Slauson coming out as Leader

LJS

Continuing the offensive line blog pattern (this would be three in a row, right?), Nebraska senior right guard Matt Slauson apparently lit up a few defenders last week.

The offensive coaches compile video clips of great-effort plays, and "(Friday) was a Slauson highlight reel," said Husker center Jacob Hickman. "He had like eight of them. Matt's coming out as a leader for the whole team, setting a good example."

What would a blog be without some Ricky Henry praise of some sort?

"I'll tell you, Ricky Henry is on (the highlight reel) all of the time," Hickman said. "He's got a heck of a motor, the likes of which I've never seen. He goes 110 percent. He just flies around. Sometimes he's not going in the right direction, but he's always going."

Some more info:

So, how does a Nebraska football player stay motivated during the dog days of preseason camp?

Well, you can create informal competitions in practice, Matt Slauson said. For instance, the o-linemen got together Saturday and had a pancake competition. How many defenders can you knock down? The tight ends got involved. Even the fullbacks.

"I think Ricky Henry won," said Slauson, the senior right guard, noting he was one or two pancakes behind Henry.

"Everybody was hunting," Slauson said. "That's a way to motivate guys."

What goes through Slauson's mind as he watches Henry, a transfer from North Dakota State College of Science by way of Omaha Burke.

"No regard for his body or anyone else's," Slauson said. "It's completely inspirational to watch.

"He has no idea what the plays are. He has no idea how to step. But he just goes out there and plays with everything he's got. If he goes the wrong way, he's going to find somebody to hit. And that affects the rest of the offense, because everybody sees that and gets all pumped."

Some more info:

So, how does a Nebraska football player stay motivated during the dog days of preseason camp?

Well, you can create informal competitions in practice, Matt Slauson said.

Word on the street is this was the secret to KU's success last year. Except instead of being player driven, it was fostered by their coaching staff. I am impressed that our players are showing leadership.