So... how WILL it go tonight?

From the NU side of things, I think we'll be able to run the football. It seems pretty obvious that we're going to establish the run game first.

This game may be a throwback somewhat to the option teams in the number of rushing attempts. I'm looking for about a 75-25 run to pass ratio; maybe more if the game is tight. I'd be surprised if Ganz threw more than 20 times.

Looking at WMU defensively, they have decent, but not great, speed overall. Same could be said for size. Their front four seem to get more outside penetration than upfield. MU's Maclin and others got a lot of YAC against them. I don't see them matching up well for all 4 qtrs. I think the simplified offense, conditioning from 1s vs 1s, and more intuitive playcalling will set us up for success in the second half. Edit: Because we're 3=deep at I back, getting fresh legs in there repeatedly will probably wear them down after half.

Offensively, WMU can move the ball, mainly through the air (about a 2-to-1 ratio). This should be a tough test for our secondary. Their QB Hiller is prone to the INT (17 last year) and their O-line gives up some sacks (28). BUT - vs. Indiana last year, the Hoosiers sacked Hiller 8 times, yet still had to hold off a furious late rally. That game was in Kalamazoo, so playing in Lincoln with the roar of 84,000+ every time he gets canned might get in his head. It should be noted that WMU also garnered 28 sacks themselves.

Because NU probably won't throw so much and BP's focus on creating turnovers, I think we should win the turnover battle. We should win if the TO margin is even, and if it's +2 in favor of us, we might blow them out. WMU was also penalized 95 times last year. Again, with a simplified offense and a renewed focus on discipline, we may have the edge here.

Special teams: This should be huge. WMU averaged 43 yds per punt and 36 yds net last year. They averaged 24 yds per KO ret and 8 per punt ret. We averaged 22 yds per KO return and 8 per punt ret. We did, however, hold our opponents to a lower punt return avg. thann WMU did vs. their opp., so we may be able to win the field position battle.

I picked NU to win 36 - 20. Just too many unanswered questions on defense to go further than that.

We run towards the Slauson/Murtha side of the line all night long but have trouble establishing momentum until the second half. A 13-13 tie at the half when NU's conditioning takes over and we start to dominate the line of scrimmage. WMU adds a meaningless touchdown late. Final score, NU 27, WMU 20.

I think ST will play a big part in this game early on. We have to prove we have a reliable return game. WMU's is more experienced and may give them some opportunities to score.

I agree with more of a 60/40 ratio, if only to let Ganz find that game speed rythme again.

Won't be surprised if WMU can put up a score in the mid 20s or even 30s.

NU 35 WMU 24

Basically what is going to happen tonight will be the huskers running it down WMU throat and making them scramble for points while we will have some tough offense to handle in WMU passing but there run game will get dominated by our front 4 and as for the final score....

NEB: 34

WMU: 10

:horns2

GBR!!! :bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez

We might run away with this one by a lot more than I thought initially. This could turn into a rout. Looking over CFN's WMU preview, it seems that this is a team with some talent, not a whole lot of depth. Their O-line has been retooled. Their front four is tiny (at least on the outside). Their RB attack is decent (for the MAC) and their QB is inconsistent, with backups who have shown little.

They do have serious talent in their defensive back seven (particularly the secondary) and some interesting WRs and WRs pretending to be TEs.

So if I had to guess in-depth, we're going to wear them down, establish a lead, and keep pounding away. They might make a game of it early on (so the cliche goes), but I think ultimately the Huskers run away by at least 21. Our scores will come mostly in the 3rd quarter.