Home field advantage..

That was an interesting read. But I wouldn't bet on it...no pun intended.

I've tossed all my 'tip sheets' that have research done by betting analysts from last fall. The past few years we've lost our edge at home but here's hoping we get our mojo back under Bo et al. But the standard home field advantage in football is 3 points as was stated. And NU still has more than a 3 point home field advantage.

I really did enjoy the article and hearing from others on their theory of home/visitor performance.

You should NEVER take home field into account when betting, because the bookies already have. I don't do a ton of betting anymore (god I sound old, I'm 25), but two general rules I have are to not bet on an underdog unless you think they can win (tough in CFB, better in NFL) and NEVER bet on any of your teams

You should NEVER take home field into account when betting, because the bookies already have. I don't do a ton of betting anymore (god I sound old, I'm 25), but two general rules I have are to not bet on an underdog unless you think they can win (tough in CFB, better in NFL) and NEVER bet on any of your teams

if you can't pick 8-10 underdogs who will win their game that week you don't know your football.

I might be one of the few people who think that home field advantage is one of the most overrated ideas in sports. The best teams in the nation are teams that are not affected by an opposing teams home field, and there are countless times throughout the year that we see teams get flat out embarrassed in their home court (uhhh, MU v. NU 2008 :bang ). I think home field provides a little fuel to the fire for the home team, but has less than maybe 5% to do with why a home team wins a game.

if you can't pick 8-10 underdogs who will win their game that week you don't know your football.

What do you mean? Ones that will cover or actually win? Judging from the 8-10 comment, I'm assuming you're talking college. Like I said, it's easier to pick underdogs to simply cover in college football. In the NFL, generally when an underdog covers, they win. You shouldn't pick a team because you think they can keep it "close" in the NFL.