21 verbal commitments, but Pelini wants more

The Daily Nebraskan

With less than three weeks remaining until National Signing Day and 21 verbal commitments already in Nebraska's bag, Cornhuskers coach Bo Pelini has said he's looking to add a player or two before the Feb. 4 deadline.

With the recent decommitment of Kevin Young, landing another defensive end seems to be a point of focus for the coaching staff.

Junior college defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul is one of the highest-rated uncommitted players at his position, and Nebraska is among his top college candidates.

Pierre-Paul, a strong-side defensive end from Fort Scott Community College in Fort Scott, Kan., visited Nebraska in September. He is scheduled to visit Kansas State this weekend and has already visited Arizona and South Florida.

"Jason's been offered by practically everyone in the country," Fort Scott coach Jeff Sims said. "He's a gifted athlete. He's 6-foot-6 and runs like a six-footer. He's long-armed, he's fast. With all his pads on, he can do a backflip."

Sims said the most important quality for Pierre-Paul when it comes to selecting a school will be its position coach, which he considers a strength for Nebraska.

"Carl Pelini is an outstanding defensive coordinator and defensive line coach," Sims said. "I don't think that he could have a better coach than Carl Pelini."

The college recruiting Web site Scout.com rates Pierre-Paul as a five-star prospect. He collected 67 tackles this season, including 20.5 for loss, and led Fort Scott with 10.5 sacks in 10 games. He attends the same junior college as wide receiver Brandon Kinnie, a current Husker commit.

Another possibility for the Huskers is Bennie Logan. The 6-foot-2 defensive end from Red River High School in Coushatta, La., has received significant interest from Nebraska.

Logan, a three-star recruit who could also play defensive tackle, visited Lincoln Nov. 28 for the Colorado game and will make visits to LSU and Texas Tech later this month. He visited Michigan last weekend.

"He's told me Nebraska is up real high on his list," said Red River coach Reginald Prelow. "Nebraska was one of the first ones that offered him."

Prelow credits defensive ends coach John Papuchis for Nebraska's progress with Logan.

"Coach J.P. has been down here a number of times and has spent time with him. I feel like he's developed a good relationship with us," Prelow said.

Logan is looking for a school with good academics and a program that will give him a chance for early playing time.

"He wants to play now, and I think that will influence his decision," Prelow said. "As a player, he's just relentless. He's got a motor, and he comes off that edge hard play after play."

The team already has a verbal commitment from Jason Ankrah, a 6-foot-4 defensive end from Quince Orchard High School in Gaithersburg, Md. Ankrah, a four-star prospect on both Rivals.com and Scout.com, committed in December and is considered one of the top commits to the Huskers' recruiting class.

Young, a 6-foot-4 defensive end from Olathe North in Olathe, Kan., renewed his pledge to Kansas on Jan. 9. He had been committed to the Jayhawks since July, but backed out of it in favor of the Huskers following his visit to Lincoln on Nov. 28 for the Nebraska-KU game.

Young told Scout.com he was unhappy that the coaching staff hadn't stopped recruiting at his position.

"I felt like I was told one thing and other things were occurring. They were still recruiting defensive ends and playing time seemed like an issue. I just feel like I will be better off at Kansas," Young told the Web site on Jan. 9.

The Huskers will welcome back senior Barry Turner, who went down with a broken left leg against San Jose State on Sept. 6. Turner will receive a medical redshirt and have one more season of eligibility. His replacement, sophomore Pierre Allen, thrived in the starting role and collected 52 tackles and 5 sacks.

Beyond Allen and Turner, there is little experienced depth. True freshman Cameron Meredith appeared in one game but is also expected to receive a medical redshirt for the season. Redshirt freshman William Yancy was the only other defensive end to see playing time, appearing in one game.

one thing i hate about this board is that the second a kid doesnt pick NU we just bash the crap out of the kid, insulting him both as a player and a person......

but with that being said, I just have to shake my head at the highlighted statement

I'm not bashing the kid when I say with an attitude like that, we're probably better off. He's afraid to compete against other freshmen. We have no use for him. Kansas can have him. Competition is something every person on that team is going to have to get used to and quickly. His decommitment doesn't matter. I said the same thing about the LB Goldston when he was quoted as saying he was worried about the walk-on situation at LB. What the hell kind of a star athlete is afraid of walk-ons?

The Daily Nebraskan

With less than three weeks remaining until National Signing Day and 21 verbal commitments already in Nebraska's bag, Cornhuskers coach Bo Pelini has said he's looking to add a player or two before the Feb. 4 deadline.

With the recent decommitment of Kevin Young, landing another defensive end seems to be a point of focus for the coaching staff.

