Big game brings more touted recruits

Big game brings more touted recruits

By BRIAN CHRISTOPHERSON and BRIAN ROSENTHAL / Lincoln Journal Star

Friday, Oct 03, 2008 - 12:41:43 am CDT

Nebraska is following up an impressive list of visiting recruits last week with another touted batch of visitors for Saturday’s game against Missouri.

Recruits anticipated in Lincoln include defensive back Anthony Carpenter (Gardena, Calif.), defensive tackle Latu Heimuli (Salt Lake City), running back Dalton Hilliard (Honolulu, offensive lineman Jeremiah Sirles (Lakewood, Colo.), defensive back Dijon Washington (Lawndale, Calif.) and linebacker Chris Williams (Abilene, Texas).

Heimuli, Washington and Williams are rated by Rivals.com as four-star players. For the curious, this Dalton Hilliard is not the son of the Hilliard who was a star at LSU and played in the NFL.

How does NU coach Bo Pelini approach these early season visitors?

"I ask them kind of what they're thinking, what their approach is. I don't really believe in trying to force a commitment and get them in there and squeeze them," Pelini said Thursday. "You don't want to put too much pressure on them, because if you do pressure them and get a commitment, what happens? They go back and say, 'Ah, he talked me into doing it. That isn't really what we want to do.'

“We sell what we have. Every situation is a little bit different. I think you have to take into account how the kids are looking at it, how their parents look at it, how their coaches look at it."

Pelini said he’s pleased with the number of visitors Nebraska has hosted in its first five games.

“Usually the ones you get to visit now are guys that are going to go for a while and take their visits,” he said. “It's gone well and I think recruiting is headed in the right direction.”

Pelini figures the environment surrounding Saturday night’s nationally televised game can only help matters.

"I think this is a great selling point, the game day atmosphere, the people, the weather, this time of year," Pelini said. "The atmosphere is a big thing for us, a big selling point for us. It's important that (recruits) see the environment that they'd be coming to."