Nebraska vs. Culture

Has culture changed from what it was 10-20 years ago? Especially with young adults? I was just thinking how we are such a commercial and materialistic society now and this can influence a kids decision on where he wants to go to school to play football. Is it really about going to the best "football" school anymore? Almost everything in our culture now is glamorous and flashy. For example, today's rap music. I use this as an example because I'm probably safe saying that this is what most of these kids are listening to these days. And if you hear the music today, they are always talking about "their city" if you know what I mean. It's like rap music is PR for the city's commerce. There is nothing "glamorous" about Nebraska. Cornfields, cornfields, and cornfields, and plus the stereo-type. It might be "uncool" to come to a place like Nebraska or Iowa. They'd rather go to Miami or Los Angeles in the bright lights, nice cars, and night life. I think that this may have always been the case but I think that it's more now than ever. I think that the way that we glorify athletes has changed the mindset of young prospects. They see the flash more than the main attributes. Therefore, their goals have changed. I think that it has changed the way coaches approach recruiting as well. The program's tradition and the coach's reputation no longer have the pull as it did in the past. Now coaches have to "blow smoke up the player's butt" and tell him things that HE the player wants to hear.

I think you have some very valid points and I agree with alot of what you say, but I personally believe the main issues regarding recruiting the star athletes/culture of CFB has infiltrated from the NFL. Today's college football/culture has been infiltrated by NFL coaches and the status/recruiting/culture that comes with it. Pete Carroll's success at USC and ESPN glorifying it to the almighty does nothing but magnify it more. You never saw this problem nearly as much prior because I can't think of 1 former NFL HC that did well in the college game before him. Honestly USC just took the place of Miami during the course of this decade. Even though he's hated by many in Nebraska, I think Steve Pederson really was in touch with what the current super star HS athlete wants in a college-stepping stone to the NFL. No tradition, they don't care which coach it is or school it is as long as it gives them a good shot at the league. He rolled the dice with Cally even though the odds were totally stacked against him, but I guarantee you if Cally won BIG his third year and brought in a better DC, he's still at NU and more and more stud recruits are flocking to NU just because of the NFL connection. That and the stud recruits would have to see NU pump out draft picks. It would have nothing to do with NU, it's tradition or it's location, they would come. That's why you saw NU's recruiting class last year implode infront of our eyes when they found out Cally was gone. There's been more then enough stories about last year when the season went into the crapper about the players just playing to help their draft status. Then total fallout happened and it's gonna take Bo more then a couple of years to change this. That's why you saw a desperate Notre Dame hire Weiss, NU with Cally, Alabama with Saban, Tennessee trying to pull out the NFL card with the Kiffins. Heck our current HC probably uses it as one of his selling points on recruiting. Pete Carroll changed the culture of college football for better or worse depending on your point of view. 1 horrible EX-NFL head coach changed everything.

My hold up as I watch college football is you can even sense it with the players on the sidelines. Yes they want to win, but you don't see the love/friendship relationship that they have with their HC's. At least that's what I've noticed.

This decade the closest I've seen players being absolutely stoked about winning a MNC game for their coach was Texas and Mack Brown in 2005. Prior to that was B. Bowden in 1999, the Tennessee players were happy for Fulmer in 1998, and of course TO in 1997. Did LSU players last year seem happy to win the game for Miles, hell no.

I think the bottom line comes down to the recruits wanting to go to the school that is winning at that time. It takes a good/great coach to win at first and once they do the recruits will start knocking down the doors to come to their school. Pete Carrol is a great coach in my opinion but before he was at USC they didnt have near the talent that they do now. He won pretty much right away and is a very good recruiter so he ended up stocking up on local talent. I also agree with many points that have already been said, but IMO bottom line is that Pelini has already laid his foundation with a pretty decent first year. If he comes out and wins 9 or 10 games next year then the recruits will be flowing in. I think when all things are tied and distance is not a factor then that is when things like tradition and relationships come in to play.