Junior college defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul is one of the highest-rated uncommitted players at his position, and Nebraska is among his top college candidates.

Pierre-Paul, a strong-side defensive end from Fort Scott Community College in Fort Scott, Kan., visited Nebraska in September. He is scheduled to visit Kansas State this weekend and has already visited Arizona and South Florida.

"Jason's been offered by practically everyone in the country," Fort Scott coach Jeff Sims said. "He's a gifted athlete. He's 6-foot-6 and runs like a six-footer. He's long-armed, he's fast. With all his pads on, he can do a backflip."

Sims said the most important quality for Pierre-Paul when it comes to selecting a school will be its position coach, which he considers a strength for Nebraska.

"Carl Pelini is an outstanding defensive coordinator and defensive line coach," Sims said. "I don't think that he could have a better coach than Carl Pelini."

The college recruiting Web site Scout.com rates Pierre-Paul as a five-star prospect. He collected 67 tackles this season, including 20.5 for loss, and led Fort Scott with 10.5 sacks in 10 games. He attends the same junior college as wide receiver Brandon Kinnie, a current Husker commit.

Another possibility for the Huskers is Bennie Logan. The 6-foot-2 defensive end from Red River High School in Coushatta, La., has received significant interest from Nebraska.

Logan, a three-star recruit who could also play defensive tackle, visited Lincoln Nov. 28 for the Colorado game and will make visits to LSU and Texas Tech later this month. He visited Michigan last weekend.

"He's told me Nebraska is up real high on his list," said Red River coach Reginald Prelow. "Nebraska was one of the first ones that offered him."

Prelow credits defensive ends coach John Papuchis for Nebraska's progress with Logan.

"Coach J.P. has been down here a number of times and has spent time with him. I feel like he's developed a good relationship with us," Prelow said.

Logan is looking for a school with good academics and a program that will give him a chance for early playing time.

"He wants to play now, and I think that will influence his decision," Prelow said. "As a player, he's just relentless. He's got a motor, and he comes off that edge hard play after play."

The team already has a verbal commitment from Jason Ankrah, a 6-foot-4 defensive end from Quince Orchard High School in Gaithersburg, Md. Ankrah, a four-star prospect on both Rivals.com and Scout.com, committed in December and is considered one of the top commits to the Huskers' recruiting class.

Young, a 6-foot-4 defensive end from Olathe North in Olathe, Kan., renewed his pledge to Kansas on Jan. 9. He had been committed to the Jayhawks since July, but backed out of it in favor of the Huskers following his visit to Lincoln on Nov. 28 for the Nebraska-KU game.

Young told Scout.com he was unhappy that the coaching staff hadn't stopped recruiting at his position.

"I felt like I was told one thing and other things were occurring. They were still recruiting defensive ends and playing time seemed like an issue. I just feel like I will be better off at Kansas," Young told the Web site on Jan. 9.

The Huskers will welcome back senior Barry Turner, who went down with a broken left leg against San Jose State on Sept. 6. Turner will receive a medical redshirt and have one more season of eligibility. His replacement, sophomore Pierre Allen, thrived in the starting role and collected 52 tackles and 5 sacks.

Beyond Allen and Turner, there is little experienced depth. True freshman Cameron Meredith appeared in one game but is also expected to receive a medical redshirt for the season. Redshirt freshman William Yancy was the only other defensive end to see playing time, appearing in one game.

one thing i hate about this board is that the second a kid doesnt pick NU we just bash the crap out of the kid, insulting him both as a player and a person......

but with that being said, I just have to shake my head at the highlighted statement

All I had to say about it is that it was a chickensh#t move, and it was. Best of luck to the kid, but he didn't handle the situation like a man. Maybe he will learn from this in the future, who knows.

I'm not bashing the kid when I say with an attitude like that, we're probably better off. He's afraid to compete against other freshmen. We have no use for him. Kansas can have him. Competition is something every person on that team is going to have to get used to and quickly. His decommitment doesn't matter. I said the same thing about the LB Goldston when he was quoted as saying he was worried about the walk-on situation at LB. What the hell kind of a star athlete is afraid of walk-ons?

Haha exactly, really these kids who complain about competition are just proving their worth as a recruit. It really puts off the impression that they want a starting spot handed to them on a silver platter. They probably spent 4 years in highschool getting all the PT they can handle without having to push themselves and hate the idea of actually having to outwork someone. Do you think that any of the husker legends were afraid of competition? Especially when it comes to our D-line legends, those MOFO's got the job because they had absolutely zero quit and worked their tail off everyday. IMO the d-line is probably more about work ethic than any other defensive position, you cannot ride on your talent alone.

The Daily Nebraskan

:yeah There is a lot of :nutz going on