Finally, a big Commit for 2008

Big man commits

And he can play this year.

Nebraska has secured an oral commitment from Jorge Diaz, a 6-foot-11, 220-pound center.

The 19-year-old Diaz, from Cagaus, Puerto Rico, has been approved by the NCAA academic clearinghouse.

He's yet to be admitted by Nebraska, however. Classes begin on Monday.

Diaz also had recruiting interest from Indiana, Arkansas, Iowa State and Loyola Marymount.

This seems like good news ... but it's not official until he's accepted and enrolled. The hardest part, it would seem, is getting him through the clearinghouse, which has happened.

A member of Team Puerto Rico, Diaz played in tournaments this summer in Las Vegas. In four games, he scored 19, 15, 18 and 10 points, and had six blocked shots in one of those games.

Diaz couldn't be reached for comment but told the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette he believes he has a solid overall game.

"I'm comfortable in the half court or running game," Diaz said. "I do a little bit of everything. I shoot well and handle the ball and pass well. My mid-range shot is my best shot."

It's Nebraska's second recent attempt to land a big man to replace departed senior Aleks Maric. Teeng Akol, who'd scheduled a visit to Lincoln earlier this month, instead committed to Oklahoma State.

Nebraska has one scholarship open on this season's roster that had been earmarked for walk-on senior Paul Velander.

In other news, Nebraska coach Doc Sadler said incoming freshman Christopher Niemann is not yet on campus. A waiver conference call with the NCAA on Thursday could shed some light on his eligibility status.

I can't find anything on this guy on rivals and this is all I found on scout, it appears to be him even though its spelt differently and weighs 30 pounds more.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p...amp;nid=3898065

Heres a blog about him:

http://blogs.arkansasonline.com/recruiting/?p=186

Only Picture I've found so far:

571060.jpg

saw some stats from a game where he matched up against Michael Beasley where he went 5 for 8 with 2 rebounds and 3 blocks. No info on who the blocks were on though.

No resolution

8/28/08

by Brian Rosenthal

I guess I shouldn't have been so definitive in my blog last night about "getting resolution" today with the Jorge Diaz situation.

Sorry, but it appears this saga is going to drag into next week, which technically begins Tuesday because of the Labor Day holiday. That's bad news for those patiently waiting for news, but maybe good news in that there might be a glimmer of hope.

When this is resolved, one way or the other, I'll try to explain the problem. Let's just say that if Doc is going to continue recruiting international students, this is a situation that needs addressing. (Which, I guess, is what's happening now, and why it's taking so long).

Also, a tele-conference with the NCAA on Christopher Niemann produced no resolution today. Again, this should be decided next week.

Oh well; we'll have other things to keep our minds occupied this weekend, right?

• 1 month later...

Niemann will have to sit out this year + lose a year of eligibility. Diaz couldn't get enrolled for this semester, but could still make it and start playing by the next semester.

Anybody hear anything further on whether he will be playing the second half or if he is even coming here anymore?

• 2 weeks later...

Niemann will have to sit out this year + lose a year of eligibility. Diaz couldn't get enrolled for this semester, but could still make it and start playing by the next semester.

Anybody hear anything further on whether he will be playing the second half or if he is even coming here anymore?

Sadler holds out hope for Husker big man

The best thing about the start of basketball practice, Nebraska coach Doc Sadler joked, is that questions about Nebraska's big men are finally subsiding.

"Everybody knows we don't have one," he said, "so they quit asking about it."

That comment elicited laughter Wednesday at the season's first "Talk With Doc" luncheon in the Haymarket District.

Of course, the lack of a big man on Nebraska's roster really is no laughing matter.

The Huskers' tallest player — 6-foot-11, 260-pound freshman Christopher Niemann — can't play this season. Niemann, a native of Germany, was ruled ineligible by the NCAA for his participation on a club team in which teammates were paid.

As the situation stands now, Niemann will lose this year of eligibility; however, according to an Oct. 6 report in USA Today, the NCAA Amateurism Cabinet recently met to discuss the current prohibitions on playing with professionals, suggesting "the current definition of a professional team is too broad and unfairly penalizes prospective student-athletes who never intended to professionalize themselves."

Sadler said he's not been in contact with the NCAA regarding potential rule changes or how they could affect Niemann's status, but seemed optimistic about the newspaper report. While it's unlikely Niemann will be deemed eligible this season, a rule change could potentially reinstate his lost season of eligibility.

Whenever Niemann finally sees the court, fans will be impressed, Sadler said.

"He's much better than I thought he was," he said. "I didn't realize he's as good offensively as he is."

As for any other big men dotting this year's roster, Sadler told the crowd, "Maybe we'll get one here pretty soon."

That was a veiled reference to 6-11 forward Jorge Diaz, who's remained committed to Nebraska but is waiting to take his Test Of English as a Foreign Language. Diaz, who lives in Puerto Rico, is expected to take the test later this month.

With a passing TOEFL score, Diaz could join the team in December and be eligible to play immediately.

It's possible, though, that Diaz could redshirt and have four full seasons of eligibility beginning next season. That decision would likely depend on several factors, including Diaz's playing condition when he arrives in Lincoln.

By that time, Sadler will have a general idea of how his team is managing without big guys. Nebraska's tallest eligible player is 6-9 redshirt sophomore Alex Chapman — and he's out at least another two weeks after having knee surgery earlier this month.

"Alex Chapman is struggling," Sadler said. "He's going to have a lot of catching up to do."

Chapman is among four players who redshirted last year. Sadler updated the luncheon crowd on the others, Alonzo Edwards, Brandon Richardson and Toney McCray.

On Edwards: "We need Alonzo to be a good player. I don't know if he's there yet, or ready to be there yet."

On Richardson: "Brandon Richardson is probably as competitive and mentally tough a player as anybody I've ever coached. He may not always make the play, but I can promise you you're going to leaving knowing he gave everything he had."

On McCray: "I told him just yesterday he's probably the most talented kid we've got on our team. … He's got to understand that it's not fun and games any more. You've got to come to work every day. There's more to it than just scoring. If he gets some of Brandon's toughness, Toney McCray could be great."

Sadler said his rotation could include as many as 10 players, and that there will be times he plays with five guards.

"I think it's important for me to put the five best players out there," he said, "regardless of what size they are."

Link:Ljs Wednesday, Oct 15, 2008

• 5 weeks later...

Diaz planning on NU

Diaz should know the results of his foreign language text by the end of next week.

The forward from Puerto Rico, if he passes his test, would join the team in December and be eligible to play second semester.

"I believe I did well," Diaz told primerahora.com, a Puerto Rico news outlet. "If everything goes as I anticipate, I will be able to study and play at UNL for next semester.

“For the moment, what I have been doing is training … go to the gym, go running and throw at the court almost every day. I don’t want to arrive in Nebraska out of shape. I want to be in condition to play as soon as I arrive.”

Link