OU v NU

I am hammered on the kool-aid this week. :koolaid2:

I think it is a fair assessment and Nebraska probably SHOULD lose by about 17-20, if OU plays like they usually do and NU plays like they usually do. I just have a feeling that this game is going to be the shocker in the Big 12 this season. I don't know why, I just have a feeling.

I am hammered on the kool-aid this week. :koolaid2:

I think it is a fair assessment and Nebraska probably SHOULD lose by about 17-20, if OU plays like they usually do and NU plays like they usually do. I just have a feeling that this game is going to be the shocker in the Big 12 this season. I don't know why, I just have a feeling.

:corndance:corndance:corndance

Sounds fair to me. If NU doesn't maintain ball control like they have the past 3 games then OU is gonna put a whoopin' on us. Bradford is a damn good QB (better than McCoy IMO). The key for NU to come away with a win is to keep Bradford and the rest of the offense on the sideline. We have to control the clock like we did against TT. Otherwise, look for OU to easily cover the spread and then some.

I agree, it does seem like a fair assessment but I think we can control the ball against them. We are far more balanced offensively then both KU and KSUcks and that's what it takes to sustain long drives. Against Texas Tech the Huskers learned the value of keeping the opposing offense off the field, and I think they'll have a similar plan against the Sooners. The big issue is turnovers and if we can protect the ball we'll be OK!!

OU has given up quite a few yards these last couple of weeks but they were mostly the results of big plays and not long, time consuming drives. Both Kansas and KSUcks failed to keep OU's offense off the field and the lopsided scores displays the results. Kansas only had one drive over 6 plays all game, a 9 play drive that ended with an INT. Their average drive was only 5 plays and lasted only 1:40. KSUcks nearly matched the in-state mediocrity, though they did have a 10 and a 12 play drive but neither ended with points. With 5 turnovers and no second half offense the Pussycats buried themselves in their own crap. Nearly all their points came in a brief 7 minutes in the 1st half and can mostly be attributed to blown coverages and missed tackles.

The Huskers have their work cut out for them but if they can protect the ball, sustain long, time consuming drives and maybe force one or two 3 and outs they'll not only be in the game but could very well stick it to the mighty Sooners. I can't wait, GBR!!!

(Oh yeah, I do disagree with your Big 12 QB assessment. Bradford is good, but IMO McCoy is a tad better!! He's more efficient and has better wheels.)

Ball Control!?!

NU looks to control football

LINCOLN — The numbers appear to indicate that Nebraska can control the football against Oklahoma with an effective passing game, much like the Huskers have done during the past three weeks to re-energize their season.

Stats and trends, though, may have little impact on what happens after 7 p.m. on Saturday in Norman, Okla.

"It's Oklahoma," Nebraska receiver Todd Peterson said. "No matter what happened last week or the week before that, they're going to have guys who can make plays."

For the sake of interesting discussion, check out this gaudy data gathered from the Huskers' three-week-long offensive renaissance: Against Texas Tech, Iowa State and Baylor, the Huskers converted 25 of 42 third-down opportunities (59.5 percent) and possessed the football 69 percent of the time.

Quarterback Joe Ganz, in the past three games, is 95-of-127 passing (74.8 percent) for 1,013 yards with six touchdowns and one interception.

"It doesn't change just because we're facing a big opponent like OU," Ganz said. "We're still going to stick to our game plan and do what we do best."

And there's no denying that the fourth-ranked Sooners have struggled defensively during those same three weeks. OU allowed 45 points in its lone loss against Texas, followed by 31 to Kansas in Norman two weeks ago and 35 in a 23-point win on Saturday at Kansas State.

The Wildcats threw for 486 yards and also set OU opponent highs for this season in yards per attempt (9.3), touchdown passes (4), total offense (550), total plays (84) and pass completions (30).

The three-week slide coincides with the absence of junior Ryan Reynolds. The star middle linebacker suffered a season-ending knee injury on Oct. 11 as the Sooners led Texas 28-20 in the third quarter.

Shawn Watson isn't buying talk of the Sooners' defensive demise.

The Nebraska offensive coordinator praised Oklahoma for its talent and scheme. The Sooners, in fact, continue to lead the Big 12 in passing-efficiency defense.

In addition, they allow a 28.8 percent third-down conversion rate to rank sixth nationally.

Still, Watson said, the Huskers are "very much concentrating on us" no matter the opponent.

Watson, coach Bo Pelini, Ganz and several other Huskers agreed this week that Nebraska's ball-control style must continue against Oklahoma. And throwing for nearly 500 yards like K-State, according to Ganz, isn't necessarily the right way to do it.

"They forced Kansas State to throw the ball all over, and that's something we don't want to do," the senior quarterback said. "We want to be balanced enough so they can't choose one or the other."

Why has Nebraska been so good at this style offensively?

"That's the way we've been practicing," guard Matt Slauson said. "We've had massive reps, and we keep grinding and chewing clock. It's been a tough couple weeks, but you practice as you play."

Peterson said it's happening because Nebraska continues to put itself in manageable third-down situations, allowing it to extend possessions.

More than anything, Watson said, it's a mind-set.

"Guys get it," he said. "They're executing our offense. Our staff has done a nice job of putting together a plan, and it plays to what our guys do well. Our guys are executing. They get it. They understand what we're trying to do."