Husker Overview From a Jayhawk Fan

JGS30

To me, Ganz played very well. Can't argue with the numbers he put up. He looked poised in the pocket and made some good things happen. The o-line did well, but I expect them to be even better next week. I still view them as the strong point of this team and I would go as far as ranking them 2nd best in the big 12 (behind OU) for o-line play.

Now, I will admit, I really didn't know what to expect from the defense, but from what I saw they played well. They seemed to have that swagger back and most importnantly nobody quit. True Story-I was at the KU game, but my husker buddy was streaming in footage of the NU game on his cell phone in 45 second increments. I actually saw about 2 quarters of the game. It was awesome. I owe him a case of beer for his troubles....

Any glaring things that stuck out at ya'll during the game?

Now for my Jayhawks. Men, I must admit I saw some glaring concerns up close and personal. The o-line was very suspect and looked very disorganized. Our right tackle was garbage. He was a swinging gate all game and Reesing was practicing his dance moves in the backfield because of it. The guy that won the job at RT didn't even play for some unspecified reason. We hope to hear more later this week because I don't think we can afford to go without the starter against South Florida. Their D-Ends will have a field day if this isn't addressed.

And of course because of the poor line play, we had trouble running the ball. On the bright side the defense was nails, only giving up 149 yards of total offense. They looked better than last year and actually created some havac in the backfield for a change.

Overall, I'd give my Jayhawks a B grade for their performace. Much work to do before USF in two weeks.

<_<

Appreciate the kind words. However, I have to disagree with the assessment of the Huskers' offensive line. I realize that for the last four years the emphasis was on teaching pass-blocking, since it was practically unheard of before the West Coast offense, and that to get back to good run blocking takes time, but I'm seriously concerned about that aspect of the play. Given that the line is supposed to be a strength, and that the opening opponent looked to be ripe for a brusing ground attack, the lack of a running game has me extremely worried. First, given the defense, I think the Huskers desperately need to be able to run the ball to shorten games and to keep pressure off the defense. Second, it's much easier to set up the pass with the run, rather than the other way around. Third, all off-season we've heard that there would be a renewed emphasis on a power running game - but this game certainly didn't seem to bear that out.

I think we have a good stable of backs, and Ganz is a keeper - but without a strong running game and an offensive line that can take control late in a game, we could end up losing some games that we shouldn't.

Appreciate the kind words. However, I have to disagree with the assessment of the Huskers' offensive line. I realize that for the last four years the emphasis was on teaching pass-blocking, since it was practically unheard of before the West Coast offense, and that to get back to good run blocking takes time, but I'm seriously concerned about that aspect of the play. Given that the line is supposed to be a strength, and that the opening opponent looked to be ripe for a brusing ground attack, the lack of a running game has me extremely worried. First, given the defense, I think the Huskers desperately need to be able to run the ball to shorten games and to keep pressure off the defense. Second, it's much easier to set up the pass with the run, rather than the other way around. Third, all off-season we've heard that there would be a renewed emphasis on a power running game - but this game certainly didn't seem to bear that out.

I think we have a good stable of backs, and Ganz is a keeper - but without a strong running game and an offensive line that can take control late in a game, we could end up losing some games that we shouldn't.

I was watching from the South End Zone and was hoping the O-Line looked better from the side lines, but they still worry me. We'll be home watching the SJS game and hope to get a better view.

T_O_B