I am not calling for Watsons head

husker rob

most of you are not getting what I tried to say.

so let me try and make it a little more clear.

1. I like Watson, and think he is a very good OC.

2. Watson will make HC somewhere, if that is what he chooses to do.

3. I wish that Bo has the same type of assistant loyalty that T.O. had as a HC, but I am afraid that those days are in the past.

4. "IF" Watson was to "CHOOSE" to leave for a better position, at the end of the year, would you like to have Kiffen as a replacement.

as for Watson being on the sidelines, it might just be that he is the QB coach also and maybe he needs to be at a place, where he can look into the eyes of the QB and tell them that things are going to be OK, settle down, ect.

also he could look in their eyes and might notice if someone is loosing confidence, or what ever. instead of just listening and talking through the head set

dont know who to put in the booth though

hope that helps

Just a quick thought for all of you to ponder as you contemplate firing our OC after one loss. Our players have had 4 years of poor coaching, ingraining poor techniques, and poor habits. If any of you have ever been through any sort of intense training, you'd understand that you practice over and over until it becomes muscle memory. Football is a sport where if you need time to think about your technique or your responsibilities, it's too late, you are beat. All these techniques need to be like breathing, they need to just happen.

Now, every week you hear Pelini harping on executing during practice and games. Our players have to get to the point where the new techniques take over for the poor, and that's when you'll see marked improvement in the O-line, D-line, LB's and DB's. You just watch, by the mid way point of the season, you'll be seeing vastly improved blocking, better gap responsibility, and more pass deflections and less big plays. It won't be in time for Missouri, but by the time we play OU, I see us being able to run more effectively and playing better defense just because of the extra practice time.

I've read on other boards about getting on Watson for not running the ball enough, and that is a perfectly fine gripe, but in order to move the ball, we need balance and some outside the box thinking. I think the running game would vastly improve by adding a FB to the equation. I don't think Lawson or Mackovicka have seen the field yet this year. Throw in some counters and FB dive to the mix, that shakes it up a bit on O and will free up some toss sweeps, options, and draws. Sprinkle in some play action and some deep crossing patterns, and voila, your moving the ball again. (at least in my own theory!)

Let me know what you think. I do think we need to give some time for our players to get to the point where they lose these bad habits, hopefully sooner rather then later.

Lawson has played. But he had his appendix taken out a couple weeks ago and hasn't played since...

:bonez

I don't think Watson is a long term OC at Nebraska.

Kiffin would be a great hire but I wouldn't expect him to hang around long either.

There is a coach in Sioux Falls, SD who could be a diamond in the rough. His name is Curtis Riggs and he has a great resume. National Champion as a QB. National Champion as an assistant NAIA college coach. And a four time National Champion for the Sioux Falls Storm, an arena league team, 3 straight undefeated seasons. Granted he's always been on a small stage but he's also been a winner every where he has either played or coached.

T_O_B

:bonez

Watson is doing fine so far. The problem is just the lack of overall talent and too many youngsters on the offensive side. Watson is doing what he can with what we have available, and we're not doing too bad in the throwing department.

It's the offensive line that worries me most. No running game, Ganz being pushed out of the pocket against VA Tech which made some of his throws off need to be a priority to get up to speed. We have some talent on the line, but Cotton has a lot of work to do to get these guys up to par. I'm just not sure the coaching staff has had the time to do all that was needed to repair this team.