Coaches on Next Year's Hotseat...

My thoughts on the BCS conference hot seats.

Hawkins - another holiday season at home and he probably gets the axe. 7-5 and I think they keep him.

Weiss - this seat is surface of the sun hot. Anything less than 9 wins and I think he wears out his welcome. Next year's Schedule is softer than this year's.

Rich Rod - Honeymoon is long over. No Bowl game = no job.

Sherman - fairly warm, but unless they finish dead last in the south again, I think they bring him back for a 3rd year. But I can't see a long term career for him. Just call him Bill Callahan 2.0.

Kragthorpe - Louisville loved what they got from Petrino, and a .500 club is not what they have in mind. Probably gets a 2010 season, but may not get to finish it.

Wulf at Washington State - Another 1-11 or close and he's toast. No worry for buy out, they are paying him less than many of the coordinators in the Big 12.

• 2 weeks later...

Somehow I Think Dan Hawkins's days in Boulder are numbered. It'll be year 4 for him and he has a lousy, Callahan-like win loss record. look for the winds of change to start blowing in Boulder probably in October.

Who else do all of you think could be short timers?

You may be right - but bear in mind that a big part of the problem for the Buffs this year was injuries that just wouldn't quit. Damn near the entire offensive line - two deep - was injured for most of the year. Hard to generate an offense that way.

In fact, don't be surprised if Colorado has a pretty good year next year. They have an experienced quarterback (how good is another debate for another time), and there's just no way a team could have the kind of injuries that team had two years in a row. And Hawkins has been recruiting pretty well.

Let's put it this way - either Colorado "breaks through" next year (when there will be no excuses) or Hawkins will be gone. He can't afford just a so-so year.

Agreed, if you look at the injury situation this year and the fact that our schedule softens considerably next season 8 wins is easily attainable and not unquestionable to flirt with 10. Hawk isn't going anywhere soon either because he has worked tirelessly to clean up the overall image of the program, which has been lost in the record. Plus Barnett left the program high and dry in terms of talent.