BCS Softies/ Toughies

sea o' red

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...rightful/080905

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...rmidable/080905

Softies

3. Kansas 14.3%

No. of nonconf. gms. Rec. vs. BCS Rec. vs. I-A non-BCS Rec. vs. I-AA Pct. of gms. vs. BCS

35 1-4 (.200) 15-5 (.750) 10-0 (1.000) .143

Let's zero in on a team that loves to load up on the fluffiest cupcakes of all. The Jayhawks are the only BCS school to have played a I-AA or provisional I-A team in each of the past 10 seasons. Maybe that strategy has something to do with Kansas' lack of nonconference success in the past decade: 1-4, with two losses to Northwestern. Ouch. Kansas does travel to South Florida this season, but the 2008 menu also includes home games against Florida International, Louisiana Tech and Sam Houston State. Bon appetit.

4. Oklahoma State 14.7%

No. of nonconf. gms. Rec. vs. BCS Rec. vs. I-A non-BCS Rec. vs. I-AA Pct. of gms. vs. BCS

34 2-3 (.400) 15-6 (.714) 8-0 (1.000) .147

From 1998 to 2007, only Baylor lost more games to non-BCS teams than the Cowboys among Big 12 teams. Those defeats came at the hands of Houston, Louisiana Tech, Southern Mississippi (twice), Troy and Tulsa. At least Oklahoma State was willing to play Houston and Troy on the road, which is relatively rare among BCS teams. Also, the Cowboys did travel to Georgia last season, and they've already defeated as many BCS nonconference teams on the road in 2008 -- Washington State last week -- as they did in the previous 10 seasons

7. Texas Tech 16.7%

36 2-4 (.333) 21-3 (.875) 6-0 (1.000) .167

The Red Raiders can defend some of their nonconference scheduling as important to maintaining rivalries with former Southwest Conference foes, such as TCU and SMU, and regional opponents, such as New Mexico and UTEP. Playing six I-AA opponents is more difficult to defend, although six other Big 12 teams had as many or more from 1998 to 2007. Tech plays two I-AA teams this season, although its opener against Eastern Washington was added because Tulsa backed out of its contract to play in Lubbock just seven months before the teams' scheduled game.

8. LSU 17.6%

34 4-2 (.667) 22-2 (.917) 4-0 (1.000) .176

The Tigers, winners of two of the past five BCS national championships, have played just three road nonconference games against BCS teams in the past 10 seasons. They're 26-2 against non-BCS foes over that span, with the losses coming at home against UAB and Houston. You might remember when two of our top 10 bullies squared off in Baton Rouge in 2004. The Tigers, coming off the 2003 BCS national championship, escaped with a 22-21 win over Oregon State when Beavers kicker Alexis Serna missed three extra points.

Toughies

8. Miami 51.2%

41 14-7 (.667) 14-1 (.933) 5-0 (1.000) .512

Although the Hurricanes have been entirely unimpressive the past two seasons, their body of work over the first decade of the BCS was among the nation's best. We'll focus on their 14-7 mark against BCS foes outside of conference play. Miami has locked horns with Colorado, Florida, Ohio State, Penn State, Tennessee, Texas A&M and Washington during that span. However, the Hurricanes have played five games against I-AA opponents, the most on this list. At least they haven't lost any of them. Miami's lone defeat to a non-BCS team came against East Carolina in 1999.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...rightful/080905

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...rmidable/080905

Softies

3. Kansas 14.3%

35 1-4 (.200) 15-5 (.750) 10-0 (1.000) .143

Let's zero in on a team that loves to load up on the fluffiest cupcakes of all. The Jayhawks are the only BCS school to have played a I-AA or provisional I-A team in each of the past 10 seasons. Maybe that strategy has something to do with Kansas' lack of nonconference success in the past decade: 1-4, with two losses to Northwestern. Ouch. Kansas does travel to South Florida this season, but the 2008 menu also includes home games against Florida International, Louisiana Tech and Sam Houston State. Bon appetit.

4. Oklahoma State 14.7%

34 2-3 (.400) 15-6 (.714) 8-0 (1.000) .147

From 1998 to 2007, only Baylor lost more games to non-BCS teams than the Cowboys among Big 12 teams. Those defeats came at the hands of Houston, Louisiana Tech, Southern Mississippi (twice), Troy and Tulsa. At least Oklahoma State was willing to play Houston and Troy on the road, which is relatively rare among BCS teams. Also, the Cowboys did travel to Georgia last season, and they've already defeated as many BCS nonconference teams on the road in 2008 -- Washington State last week -- as they did in the previous 10 seasons

7. Texas Tech 16.7%

36 2-4 (.333) 21-3 (.875) 6-0 (1.000) .167

The Red Raiders can defend some of their nonconference scheduling as important to maintaining rivalries with former Southwest Conference foes, such as TCU and SMU, and regional opponents, such as New Mexico and UTEP. Playing six I-AA opponents is more difficult to defend, although six other Big 12 teams had as many or more from 1998 to 2007. Tech plays two I-AA teams this season, although its opener against Eastern Washington was added because Tulsa backed out of its contract to play in Lubbock just seven months before the teams' scheduled game.

8. LSU 17.6%

34 4-2 (.667) 22-2 (.917) 4-0 (1.000) .176

The Tigers, winners of two of the past five BCS national championships, have played just three road nonconference games against BCS teams in the past 10 seasons. They're 26-2 against non-BCS foes over that span, with the losses coming at home against UAB and Houston. You might remember when two of our top 10 bullies squared off in Baton Rouge in 2004. The Tigers, coming off the 2003 BCS national championship, escaped with a 22-21 win over Oregon State when Beavers kicker Alexis Serna missed three extra points.

Toughies

8. Miami 51.2%

41 14-7 (.667) 14-1 (.933) 5-0 (1.000) .512

Although the Hurricanes have been entirely unimpressive the past two seasons, their body of work over the first decade of the BCS was among the nation's best. We'll focus on their 14-7 mark against BCS foes outside of conference play. Miami has locked horns with Colorado, Florida, Ohio State, Penn State, Tennessee, Texas A&M and Washington during that span. However, the Hurricanes have played five games against I-AA opponents, the most on this list. At least they haven't lost any of them. Miami's lone defeat to a non-BCS team came against East Carolina in 1999.

I don't get the point. Overall, we have one of the most difficult schedules in the country. On the road to USF and OU, neutral site w/Mizzou, home for TT and UT. A road game, in Lincoln, is our 6th or 7th hardest test. Yeah, its cake over here. So what if Sam Houston State and FIU are not good. Even LA Tech beat Mississippi State. I would trade Nebraska schedule this year, no question. As for the past years, we were a pretty avergae team in a very good conference. We needed some wins. Sorry, but since we usually used to go 3-5 in the Big 12 in a good year, it made sense to try and be 4-0 non conference, to at least make a bowl a possibility. Look what Mangino built, we are better now by a lot, and it worked for K-State too, so I am not gonna argue....