there were no stalling calls made even though a longer stalling amount of time than the one in question. Really this doesn't help/hurt either program. Even a loss to Nebraska wouldn't have moved OSU from #1 and Nebraska will probably still climb or at least not be hurt by the loss.

I'm glad to see that the Huskers went and beat OU yesterday though. Sounds like it was another very tough meet.

David Harrell - Pokes

dwh

Actually, it wasn't an error at the scorers table. What was up for debate was whether the final stalling call that occured with about 10 seconds left should have resulted in another point. The ref didn't award the point and Nebraska appealed. Just like most appeals, it was denied.

It was an amazing contest. Going in OSU was ranked #1 and Nebraska was ranked #6. I think the Huskers may actually move up after that match. I think the most amazing thing is the Husker's heavyweight (sorry, can't remember his name) was able to avoid being pinned by Mocco. Mocco is a beast and actually had him to near fall a couple times and just couldn't finish it off.

I know the OSU team wasn't happy with their performance, but a lot of credit for that goes to the Huskers.

David Harrell - Pokes

dwh

Welcome aboard Pokes

I am not trying to argue with ya, but are you sure about the appeal?

My understanding from watching the match and the post-match appeal and reading the articles....is that the final stalling call should have resulted in a "2-point" call for Nebraska..... Penalty points are cummulative during the match and the OSU had locked his hands (1pt) and then was called for stalling (1pt) and then called for stalling again....in which 1 pt was awarded, but because it was the 3rd penalty point, should have been a "2 point award".......

I am a wrestler, wrestling coach and wrestling official.... I truly respect everything that OSU has done for Big 8 / Big 12 wrestling....they are one of the best programs of recent time.... Coach Smith is a stud and so are many of the wrestlers... I was happy to see Nebraska compete the way they did....Coach Manning has this program headed in the right direction

It is nice to see a Big 12 team on top....anybody but that fu$%ing Iowa...

By the way, even if Nebraska was awarded the proper points, the dual would have ended in a tie...... I reported in an earlier post that NU held the tie-breaker...This rule was changed this year, and tie-breakers only go into effect during "team dual tourneys" not during regular duals.

You are right that it would have been a 2 point award. But the basic point is still the same. It would have been a major decision instead of just a victory.

But I'm 99.9% sure of the appeal being pretty much as I wrote it.

You may be right on the tie-breaker thing. I really can't say for certain. What I do know is that the announcers kept saying that the Huskers had the tie-breaker and would win unless Mocco had a major decision or better.

I'm really just starting to get into wrestling. Having CSTV is great as I get to watch quite a bit of it on there. I just wish the Big 12 would step up and force one of the sports stations to carry more Big 12 sports like college baseball, wrestling, etc.

David Harrell - Pokes

dwh