Callahans Recruits

holvy83

Robsker, you're putting waaay to much emphasis on stars! They don't mean jack. If they meant something, Missouri and Kansas wouldn't be where they are at right now.

You just seem hellbent to say that we suck and our recruiting sucks. Let it go man.

and yet now that they are getting more attention MU and KU are recruiting higher star players....... hmmmmm

Robsker, you're putting waaay to much emphasis on stars! They don't mean jack. If they meant something, Missouri and Kansas wouldn't be where they are at right now.

You just seem hellbent to say that we suck and our recruiting sucks. Let it go man.

I see where you are coming from. I am not hellbent on saying we suck --- but I am trying to say that we are not quite top 25 talent (which is far from sucking). My goal is to convey that the problems were more deep than just player development --- it was talent level too. I say this so that if (and likely when) the Huskers this season hit a losing streak of some magnitude, posters here will recognize that it will not be yet another staff that "couldn't maximize out talent" --- my fear is that the fans may run coaches out of town on a rail (or at least attempt to) if they think that our rebuilding process is too slow (predicated on the mistaken notion that we have talent that should hang with the top teams).

I guess as a Husker fan I really hope that if a 6 (or 7) win season is what we end up with that the fans do not melt down. We can only expect so much out of this team at this point. The B12 is a great conference and anything better than 7 wins (and maybe even 7 wins itself this season) will be a great accomplishment. I simply hope that we, collectively, see such a record as a good move in the right direction rather than reason to take Pelini to task.

As for Melscott --- I appreciate your looking up numbers --- your numbers helped a great deal. The average stars were from the mid teens to upper teens. Yes other schools have attrition too. Ours has been high (as you point out that a good subset of 4 stars are gone). It is not unreasonable to say fringe top 25 or so when all is factored in. Much like I said. Not bad, but not great.

I see where you are coming from. I am not hellbent on saying we suck --- but I am trying to say that we are not quite top 25 talent (which is far from sucking). My goal is to convey that the problems were more deep than just player development --- it was talent level too. I say this so that if (and likely when) the Huskers this season hit a losing streak of some magnitude, posters here will recognize that it will not be yet another staff that "couldn't maximize out talent" --- my fear is that the fans may run coaches out of town on a rail (or at least attempt to) if they think that our rebuilding process is too slow (predicated on the mistaken notion that we have talent that should hang with the top teams).

I guess as a Husker fan I really hope that if a 6 (or 7) win season is what we end up with that the fans do not melt down. We can only expect so much out of this team at this point. The B12 is a great conference and anything better than 7 wins (and maybe even 7 wins itself this season) will be a great accomplishment. I simply hope that we, collectively, see such a record as a good move in the right direction rather than reason to take Pelini to task.

As for Melscott --- I appreciate your looking up numbers --- your numbers helped a great deal. The average stars were from the mid teens to upper teens. Yes other schools have attrition too. Ours has been high (as you point out that a good subset of 4 stars are gone). It is not unreasonable to say fringe top 25 or so when all is factored in. Much like I said. Not bad, but not great.

I dont think 5 in 3 years is that high at all if it is we are talking about maybe one or 2 players. that is not enough to drop them from an average of 14th to fringe top 25

I don't see a problem with the talent. But no matter how much some people want to suck Bo off, it's still his first year as HC. He's coming into a program that, despite having good talent, drastically underachieved last season. It generally takes some time for a coach to get things in order and get the team rolling the way he wants them to roll. Yep, there are exceptions, but when you take Bo as being a rookie HC, and the craptastic performance last season, it's going to take a little while to get things totally righted. It's a learning experience for the coaches as well as the players. We're already seeing improvements, and that's a good sign for things to come in future seasons.

Talent gives a team a starting point. Beyond that you have to keep the players, keep them eligible and healthy, coach them up, get players matched up with positions where they can excel, and get some luck.

I am totally convinced that the number of stars, and rating services in general, are way over rated. They exist to get money from fans. There is not that much difference between a 5* and a 4*, it is subjective, and doesn't reflect character, hard work, and "good fit" for a system.

The main problem with the-coach-whose-name-shall-not-be-mentioned is how he recruited. "Come play AT Nebraska and I can get you to the League", flashing his last place super bowl ring. He got INDIVIDUALS with great potential, instead of team mates. When things go OK (2006) it works. When stressed, it crumbles into individuals bickering and finger pointing like last year.

I don't see a problem with the talent. But no matter how much some people want to suck Bo off, it's still his first year as HC. He's coming into a program that, despite having good talent, drastically underachieved last season. It generally takes some time for a coach to get things in order and get the team rolling the way he wants them to roll. Yep, there are exceptions, but when you take Bo as being a rookie HC, and the craptastic performance last season, it's going to take a little while to get things totally righted. It's a learning experience for the coaches as well as the players. We're already seeing improvements, and that's a good sign for things to come in future seasons.

Pretty homo-erotic, don't ya think???

I suppose. What's your point?

the more I read your crap the more I like it. good post

I suppose. What's your point?

Oh, you meant to be??

:LOLtartar

Never mind.