notes from conference

He called Nu the most prestigious job in the country.

He wanted to wait till after the bowl game to interview out of "respect" to the coaching staff.

The reason for this unexpected press conference is because the $$$ amounts and speculation were ridiculous and getting out of control.

He has an established list of candidates that do include formal interviews with Turner Gill and Bo Pelini.

No offer was ever made to any coach.(What the f#*k?)

He did present examples of his previous hires at Pitt. and elsewhere about people questioning his decsion and time tables and how in most cases it turned out for the best. He also commented on Pete Carroll and Jim Tressel as being third and fourth choices and they worked out.

He called on 1.7 million Nebraskan to "Let us work the process and stand behind me and the decisions we are making", "give us time"

He will not give candidates names out of respect to their Universities.

When asked about recruiting and isn't he afraid of losing some, he basically said oh well you need to get an established coach ion there first. Because with that a good recruiter cab get the job done done no matter the time frame.

He probably does have the best knowledge when it does come to recruiting.

eric "the red"

He says he has never offered the position, yet all these reports are out there. The truth will never come out because all AD's and coaches aregoing to stick together because its the buisness.

It's get hard sometimes to think he's a horrible person. You have got to admit, he has a proven track record of turning programs around.

Pelini and Gill are going to get a shot, I guess thats all we can hope for.

redout

Thanks for the synopsis Eric.

My opinion, on one hand I find it hard to believe that he would just roll down to ARK with a bucket full of $$, and matching luggage with red 'N's on them, and expect Nutt to come home and start coaching. Especially when this seemed to come out of left field. I just find it more believable that he truly was just "interviewing" him, and hoping to bring him back to Lincoln to show old Harvey what he found.

On the other hand, I wouldnt put it past SP to just expect Nutt to drop his family and gig, and start work on Monday. Plus w/ all of the stories which corroborate the monetary offer, and Nutts comments where he said "he didnt actually offer me the position, but Im protecting him also", I have to feel that SP made it pretty clear that if he came back to Lincoln he would have the job.

Overall, SP appears to have botched this one up just the same. Maybe he didnt do too much wrong, but once again he lost in the eye of Public Opinion and the media - and you know how perception can dictate reality.

Man this guy just seems so naive for being an AD of a major program, and being an alleged "mastermind".

Must've skipped his PR class in college. Where did he go to school anyway?